• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sea Shepherd Activist in custody in Japan for disrupting whaling

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This guy screwed up big time and the Japanese are going to make an example of him. From what I can tell the Japanese whaling is wildly unpopular but technically legal. This guy, consequently, broke the law. the Japanese are pissed. Sea Shepherd appears to be a pretty radical organization (and least from a pretty mainstream viewpoint) and appears willing to commit acts of violence or near-violence. None of this plays well in Japan but probably will garner pleas of compassion from Australia. I suspect those pleas will be ignored.
Japanese Coast Guard Arrests Anti-Whaling Skipper
By MARTIN FACKLER and MARK McDONALD
Published: March 12, 2010
The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/world/asia/13whale.html

TOKYO — The Japanese Coast Guard on Friday arrested an anti-whaling activist from New Zealand who had boarded a whaling ship in the southern Antarctic last month.

Peter Bethune, a member of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, was brought back to Tokyo by the whaling ship, the Shonan Maru 2, after he boarded it without permission on Feb. 15. Coast Guard officials were waiting for him at the docks in Tokyo, along with a throng of Japanese reporters and television crews.

Mr. Bethune, 44, was being held in Coast Guard custody in Tokyo, said a guard spokesman, Tomoyuki Suzuki, who added that Mr. Bethune had been formally charged with “vessel invasion.” A Coast Guard investigation was under way, he said, and it was expected that Mr. Bethune would be transferred to police custody on Sunday.

Japanese media reports suggested that Tokyo intends to use Mr. Bethune’s arrest as a warning to Sea Shepherd to end its confrontations on the high seas with Japan’s whaling fleet.

Hirotaka Akamatsu, the Japanese fisheries minister, told reporters that Mr. Bethune’s actions were “outrageously illegal behavior.”

“We want to deal with it strictly,” he said.

Mr. Bethune’s arrest was top news in Japan, where Sea Shepherd’s efforts to obstruct whaling ships receive wide publicity, none of it positive. While few Japanese eat whale, public opinion is generally sympathetic to the government’s claims that whaling is part of Japanese culture.

Japan kills about 1,000 whales a year — primarily minke whales — as part of a government-financed program that Tokyo says is for scientific purposes. Activists call the program a cover for commercial whaling, which was globally banned in 1986.

Japan’s program has run into opposition from not only activists but also from the governments of Australia and New Zealand, two staunchly anti-whaling nations that are near the waters where the annual Japanese hunt takes place. Last month, Australia’s prime minister threatened international legal action against Japan if it did not end its whaling.

Sea Shepherd has tried to disrupt Japan’s Antarctic hunts by blocking its ships, using ropes to clog their propellers and throwing bottles of rancid butter onto their decks to make them slippery.

On Jan. 6, a Sea Shepherd vessel, the Ady Gil, captained by Mr. Bethune, was damaged in a collision at sea with the Shonan Maru 2. Video taken from the deck of the whaler showed its collision with the Ady Gil, a sleek black trimaran. Each ship blamed the other for the incident.

On the night of Feb. 15, Mr. Bethune reportedly used a motorized water scooter to approach the Shonan Maru 2, then climbed onto its deck after cutting through an anti-boarding net that was draped around the hull. He presented the captain of the whaler with a bill for $3 million for damages that the Ady Gil had suffered.

Mr. Bethune was put into custody by the crew, who held him for a month as the whaling ship returned to Japan.

Coast Guard officials said Mr. Bethune would be able to meet with a lawyer and a New Zealand diplomat after his arrest. The head of Sea Shepherd, Paul Watson, told Japan’s Kyodo News agency that Mr. Bethune boarded the ship to draw more attention to the Japanese hunt.

“We are rallying a lot of support in New Zealand and Australia for Pete,” Mr. Watson was reported as saying. “He may be considered a criminal in Japan, but he’s a hero in Australia and New Zealand.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like this guy is not going to be getting any help from New Zealand. I'd guess he is in a heap of trouble :hammer:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10632154

Key: Govt cannot intervene in activist's case
By Beck VassView as one page
9:11 AM Monday Mar 15, 2010

Peter Bethune was arrested on Friday. File photo / Oamaru Mail
Prime Minister John Key says the Government can not intervene in Japan's legal processes to help anti-whaling campaigner Peter Bethune.

The Australian and New Zealand Green parties have called for their governments to intervene over the case.

Mr Bethune, 44, is facing up to three years in a Japanese jail for trespassing, after being arrested in Tokyo on Friday as the whaling ship he had boarded in Antarctic waters docked.

The arrest follows months of high-seas clashes with the Japanese whaling fleet involving Mr Bethune, who is a member of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

He has been in custody since mid-February, when he boarded the Japanese vessel Shonan Maru II intending to make a citizen's arrest on its captain for what he said was the attempted murder of his six crew.

Mr Key said his Foreign Minister Murray McCully had kept in contact with the Japanese ambassador and diplomats were playing their part in Japan.

"The situation is...he's going to be charged across a range of different sort of breaches of the law, potentially," Mr Key told TVNZ's Breakfast programme.

"Peter Bethune is obviously a person who cares deeply about what he's doing, he's also a person who made it quite clear when he got on board that boat that he didn't want to be taken off, he did want to be taken to Japan. So clearly he has thought all this through and has thought the exposure that he will get for this warrants his activities."

Other than consular support there was little the Government could do, Mr Key said.

"We can't actually interfere in the Japanese legal process."

Story continues at link...​

loboloco

Actually, whaling is legal only under Japanese law. International law outlaws the practice. But, nothing will be done until a sovereign nation sends in a few destroyers and sinks the whalers.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm under the impression that RESEARCH whaling is legal, but COMMERCIAL whaling is outlawed under international law. I could be wrong.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They CLAIM, even if thinly veiled, to be doing RESEARCH.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And from ABC news, more bad news as it appears he could get 3 years in a Japanese jail.

Sea Shepherd man handed over to Japanese prosecutors
Posted Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26pm AEDT
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/15/2846351.htm?section=justin

New Zealand anti-whaling activist Peter Bethune has been handed over to Tokyo prosecutors by the Japanese coastguard.

The 44-year-old could face up to three years in prison if he is indicted and found guilty of trespass for secretly boarding a Japanese whaling ship in the Antarctic in February.

He was detained by the whalers and arrested last week when the ship arrived back in Japan.

Bethune is the captain of the powerboat the Ady Gil, which was destroyed in a confrontation with the Shonan Maru 2 in January.

He later boarded the Japanese whaling ship to make a citizen's arrest of its captain for what he said was the attempted murder of his six crew.​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now the enviro-activist group Sea Shepherd has been officially given the status of PIRATES by the use court system.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...rds-are-pirates-says-9th-circuit-court-rules/
Friday Harbor’s Sea Shepherds are “pirates,” 9th Circuit Court says
Posted by Cathy McLain

The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court has declared a sea-faring group of anti-whaling protesters modern-day pirates and ordered them to halt their aggressive and high-profile attacks of Japanese whalers.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled late Monday that the whalers were likely to succeed with their federal lawsuit seeking to permanently ban Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherd organization he founded from disrupting the annual whale hunt in the waters off Antarctica.

The Sea Shepherd’s efforts are the subject of the television show, “Whale Wars.”

The court in December ordered the organization to keep its ships at least 500 yards from Japanese whalers. The whalers have since accused the protesters of violating that order at least twice this month. . .

story continues at link above!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Why don't the Japanese just shoot that MFer and let the pieces fall where they may . That Paul guy is a loonie . A real nut case . I would love to kick his sorry ass .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why don't the Japanese just shoot that MFer and let the pieces fall where they may . That Paul guy is a loonie . A real nut case . I would love to kick his sorry ass .

Well now that the organization has been ruled to be a group of international PIRATES it seems like it would be a simple matter of 'self defense' to fire upon them if they came in contact with the fishing fleet.

Short bus

I hve never been a supporter but you got to hand this to him LOONY Toons (no offence to Elmer Fudd) or not the guy has some set of nuts.
I admire people that put it all on the line for what they belive in. Not that I agree. I would liketo save the Ocean but I am doomed myself under the current white house.
Any one know what Japans prisons are like?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doing what you believe in should not include - up to and including anything to get your point across. Which would include endangering others and their property.

Short bus

I guess you are right Fred it seems like once some one take the law into thier own hands things get carried away and ends poorly.

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
And from ABC news, more bad news as it appears he could get 3 years in a Japanese jail.
The 44-year-old could face up to three years in prison if he is indicted and found guilty of trespass for secretly boarding a Japanese whaling ship in the Antarctic in February.​

He did three months, IIRC. Sea Shepard abandoned him. He was pretty bitter when I saw him interviewed but really, if you followed this when it was fresh, he's quite an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator: