• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A good day!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Days like yesterday are why I love my job.:clap:

As I've said before, I work with foster children after they have been placed into foster homes. I work with children until they turn 18 and move out on their own.

Now, just imagine being 18 years old with no family and nobody to turn to. You've been in a foster home for 12 yrs and now you're out on your own.

Without getting too specific, last week, I went to visit with a young man who recently turned 18 and is out on his own. He had just moved into a new apartment.

I walked into his apartment and the only peice of furniture he had was a kitchen chair. He only had a small tv, a couple cups for dishes, one towel, and had been sleeping on the floor for 3 days. I went back to the office with a heavy heart after seeing the conditions he was living in. I made a few phone calls, sent out a couple emails and within the hour, had secured him a bed at least to sleep on. I worked on it for a couple more days and looked around for donations for him. Within four days, we had him set up with a new kitchen set, living room set, a donated bedroom set, and pretty much everything he needed. It was the best feeling in the world helping him out. He only knew about the bedroom set but didn't know about the rest. I met him at his apartment after he was done school for the day and helped him bring up the dressers. Just then, the other two truckloads of things pulled up and he was almost in tears. He's a good kid. In about 4 hours last night, myself and two coworkers did a mini Extreme Makeover to this kids apartment. He's now setup with everything he needs to get a good start in life.:smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Great move! Now he can work on his education instead of feeling desperate to gather a household together.:clap:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Brian it is great good folk like you are working in this line of work....could have been easy for you to just say "good luck kid" and walk away yet you have gone above and beyond and sir you have my full respect and i would buy you a Beer any day of the week.

I wish this kid well in life.....all kids deserve a chance when family let them down in such a disgraceful way,foster care is not ideal and has many flaws but when the right person is on the case then happy endings are possible.

Thanks Brian.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
That brought a tear to my own eye Brian. If I was closer, I have a bed of my own that I could donate. Thanks for sharing a wonderful start to today!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's why I love this job so much. I get to help those less fortunate then me. It is a very rewarding job. I'm now working on securing funding for him so he can further his education once he's done high school. As well, a coworker is working on his landlord to have his rent lowered. It's another great day today. The kind of day that leaves you all warm and fuzzy inside. We have a good team here. When one is down and struggling, we all chip in and go above and beyond the call of duty to help each other out.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, you make the world a better place and almost restore my faith in human beings but I have a question. Why do these kids have to move out of their foster homes when the turn 18?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good on you Brian. I'm sure he will remember the boost in life forever.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, you make the world a better place and almost restore my faith in human beings but I have a question. Why do these kids have to move out of their foster homes when the turn 18?

Child welfare agencies only cover children until they turn 18 because when they turn 18, they are now considered an adult for all intensive purposes. Allot of the children we work with have gone through the court system and are called "Crown Ward's" which essentially means that our agency is now essentially their parents. We also do what is called "Customary Care Agreements" which are basically agreements between the biological parents and our agency. These agreements keep the case out of court and conditions are set for the parents to meet in order to have their children returned. These could be anything from drug and alcohol counselling, anger management, parenting classes, etc.

When a judge gives an order for crown wardship, every order expires on the child's 18th birthday. We do offer to our children turning 18 the option of extended care and maintenance or ECM for short. This is an agreement between our agency and the young adult that basically says that as long as they are attending school regularly and are attempting to better themselves, they will receive a monthly check until they reach the age of 21. That's basically our only obligation to them beyond turning 18. It's really up to them to get themselves set up in most instances.