• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

window removal

socal4t12

does anyone out there have some good experience in window and window rubber removal? im want to pull my windows out and need some good advice. the rubber is the 2 piece type (main mold, with a rubber strip to lock it in place)

links are great.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
yep ! I done it wany times . Find the end of the rope looking piece and gently pull it out . Then have a friend gently push from the top inside as you use a hook tool to slip the glass lip over the glass over the rubber lip . GO SLOW!!!! USE LOTS OF WD40 to lube the rubber .

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
does anyone out there have some good experience in window and window rubber removal? im want to pull my windows out and need some good advice. the rubber is the 2 piece type (main mold, with a rubber strip to lock it in place)

links are great.

Two piece trim is old style you should change to the one piece style.
When I know that I am going to change two piece pull the insert out and then get ahold of the lip that goes over the window and cut it for about the first couple of inches and then grab it with a pliers and and tear it off. only if you are going to the new style.:thumb:

socal4t12

so are you saying to remove the window from the rubber,,,,or pull the rubber away from the cat body?

the 1 piece rubber......is that a common item? any auto glass place will be able to put the windows back in?

anyone have info on the sliding window frame for the 4t/601 doors? ive got the windows,,,but no frames or rubber.

yep ! I done it wany times . Find the end of the rope looking piece and gently pull it out . Then have a friend gently push from the top inside as you use a hook tool to slip the glass lip over the glass over the rubber lip . GO SLOW!!!! USE LOTS OF WD40 to lube the rubber .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

weatherby

so are you saying to remove the window from the rubber,,,,or pull the rubber away from the cat body?

the 1 piece rubber......is that a common item? any auto glass place will be able to put the windows back in?

anyone have info on the sliding window frame for the 4t/601 doors? ive got the windows,,,but no frames or rubber.

YES I found the same source THIOKOL used to buy there window molding from back in the day and they are still up in running, and they even have the original style of window channel needed for your front doors (sliding windows) BUT when you buy from them the least they will sell you is 50' of any thing so when I bought mine I had to buy 50' but you only need about 12' to do the front doors . Now all the other windows use the easy to get two piece molding and most auto glass or truck repair shops have that. What I did to remove all the rubber window molding (because your not going to reuse it) is to first remove the locking strip on the in side, then because the molding is so old & stiff I took a box cutter type of razer blade cutting knife and on the inside of the window stuck the blade beside the glass and rubber molding and pushed the blade through the molding just the inside strip of molding & ran the blade at least half way around the window which cut the molding that is holding the glass in then you can carefully push or pull the glass out from the other half of the molding. The methods Big Al and the other guys describe are very good ideas but having already dealt with mine I found there was no other way aside from cutting the inside molding edge off first because it is SO stiff & brittle. I hope I didn't just add to your confusion.

weatherby

here is the door window channel

Attachments

• window channel.jpg
    window channel.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 372

weatherby

what do i need for the other windows? would it be the product on the lower left of that picture, part# 184-4121? ill need to do all the windows in the cat.

The molding on the lower left (4121) is what you need for your slider windows ALONG WITH glass run channel 103-2174 spacer rubber 104-4122 and rigid channel 103-2066. What you need for your other windows is a glass thickness of .25 & panel thickness of about .625 two piece window weather strip.

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 350
One more thing you might want to get is the correct tool to install either type of window molding. They are cheap and I got mine at one of the local window replacement shops. The tool makes the job super easy without damaging the rupper or your paint job! They always have had any type of molding I was looking for including two piece, one piece or channels for sliding windows.

Robert45

Site Supporter
10-4 on getting the proper tools, I do the glass replacement on our construction equipment where I work. I have used silcone spray, WD-40 and window cleaner as a lube, when removal and installing. The biggest thing I've found is that the glass is the proper size and take it slow and easy. :thumb:
I would go with the one piece rubber gasket if you are not worried about being orginal style. It's alot easier to work with..

Robert

Last edited:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If you change to the newer one piece rubber, make sure the glass size is right.
:bonk::bonk::bonk:
I just had the glass place copy the old windows and they are too small for the new rubber.
:bonk: :bonk:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It turns out that the company I bought it from offers 2 different widths and I failed to find the wider type..... Could be because they don't show that dimension in thier drawing but list it farther down the page :rolleyes: :bonk:

I'll be posting a ' for sale ' ad for 2 types of window gasket, now :yum: