• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Bombi -81 restoration, need some help!

Manlig

Hi my name is Rikard and i live in sweden i have just bought a Bombi with hydraulic grooming tools.It has about 300hrs on it and it have had the same owner since 1981 the man was 80 years old.I bought it from him yesterday.

It was not started for many many years so i did a oil change and sparkplugg service before i started her up,and she ran very well.

Now to my problem,it does not move. When i put a gear in and realese the clutch the drive shaft starts rotating but it wont move,and it makes a small scratching sound. Im new to these vehicles and i realy need your help on this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2,408

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome.

I'm not versed on Bombi's but I'm sure someone here can give you some advice.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What are your plans for this? Trail Grooming??? Looks like you are set up to do that if you need to do so.

Manlig

Yes i will do some grooming for snowmobile trails but i got this for most that i realy think these small tracked vehicals are so cool and i have allways wanted one.
To bad i dident get a great start with this as i doesent move,but there are some month before we get snow so i got some time to fix it.If it can be fixed? As i understand it is realy hard to get parts for bombi these days.so it doesent feel that good i have to say.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are lots of Bombi's floating around, I'm sure you can get parts. At least there are parts here in North America. I don't know about parts availability in Europe.

Manlig

In sweden there are now way to get new parts for the bombi,I might find a scrap bombi to take some use parts from but then i think i should be realy lucky! There are only 30 rigistred Bombies that have lived untill today here in swe.but i dont know how many that was sold here in the 70/80s.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as for your problems I would pull both axles first. if you have a broken axle it will spin power to the side that is broke. if your axles are good the problem is in your differential or ring and pinion gear those bombardier products were known for ring and pinion damage from water in the differential holding the ring gear tight while the pinion trys to spin it.

Manlig

Thanks now i feel more hopefull! Now i just need to find what wrong with it. Im going to try to get the hood of tomorow so a can get to the diferential it might be the pinion that are the problem?. If anyone know how i get the hood of the easiest way i would be realy greatfull.

Manlig

as for your problems I would pull both axles first. if you have a broken axle it will spin power to the side that is broke. if your axles are good the problem is in your differential or ring and pinion gear those bombardier products were known for ring and pinion damage from water in the differential holding the ring gear tight while the pinion trys to spin it.

I wrote that another reply before i did se yours.Thanks for your reply i will do what you say. If it is so that pinion spins but the ring gear sits tight does that mean that the pinion is damaged to that point that i need a new one?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if you remove the cover you will be able to see the whole works. the front fiberglass part of the cab needs to be removed as does the fuel tank than there should be a plate you can remove to look inside. if your ring and pinion are turning and you see no damage than you need to look at an axle if you break an axle the differential action will work like an open differential.

Manlig

Will try that,Do you know if the pinion and ring is the same as in the Dana44 diferential with gear ratio 5.89 ratio? If so i think it will be possible to get find the parts here in swe.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Will try that,Do you know if the pinion and ring is the same as in the Dana44 diferential with gear ratio 5.89 ratio? If so i think it will be possible to get find the parts here in swe.

It is the same as the Dana 44 just make sure it's the proper rotation

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm no bombi expert, I've herd it's a clone of an oliver chalmers differential. I don't know if they have interchangeable parts, I think it's a safe bet part's aren't interchangeable with any dana or other automotive type axles.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm no bombi expert, I've herd it's a clone of an oliver chalmers differential. I don't know if they have interchangeable parts, I think it's a safe bet part's aren't interchangeable with any dana or other automotive type axles.

The Bombi is the exception, all of the others, muskegs, SW,J5, basically all the T-16 diffs do not have a common ring and pinion. And right now prinoth wants over 2400.00 for a set

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my experience with those type differentials have all been military. high center one you can pull on a lateral till you are blue in the face it ain't going to budge. like wise I tried to move a m113 on a track with one track off I couldn't get it to move had to push it forward with a duce.

Manlig

I have now found the problem,the left driveshaft is in 2 pices and the brakebands are in very poor shape.
So i need to buy new brakes and a driveshaft, i would be realy greatfull if anyone could help me were i can get those part.

undy

I'd assume you can get parts directly from Prinoth in Europe. I'd check their website.

Also, as was previously mentioned, Boggie on this forum is with Minnesota Outdoors, and can likely help with a lot of parts too.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
being as it's been used for grooming I thought that may be what it was. my question is where is your national pride you bought a Canadian rig when you could have had a nice Swedish built snow trac.