• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hico for sale

djcj9k

I have a 2000 Hico for sale. This cat includes winter snow tracks and summer dirt tracks. It is a hydrostatic drive system which means it has a zero turn radius. It also includes a metal front window bars for working in the woods or brush. The engine is a Cummins 4B 3.3 liter turbo diesel. There are five seats with safety belts. A joystick controls speed and direction. Less than 380 hours. Check out the videos on the video page at coloradosnowcat.com $45,000

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 2000 Hico for sale. This cat includes winter snow tracks and summer dirt tracks. It is a hydrostatic drive system which means it has a zero turn radius. It also includes a metal front window bars for working in the woods or brush. The engine is a Cummins 4B 3.3 liter turbo diesel. There are five seats with safety belts. A joystick controls speed and direction. Less than 380 hours. Check out the videos on the video page at coloradosnowcat.com $45,000

Funny a member here test drove that machine about a month ago when it was in NY forsale on craiglist when all of sudden it stopped locked up and he flew into the windshield breaking his glasses and drawing blood. (cracking the glass ) it must have bee a expensive fix cause then it was only 25,000 . after speaking with the former company employee of HICO was learned that only one was made. and for a reason? The member can come forward if he wants.
this cat if following the footsteps of the not so long ago Thiokol that went to Canada

undy

I don't know this "Big Al" yet, but gee, you guys sure give him grief. I assume he's a friend...

SIMONALLEN

To be exact there was 5 made but they were all different, prototypes, and when we bought Hico we dropped the 01 model totally. As they cost to much to make for there size. The cab alone new is worth at least $20,000 brand new.

djcj9k

If someone has had a problem with this Hico please contact me. The previous owner said there were no problems with it. It has operated great for me. However, I would like to know if there is a potential problem.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If someone has had a problem with this Hico please contact me. The previous owner said there were no problems with it. It has operated great for me. However, I would like to know if there is a potential problem.

you may want to look for turtles and fish under the seats if you know what I mean.:whistling:

tomelroy

What is the top speed on the cat?

Cummins 3.3 & Hydrostatic sounds like a nice setup.

Does it have safety sensors on the doors that stop the drives if the doors open or the sensor malfunctions while in motion? Some times safety devices are dangerous!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last edited by Mainer; 02-11-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Editing to be nice...subscribers saw it. ;)

We get what you were going to say......We have seen this type of price increase before haven't we. With so few machines out there it's kinda hard to know a value. But when price doubles in a few weeks it makes a guy wonder....

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
anytime a cat has been under water it seems it never comes out of having electrial
problems. let alone hydro problems. we looked at buying this cat when it was in NY
had somone drive it. Then found out about the swimming issue and not only backed away we were running. The other thing we did not like is the lack of clearance with the 8 inch tires.

northeastheavy

Obviously the original owner was selling this at a low price to move it fast, due to the circumstances. The sad part is he was not telling the truth why!!!! Considering the cost new and this is a luxury snowcat, the new price would have been in line. Bottom line is Boggie did his research before trying to flip it!!! If a price is too good, there is always a reason.

djcj9k

I'd like to thank all those that commented on my snowcat for sale. I looked into all your concerns and found out that there was in fact a sudden stop that resulted in a new front window. I was told that it was caused by an electrical connection that stopped the engine and locked up the hydraulics. I would still like to talk to the guy who hit the window to verify the explanation. The electrical problem has been fixed. I do not believe the assertion that this snowcat has been under water. Two Hico snowcats were sold to the state of New York by a wind farm. One was sold to Black Creek which is the one I bought. The two previous owners swear that this cat has not been under water. I have examined this cat and find no evidence of any water damage. I ran this cat in the mountains for two hours and it operated with out a problem. I don't know where the other Hico went but it must be the one that went under. If someone has knowledge otherwise I would be happy to have the information. Perhaps the machine that went for a swim can be verified by the serial number. I have no intentions of misleading anyone. As far as the price goes I have only this to say: I buy snowcats to resale at a profit just like many of you on this forum. I wouldn't publish the price you pay for your machines, nor would I criticize your sale price. I understand trying to protect potential buyers from a cat that may have hidden damage. I don't fault those comments for that. At this point some of those comments appear to be unfounded. At any rate, this is a good snowcat that will give many years of service to a buyer. It's not perfect. I haven't found a perfect snowcat yet. (I read that some of you have) If you don't like my price please don't buy my cat. I will adjust my price if I'm too high and it does not sell.

Sometimes flippant comments and accusations drive people away from forums that are designed to bring us together.

David

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
... As far as the price goes I have only this to say: I buy snowcats to resale at a profit just like many of you on this forum. I wouldn't publish the price you pay for your machines, nor would I criticize your sale price. I understand trying to protect potential buyers from a cat that may have hidden damage. I don't fault those comments for that. At this point some of those comments appear to be unfounded. At any rate, this is a good snowcat that will give many years of service to a buyer. It's not perfect. I haven't found a perfect snowcat yet. (I read that some of you have) If you don't like my price please don't buy my cat. I will adjust my price if I'm too high and it does not sell.

Sometimes flippant comments and accusations drive people away from forums that are designed to bring us together.

David

To your point, these forums bring folks together to share ideas, knowledge, goods, services, etc... the composition of the members ranges from the eccentric and odd (uhum...), to the extremely knowledgeable commercial owners and many permutations of those in between.

People look out for one another and part of that is knowing the history of a machine and also providing guidance. Part of guidance is knowing if a cat has been submerged, engulfed in flames, etc... and part of guidance is providing feedback on pricing.

Pricing goes another level here.
Level 1: General guidance on fair market value + or - some reasonable amount based on various parameters.
Level 2: Historical guidance based on what people paid and/or what a cat probably sold for...private, auction, etc...
Level 3: Sheer hysteria ... when a price is so insanely GOOD no one comments, there is sudden quiet and everyone reaches for the phone to dial and buy before one of us other miserable gits gets it ... rumor has it that folks have even gone as far to do things like call 'dibs' and so on...

But let's not stray too far...

The commentary provided here on the cat in question goes to Levels 1 and 2. Level 1 guidance has been provided... and sounds like people are sniffing into things..so that may be verified shortly.
Level 2 is obvious: The cat sold for $25K and it's since been increased by an unexplainable $20K. Hence, guidance to forum members that they are potentially paying an additional $20K for no good reason. Basically, someone else snapped something up.... and we like to look out for our fellow forum members. Hence, this is the wrong place to peddle goods that have been through this type of acquisition process.

So, folks will generally take their goods elsewhere...often simply selling through local papers, eBay, Craigslist, etc... and then an unsuspecting non-forum member may pass by and then the sky-high price may be paid... he/she will be relieved of $20,000 hard-earned dollars that go no where other than paying someone else's overhead.

I would very much appreciate fellow forum members providing me with such guidance and I (and others) try to provide such guidance to other members. Particularly in these economic times when $20,000 is far harder to come by than the past...so an easy 'find' getting $20,000 on this forum? It is highly unlikely. So, yes, I am certain you will have to drop your price to sell to a forum member...supply/demand/etc... but probably not 'outside'... and you'll most likely post a response to this ins 2-4 months time when some poor unsuspecting victim buys it for the asking price.

To contrast this scenario... there are commercial forum members building solid businesses and selling many machines to forum members...Boggie and Snotrans just to name a couple... I really don't think you would EVER find a machine posted for sale on their sites or in this forum where it's clearly $20,000 of profit in the ol' pocket. I'd say they tack on maybe 10% to civilian/consumers, if that...except for some rare situations. At less than $1 profit per pallet... I gotta peddle alot o' pallets... far too many pallets to make it so someone can just pull $20,000 out of my pocket for a few days of 'auction buying/flipping' time!

Now, let's reflect on a recent similar experience we all had on the forum. A new member sold his Thiokol 602 on eBay. The final buyer had found our forum and obtained guidance on the 602... at the time we all wanted the seller to get as much as he could because he put his blood and sweat into his machine...years of restoration work... detail, craftsmanship...and bad back, bruises, weld burns, nasty fumes, carcinogenic solvents, etc... and plenty of excellence in bringing a vintage machine back to her glory. He deserved top dollar...and members (yours truly included) provided guidance that it was a steal at $19K...which it was... who knows if the buyer would have picked her up because he was not an enthusiast and really didn't know squat...of course we thought it was going to go to a forum member. Turns out the Canadian vulture picked it up and took in North where it now sits with a for sale sign on her for $33K... and he didn't lift a finger...oh no...sorry...he towed it North from Utah...sorry, forgot about that, my bad. Now, if he sells it for even $30K he will probably make more profit than the original builder/seller... simply wrong. No, I'm not crying a river about 'fair'... but where we can, we like to do the right thing on the forum...that was not right. In similar manner, doubling a price for no build/involvement? Rest my case. :unsure:

I do not believe anything I have written would/should offend anyone. Simply stating some basic facts in an objective manner and explaining why some commentary is coming forward when a machine that sold for $25K now appears for resale for $47K.

tomelroy

I was just watching the videos...that thing has a/c? I want it ...i only have snowcats to trade...out of money....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mainer,

Very well put sir, Thank you for looking out for the member ship here. Your a scollar and a gentelman! :biggrin:

Thanks,
Kirk

Love you guys! The reading gets better and better. Had to see what a HICO looked like and the below is what is now posted :whistling:

I have a 2000 Hico snowcat for sale or trade. This cat includes winter snow tracks and summer dirt tracks. It is a hydrostatic drive. It also includes metal front window bars for working in the woods or brush. The engine is a Cummins 4B 3.3 liter turbo diesel. It is equipped with a/c for summer use. There are five seats with safety belts. A joystick controls speed and direction. Less than 380 hours. This snowcat has been reported to have been partially under water. Check out the videos on the video page at coloradosnowcat.com $30,000

northeastheavy

That cat does look familiar. And someone willing to market it honestly
icon14.gif