• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1402 IMP 1964 serial number 27

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought I would start a thread for serial number 027 of the 1964 thiokol imp .

It all started with how do we get into our cabin in the back country ? Being able to tow on the highway and behind an SUV came first .
The Thiokol 1402 IMP is small enough to tow behind a light duty SUV on a trailer with electric trailer brakes . It also is big enough to haul all our cabin stuff in and out with out stress . After adding some seats for four more people which are removeable it met the requirements for bringing in our guests.

Because the pervios owner had already givin it a paint job we can cross that off our list ~//~. Being that its in good running shape adjusting the brake bands and a tune up got us by for the first season .

Season two we are removing the master cylinders because one leaks . Do them both to get it over with . Easy to find at Car Quest at a huge savings .
Looking forward to playing and trailering into other areas with my neighbor ( who just bought a Tucker 343A 1965 will make the season even more fun ~ ~ ~ ! !

Starting with a Track party Feb 24th - 26th 2012 on forest service road 6710 in Washington State .

A snow cats best friend ! A tool box , winch ,comalong , shovel , radio/ cell phone , botttle of Crown Royal and snacks what more in life could one ask for ?
The party begins !:biggrin:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
and there she is !:clap:

Attachments

• stevens pass 2-25-2011 023.jpg
    stevens pass 2-25-2011 023.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 894

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
No more Mud puddle at my feet . The master cylinders were fairly easy to replace . I did some grinding on them to get the handles to fit gave them a touch of paint walla !

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
hey, whats the deepest snow you've been able to get the IMP through before? (powder/slightly melted) ? :)

Our Oregon winters are pretty snowy and snow quality varies a lot.

If you look at the posted photo the cat has sunk down 18" and is floating ontop of three and a half feet of snow in that photo . The biggest dump of untouched powder I took it through was seven feet of un touched snow . I floated right over it . I never worried about getting that cat stuck but then I also had a winch front and rear !:biggrin:

Do you own one of these cats ? If so what are you using it for ? post a photo .

Check out the Track Party posting we are getting the 2013 Track Party put together and would love for you to come . Its going to be like a Jamboree for the snow cat industry

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you look at the posted photo the cat has sunk down 18" and is floating ontop of three and a half feet of snow in that photo . The biggest dump of untouched powder I took it through was seven feet of un touched snow . I floated right over it . I never worried about getting that cat stuck but then I also had a winch front and rear !:biggrin:

Do you own one of these cats ? If so what are you using it for ? post a photo .

Check out the Track Party posting we are getting the 2013 Track Party put together and would love for you to come . Its going to be like a Jamboree for the snow cat industry

Would love to join if we are "up and running" at that time.

I've just acquired an open top 1402, and will be putting it through some minor TLC before winter, but for next years (2013s fall) I would like to do a complete restor on it with possibly a different engine & full size cab.

I guess time will show...

I've been able to float over 5 feet of snow on my Wrangler, but 4 wheels arent as capable as 2 wide track (speaking from personal experience)

http://youtu.be/fcqFQ9Ko8qQ

you can watch the video of my snowplay in Cascades, fun starts at about 20 minutes into the clip :)

I'll get a build thread going here pretty soon once I have some info to post.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Would love to join if we are "up and running" at that time.

I've just acquired an open top 1402, and will be putting it through some minor TLC before winter, but for next years (2013s fall) I would like to do a complete restor on it with possibly a different engine & full size cab.

I guess time will show...

I've been able to float over 5 feet of snow on my Wrangler, but 4 wheels arent as capable as 2 wide track (speaking from personal experience)

http://youtu.be/fcqFQ9Ko8qQ

you can watch the video of my snowplay in Cascades, fun starts at about 20 minutes into the clip :)

I'll get a build thread going here pretty soon once I have some info to post.

That looks like mega snow fun !:biggrin: With your new cat I'm sure the fun will escalate . Look forward to the before and after photos !

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like mega snow fun !:biggrin: With your new cat I'm sure the fun will escalate . Look forward to the before and after photos !

Yeah, in our Cascades we get enough snow to play with... Whole family loves it, so its been great...

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, in our Cascades we get enough snow to play with... Whole family loves it, so its been great...

Are you going to the "2014 Snowcat Jamboree" this year in Leavenworth Wa:unsure: I went last year it was a kick in the ass. Several of us had wives family ect made for a great weekend.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you going to the "2014 Snowcat Jamboree" this year in Leavenworth Wa:unsure: I went last year it was a kick in the ass. Several of us had wives family ect made for a great weekend.

Now days my trips are solo (without family) for the most part, due to school for the little ones, and wife is busy with our 1yr old...

we get out close by into Detroit area, they play in the snow enough without having the need to go far... :)

I although think I'll head out that way if all goes well after NYears.