• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can't hear over the noise the dishwasher makes...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
So it's apparently time for a new one. I thought I had it all covered. I looked up the highest rated dishwasher in Consumer Reports, which has served me quite well when choosing appliances, and was ready to replace our 9 year old KitchenAid with a new top ranked KitchenAid. But....the wife said NO WAY when she discovered it only came in stainless steel finish. True enough, according to those in the business, the "stainless look" is out and she sure doesn't want one anyway (we bypassed the entire stainless era).

So, anyone have any suggestions on a dishwasher that 1) cleans extremely well with NO pre-washing of dishes and 2) is quiet like our old model was? I guess I need one that has an option to come in black too. That's the color she wants, so that's the color she gets.

I'd consider getting our old one fixed but, with 5 kids, it has run thousands and thousands of cycles and if I replace the main motor, most everything else in it is probably worn out as well. So the most short term cost effective fix probably would end up just being a waste of money considering how much this one has been used. According to the repairman we spoke with, after giving him the facts about it's use, he said it is probably in the condition most 25 year old dishwashers are in; and he's in the business of fixing them. Ideas? Suggestions?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We ended up with a two-drawer unit. Stainless. Ya, I know, you don't want stainless. But this thing is quiet and you can do half loads. I mean - you can not hear it quiet.

It's a KitchenAid. You can buy color panels for the SS units.

I think Fisher makes their machines specifically for different color panels and other door options.

Maybe Bosch offers something too.

But take good look at the double drawer ones. Each drawer is completely self contained.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same problem with my unit as well. But I just let her rant and pretend my hearing is failing.:whistling:

As for getting a replacement unit....., I'm too old and tiret to shop for a new one.:yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've had my dishwasher for 38 years now and her motor is still in fine shape. Cannot and will not trade her in for a newer model. :biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't be much help as our 16-year old unit is still chugging away.

I did get a scare today when the big, honking Sub Zero refrigerator clapped out, just the refrigerator side, the freezer side was working fine. This thing was in the house when we bought it and, as far as we can guess, is over 25-years old. Fortunately it was just a relay and it was up and running again for $106 including labor. I love living in small towns and dealing with family owned businesses that have been there for 50 odd years. It's getting a bit rough looking on the inside but the thought of replacing that sucker scares me so hopefully it keeps going until it's my dependents problem. :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
we've got a whirlpool quiet time dishwasher. It came with the house and is only 2 yrs old. So far so good. No complaints with it. It is very quiet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought of something.

You can get a decibel meter for your cell phone (free app).

Load that then go to an appliance store (not a box store) as they'll have some setup to run. Fire up your meter and have them start them one at a time. You may have to go when the store is kind of empty of other patrons so you don't pick up their noise.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
No worries I AM the dishwasher. Some how I find it restful to soak my hands in warm water while I wash; yeah I know I'm weird :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard Bosch and KitchenAid are the 2 quietest.

Ditto. I replace a GE several years ago with a KitchenAid and its MUCH quieter, but its probably 5 years old now so the model is long since changed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have a Kitchen Aid. Very quiet. The wife uses it to cleanse the dishes after she first washes them.
This thing will scrub burnt cheese off of cast iron. But in the old days we always had to pre wash. So she still does.
Old habits die hard.

Me, I don't even use the thing. I cook so I clean as I go. I wash by hand because, like Catavenger, I too like the feel of warm soapy water. And I don't like my cookware, and chef knives, to be run thru the dishwasher.

There is just the two of us so the only time dishes accumulate is weekends. That's hers to deal with.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto. I replace a GE several years ago with a KitchenAid and its MUCH quieter, but its probably 5 years old now so the model is long since changed.

We bought a GE when we remodeled the kitchen several years ago. It's not exactly loud but it's not quiet either. First time it hiccups a Kitchenaid will take its place.

Jim

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

That is where I am. We had a GE when our house was built that was 'okay', but I replaced it with the (at that time) top rated dishwasher, which was a KitchenAid. Unfortunately our old KitchenAid is dying and I can't see putting a few hundred bucks into an older dishwasher. I guess I need to see what the highest rated KitchenAid available in black is.

xsinawl

To quiet your old one down try pouring a cup of salad oil in it without soap and cycling it through. New soaps are pretty aggressive and cause a build up over time. It is recommended every month....

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sidebar alert.

You don't actually put your cast iron in the dishwasher, do you?

I don't. But the wife has been known to do it.
These days cast iron is only used on the BBQ, or when camping, as we have a glass cooktop oven. And I carefully wash it myself.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
To quiet your old one down try pouring a cup of salad oil in it without soap and cycling it through. New soaps are pretty aggressive and cause a build up over time. It is recommended every month....

Thanks, but the noise is from the actual electric motor that runs the unit. As I mentioned previously, I would have just replaced that motor but the dishwasher has had so many thousands of cycles run that doing so probably would be a waste of money because the rest of the machine has seen so much use.

jwstewar

We installed a Bosch when we built the house 5 years ago. It cleans OK, it will get most things clean. It is very quiet. The only thing you really hear is the water going out of the drain. My biggest beef with it, it is Energy Star rated. What that means is there is no heated dry. The dishes all stay wet. You then have to open the door to let things dry. I didn't know dishwashers came without heated dry. We took it for granted and didn't realize it was on it. We were so concerned about cleaning ability, shelving, room, and quientness we missed something like that and didn't realize it until it was past the return period and already installed.:hammer: It is also very picky with leaking. If the top drop isn't pushed completly in, it will spray water out the front door. We've made that mistake 2 or 3 times.

With that said, we will probably never buy another Bosch appliance. Not thrilled with the DW, we've had tons of issues with the double wall oven. Took several trips to finally get it working and I still say it isn't right. If you are using both ovens, one of them never gets up to temp quite right. We had to do an exchange of cook tops because originally Bosch told us all of their units came with the orifices to convert them to propane. So we buy one, not only did it not come with the change kit, it wasn't convertable. Had to buy a different cooktop at considerable more money that we didn't like as well and then had to buy the conversion kit.:hammer:

Probably won't buy any more Samsung either.....