• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

darn gas line

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple weeks ago I rented cool tool. A mini ditch witch. Instead of a chain saw like blade like a big ditch witch this was designed to go between 3 to 7 inches deep. Looked like a lawn mower blade mounted sideways.

We were burying cable for invisible fence and only needed a 3 inch trench. The tool worked great. Cut into our rock like clay with no problem. I had a couple of 4" flexible pipe drain lines to go over and the 1st one was a bit of a problem. So when we got to the 2nd one we had the option of doing an end around (it was just a few extra feet ..so no big deal). We were all careful and got around the 4" flex pipe just fine. But the trencher died. It had done that a couple times before, no problem. We started back up and continued trenching when all the sudden I smell natural gas real strong, and it dawns on me. We might have cut the gas line. Sure enough it comes out of the ground a few inches behind the path we chose to trench. :(

So 3/4 way through the invisible fence job I had to drop everything ride an ATV 1/2 mile to the well, shut off the gas, mend gas line with spare fitting, back and turn on gas, check new fitting, turn on house safety shut off, and relight a pilot. No fun at all. Just glad I had the spare fitting ....thats because one other time showing the wifey how cool my FEL was I got a bit carried away and cut into the line ....history repeats itself. I've already picked up another spare.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OhioTC18 said:
And your gas line is that shallow??
My question/thought exactly. Why is the gas line so close to the surface?

Glad nothing blew-up and you got it fixed but that sounds like it was no fun.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
OhioTC18 said:
And your gas line is that shallow??

When they trenched my line in converting from LP gas to natural they only ran that down 2 - 3". And that is a high pressure line. I don't know how many pounds it is but my meter drops it down to 2psi so it will a lot higher before the meter. But not deep as you would think it should be.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The line is above ground all the way except for about 200 feet from our house. Where I cut through is right where the gas line came out of the ground (3 inches away). The line from our house to that point is 2 feet deep. I had thought of the line and knew it was down plenty far for what we were doing. Changing the planned route got me. ...or a case of the 'duh's' :D

I left out a key part ...theh line was installed in 97. the weeds and such had overgrown the whole area and covered the line completely. That's how we missed seeing it.

Last edited:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You said that you went down to the well and turned the line off. Do you own your own gas well? Around here, when you have a problem with natural gas, you call the gas company or take a Tums.. :moon:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No I don't own a well or a gas company; darnit! :)

But we got the free gas hookup. So, I am our gas man, in more ways than one. :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, by the way ...don't let anyone tell you they get FREE gas. Free gas is not free. We had this hookup since 1997 and paid approx 3000 for installation and maint. (2500 installation / 500 maint). For sure it's cheaper than paying the gas company, but it ain't free.

buy_25

Banned
My NG line was about 15 inches down...Not per code but whatever.

And the gas comp did the hookup to my house, layed pipe/hose for the donut!