• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at buying a thiokol 1404 Imp

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Weasels are horrible in any deep snow. Pretty much any Spryte will perform 100 times better in the snow. Now having said that the 1404 and Super sprytes are not "POWDER" machines but do perform decently. Tracks can be modified to get extremely low psi ratings. I will post a thread on such a 1404 in a few minutes. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7430 I know of one great Super Imp (which you really want over a standard Imp) that is currently for sale by a total gear head who has completely rebuilt it. He is also an engineer so he knows his stuff. Anyway Any Imp like I said is better than ANY Weasel. Pm me if you want the number to the guy selling the Super Imp.

Mike

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I owned a wide track standard Imp and it was awesome in powder. The only thing going against it, is all of the gear shifting, with the 3 speed up front and the 4 speed rear end. Never lacked in power if you find the correct gear for the terrain and snow conditions. Below I am in about 30 inches of new snow on top of about 4 foot of old snow. No problem....:thumb:

Thiokol Imps are probably much better deep snow cats than many of the newer snow cats. The Imp just keeps on going and going just like the "energizer bunny".

236239234eWRMSF_ph.jpg

236223840CEKZod_fs.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Robert 45 said:
Pro's and Con's.
I had a weasel it was o.k. but looking for something that well take to powder better.
Not sure about any IMPs for sale, but one of our members has a very very nice Super IMP that is for sale. At least one of our other members has inspected this machine and reported that its condition is mechanically exceptional (at least it was as the time of inspection and is presumed to remain that way).

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=6869&highlight=Super+sale

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Mtntopper and I operate in similar type snow conditions. 1404 Imps are very good powder machines being light and manuverable with plenty of gears. They have a smooth belly so they can kind of paddle along on their belly like a seal when it comes to it. In Rocky Mtn snow conditions Super Imps are too heavy for the track foot print and get stuck easily if you take them off the trail.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
They have a smooth belly so they can kind of paddle along on their belly like a seal when it comes to it.

You must be thinking/talking about my lawn mower VMC.... :yum: It actually seems to get around/paddle along similar to an Imp. :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I must say I was only able to get the VMC Stuck a few times in some bottomless snow (I would never get out of the VMC into this stuff since I new it was so deep. I called it Quick Snow) I was able to back out though so I guess I wasnt really stuck but forward motion was done. I feel with the ROPS system off she would have done even better. The VMC was a great powder machine.

nutsster

In the deep snow of Utah, the wide track Imp 1404 will out perform a Super Imp due to the much lighter weight. It will not run as fast, but will climb and float better that the Super Imp. With less horse power, it will move along at a slower pace. The Super Imp with the OC 12 rear end is easier to steer and performs better than the C-4 rear end of the Imp. A Spryte will out climb any Imp and perform great in deep snow unless it has been weighted down with a full cab and fancy interior. :thumb:
My friend's wide track Imp will take on any Super Imp in deep snow!
:letitsnow:
P1010141_009_009 800X600.jpg

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well I guess the Imp is better in the deep stuff. I like the speed of a Super Imp and the oc12 rear. BUT if you have real deep powder then maybe the Imp is the way to go. I know the Super Imp I was talking about did pretty good in some deep stuff. The owner had widend the tracks so they were better than stock.

Sweet widetrack Imp Nutsster. I've got a cool pic of my neighbor's Super Imp breaking trail in several feet of freash pow....but as a new forum member I think I am limited to verbage.

Pics as promised. Notice that the snow is above the floorboards. BTW, the plow blade was all the way up and was still pushing snow. This 2-mile downhill (700') trek took forever in 1st and 2nd gears. Uphill would have been a no-go. IF you are dealing with DEEP snow, I'd consider something different.
:my2cents:

Attachments

• 2007_0227 Super Imp.jpg
    2007_0227 Super Imp.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 2007_0227 Super Imp 2.jpg
    2007_0227 Super Imp 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,795

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
On Donnor Summit
I see you have the standard small width tracks. The Super Imp I was driving had or has the wide tracks. It actually did pretty decent in some powder we were in up in Lomoile canyon NV. I know you can even put on some wider tracs if you want. I believe his tracks are 31" width and can go up to 36 relativley easily. I have even seen some for sale for $400 bucks for a set in decent condition which is a steal! Anway nice pictures. Have anymore?

Vance

Nice pics, Humpty!!!

Good to see ya on here :tiphat:

It would be nice to hear some info from a REAL snowcat operator as most of US on here are just wanna be operators...

Welcome,

Vance
:letitsnow:

Correct....25.5" track width on the Super Imp. So you are looking at a PSI imrovement of 18% or 29% with the wider tracks. A side benefit from the wider tracks is that you won't have as much snow spilling into the cabin as I often experience. Of course, one should not operate any cat with the doors open but the Imp's defroster leaves much to be desired (con). Also the small size of the cabin is a con for big people, but you already know that.

Attached some more pics from the same day. The frontal shots were taken by backing up and walking in front of the machine. Wider tracks would be sweet. :coolshade

Attachments

• 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3001.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,742
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3002.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,709
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3003.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,731
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3004.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 3004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,737

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Man I just love deep snow! Thanks for the pics. I cant believe we didnt get a huge dump this year. Of course that is of today. Who knows in 5 minutes. Anway post any and all pics you can. I am working on getting some pictures from a trip last year. I took a bunch of State and local Government officials up to a Lodge to inspect it for the Ronald McDonald House charity. They will be using it for winter activities. Anyway I will post them in another section. Nice pics.

Robert 45

Hi everyone,:wave:
I bought a 1404 WT Imp from Bill at Snowtrans in Weiser, ID. :thumb:
Was within my budget and well serve my needs well. Thanks for all the input :tiphat: and hope to get to the snow this next weekend. Work got in the way this weekend. Well take some pictures and post after I get back from the snow..
Robert Barrow

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Congrats, :thumb: :applause: which one did you get? Was it the Imp with only 790 hours? Post some pics asap. You will like it and have some great fun with it. Make sure you ask Bill at Snotrans for a manual for your 1404 Imp. :weneedpic :letitsnow: