• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good to have water pressure again!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Replaced the pressure tank for my well.

Amazing the difference it makes to the water pressure in the house. The old pressure tank was the same size as this one, 40 gallons. But it was 19+ years old and apparently had leaked/lost pressure. Its been pretty hard to rinse the shampoo from our hair lately. Oh the pressure is good WHEN the pump kicks in, but when the pump cycled off the pressure would slowly drop to intolerable levels. And with a 40 gallon pressure tank the pump would cycle off pretty regularly.

So my buddy the plumber showed up, 2 hours later, the new tank was done.

If you have a well and if its older and you've got lousy water pressure, consider swapping the pressure tank!

The lovely Mrs_Bob is much happier. That makes me much happier too :clap:

I don't mess with plumbing, I'd like to learn, but every time I try I end up with a leak! Think I'll stick to electrical, paint, plaster, tile. . .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a well and if its older and you've got lousy water pressure, consider swapping the pressure tank!
Not sayin that the tank didn't need replacing but more often than not it's just the pressure regulator that goes bad. It regulates the amount of water pressure that is shoved up against the bladder (in the tank) and the amount of pressure that it falls to before the pump turns on and re-pressures the tank.

But what the hell, if you got almost 20 years out of the tank who cares, right? Most important is Mrs. Bob is happy and the problem is behind you.
:thumb:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hate to mention, on baldder style tanks there is a shrader valve (tire valve) you put air in when the tank is empty. If I remember right, about 15 psi.. This will help out an older tank that has over the years lost some of it's air. But if the bladder is perforated it won't help for long as the air gets entrained in the water as is lost that way...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My old tank didn't have one of those valves.

My new tank does.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Having lived with low water pressure the first 5 years we were married is why I ran a 3" line to supply my 2 barns, pool house and house. Granted, our garden hoses only last maybe a year or two, but having enough volume of water to run 4 showers at once and not notice any change in pressure if 3 or 4 toilets flush at once is nice. At the end of my furthest run I still have over 80psi of pressure.

I had no idea how overkill a 3" line was when I installed it, but after being scalded in the showers if someone flushed in our last house, it is still worth it IMHO. The tap in fee was HUGE as I recall, but I'd still do the same after living with that 360' deep well with a 240v 2hp pump at our last house that was extremely inadequate. I think it cost me thousands to go from a (stupidly small) 3/4hp pump on that deep well to the 2hp pump with a new pressure tank and it was still woefully inadequate. I assume your well either isn't that deep or you have a stronger pump. We never ran out of water, but we never had good pressure. My current lawn hoses have more pressure than I had at our old house with an electric pressure washer!