• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Too cold to ski?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wildcat mountain in NH has cancelled skiing today with wind chills of -40 or more predicted. They hope to reopen tomorrow.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've skied at Wildcat since I was 5 years old. Probably been there 10 days during my childhood that it was 20 below. It wasn't always fun but it sure wasn't busy and it was better than being home.

It costs much more per day to operate now and the weather stations are giving such dire warnings that it seems the right choice financially.

They were closed yesterday, too.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't imagine anyone wanting to ski with temperatures like that. I suppose it's the same mentality as the surfers who want to ride the "big one".

I've been out in temperatures like that in Wyoming and it's not a lot of fun. I had on so many clothes that I looked like the Michelin man. I could hardly walk and climbing stairs was out of the question. These days I have second thoughts about going outside if it dips in to the 40's. :biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We got to 11 about 1:30 but then the sun disappeared in a snow squall and it is down to 7 now. One more real bad day and then a gradual warm up to30's by Monday.:clap:2-4 " more snow Friday evening.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I didn't think it was all that extreme when I was a kid and loved to ski. Even back then it wasn't that hard to keep one's body warm but frostbite on the face was a real possibility.
Sure beat staying home or indoors.

If you ski fast, windchill should always be considered... where do you draw the line ? 10 degrees ?, 0 ?
Many loggers love to work when it's below zero cause the limbs just snap off. People in Alaska deal with -40 on a regular basis. You dress for it and be smart... no big deal.

But I do understand the mountains decision to close when business would be very slow and now that people are scared of every little thing....