• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone got ideas how to fix this ?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I purchased a old building in town and added another dormer on the roof to balance out the building appearance . The problem is I get a very large buildup of snow between the dormers . Its the only place it stacks up . I am thinking I may have to lay Heat tape to solve the problems . Yestreday I shoveled 3 ' of snow/ice out of between each dormer . Today I can hardly walk from my sore back ! Heres are some pictures so you can see where the problem is .

Attachments

• P1010130.jpg
    P1010130.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010127.JPG
    P1010127.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010129.JPG
    P1010129.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 44

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No pictures Al. Did your sore back stop you from uploading them? :biggrin: Whoops! I guess that I was just too quick on the keyboard.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You were up on that steep roof with snow and ice on it. :eek: You are lucky only your back is sore.

I wonder if that heating stuff they sell for heating bathroom floors could be mounted on the inside of the roof and put off enough heat to keep the snow from sticking. Or PAM cooking spray works for snow shovels ...might work for the roof but you'd have to get someone out there to spray it prior to the snow. Not so practical I guess.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You were up on that steep roof with snow and ice on it. :eek: You are lucky only your back is sore.

I wonder if that heating stuff they sell for heating bathroom floors could be mounted on the inside of the roof and put off enough heat to keep the snow from sticking. Or PAM cooking spray works for snow shovels ...might work for the roof but you'd have to get someone out there to spray it prior to the snow. Not so practical I guess.

I redesigned the lower roof to add more pitch to the roof . It works fine everywhere except between those dormers . Seems to get stuck trying to slide through .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if I'd go with the heat tape. It'll melt the snow between the dormers but as soon as it got to your new roof section, being unheated it'll freeze up and give you ice and weight problems on that roof. Are you going to put in any gutters? If the melt did make it off the roof, without gutters, it'll dump it on the ground near the doors causing puddles or water in the areas close to the doors.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Add some ice cleats about 3ft. down from the main peak. This will help break it up and let smaller pieces slide down. The big slide now runs into a narrow valley and jams just like ice on a stream.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know if I'd go with the heat tape. It'll melt the snow between the dormers but as soon as it got to your new roof section, being unheated it'll freeze up and give you ice and weight problems on that roof. Are you going to put in any gutters? If the melt did make it off the roof, without gutters, it'll dump it on the ground near the doors causing puddles or water in the areas close to the doors.

No Gutters . The snow and ice would tear them off .

Add some ice cleats about 3ft. down from the main peak. This will help break it up and let smaller pieces slide down. The big slide now runs into a narrow valley and jams just like ice on a stream.
That is an idea I had not thought of . I may need to explore that idea . Do they make a cleat or do I have to make one myself ?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The places you get roofing from should have them. They screw down the same as the roof panels.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll second the cleats recommendation. They are standard on the roofs at all the ski resorts I have been to.