• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How Will The High Fuel Costs Affect You?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Now with gasoline prices at about $3.45 per gallon and diesel fuel at $3.75 per gallon are you going to change any of your driving habits? Are these higher prices going to make you drive less or possibly look at a more fuel efficient vehicle to purchase next time you buy a newer vehicle?

How high do you think gasoline and diesel prices will go before leveling off? Will the costs ever go back to below $3.00 per gallon? :idea:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I will be producing Biodiesel. I will be able to produce biodiesel for about 60 cents a gallon. As far as if it will change my driving habbits, NO. I will just charge my clients more. In return they will charge you more. Start stocking up on wood or whatever it is you use to heat your house.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Fortunately for me, my fuel is paid for by my customer (and eventually US taxpayers). My driving habits can't change as I still must drive and stop every 40ish miles of the lower 48. I still need to drive a big-honkin 4x4 to get my gear to where it needs to be.

Fuel prices go down? Maybe after Bush and the gang are out. When the Dems are in, they might threaten a congressional investigation into fuel prices and that usually scares the price down for a few months! :yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I paid $3.58 the first of this week for diesel. Today it is now $3.75 per gallon. It is starting to make me pay more attention to my driving habits and travel plans as the fuel costs continue to rise. We will try to accomplish more on each trip to town and possibly go to town less often. We will do more shopping in our local smaller town and probably go to the distant larger town only once per month. We have been trying to group multiple appointments on the same day each week to eliminate trips.

The costs of all consumer goods utilizing any petroleum based products will start increasing. It is definitely going to be a trickle down/up affect for most consumer items and consumer costs will go up as fuel costs continue to rise.

mak2

My wife just got a job where I work, I have driven an F150 for years, now I ride with her. Save about 60 bucks aweek even with current gas prices. Lucky break.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
With the dollar falling against other currency it was just a matter of time before the cost of fuel was raised . Those International oil producers got to keep the Profit margins up .Saudi's and the rest of Oil Cartel need their money !!! Last time I checked the Dollar was the lowest it has been in 12 years against the Yen . The Canadian dollar is equal to the U S dollar and the Euro just keeps going up . Man ! I wish I had invested in the money exchange market about 10 years ago .
As far as changing driving habits , YOu bet I am !

The problem is the oil cartel can just raise oil barrel prices as they need to keep the cash flow coming in at a profit margin they have determined as "FAIR TO THEM", no matter how much we save on driving . We drive less and they will just raise the price more . Its all about greed now .

Sure wish the "Goverment powers to be" would get off there dead ass and get serious about other power options Such as Solar,Wind,Power Dams ect . It would be nice to see America tell those Oil Cartel ass holes to shove that oil up there Arse !

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll turn down the thermostat and wear a sweater.
I'll fill up at the pump and bitch about it later.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have generally always tried to keep driving expenses down. Sold my last gas guzzler (Toyota T100, 16 to 18 mpg) a couple of years ago and bought a small 4-banger SUV (33 mpg on the road). Use the wife's truck, which gets about 24 mpg, for heavier loads. It is going to be hard to cut back much more.

I don't know how high prices will go, but don't expect the average price to go below $3.00 again.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I'm seriously thinking about a Prius for my next car. So far as I know it (and the equivalent Honda) are the only things that can get 45 mpg and still feel like a real car, not a golf cart.

I think I read somewhere that Honda is getting out of the hybrid market, and that there will be an updated Prius for 2009.

I've also read that people who bought the Ford Escape Hybrid are crying about its low mileage, as low as 22mpg if you zip around in it without changing driving habits. My Ford Focus Wagon has higher EPA Highway mileage than that Escape. The Escape, and the similar Toyota Highlander Hybrid, are simply hauling too much weight around.

dsgsr

My question is, Why is Diesel fuel more expensive than regular Gas? It cost less to produce Diesel than Gasoline. It looks like the American Fuel companies are sticking it to us because Diesel is in more of a demand than Gasoline. Now, before you Diem me a Left wing Lib. Is it fair for a Business to take this type of advantage of a product that has become A Necessity for you and I to make a living? What about the folks that can't pass on the cost to thier customers the regular joe/joann that makes X $$ an hr. but still needs to feed thier families but find out that it would be cheaper to go on Fed/state/local aid than pay for gas too get back and forth to work. Would YOU do whatever it takes to feed you're family?

David

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
My question is, Why is Diesel fuel more expensive than regular Gas? It cost less to produce Diesel than Gasoline.

I used to believe that too, but a petroleum engineer whom I respect greatly has told me it is not true, and diesel production cost is on par with gasoline.

dsgsr

Then, Why is it for so many yrs. before this recent price rise that diesel was for, many many yrs less than Gasoline?

David

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
When the dems or a 3rd party win in November you will see gas go way down.................

as for driving less, not going to happen, but we dont drive much anyway.

JimR

Charter Member
Greed = excess profits which = fat ass bastards and Arabs getting richer. I can't say what I would like to see happen to them oil barons. So I just installed a woodstove insert in my fireplace. My furnace now is running very little. I'll use the money I save to fill my gas tanks. The extra will go to buy other things that I need to survive. Someday the people resposible for these high prices and greed will pay. The poor are the ones that are gettig screwed. China is also one of the reasons that our fuel prices are so high. They are now competing with us for shipments.