• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New TV for office. Need help.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an old tube-type TV in my office and with my current setup, it's the opposite direction of my computer (TV is at my back). Can't move the computer direction, don't want to move the old TV.

So, I want to get a new TV in the 40" or so range and mount on the wall so I can see it directly over my computer.

So, I see these new (to me) Smart TV's. It says you can connect devices wirelessly but I think that it's phones and tablets but not a computer.

Anyone know of a TV/monitor combo in that size that I can connect to a cable box but also (preferably wireless) connect to my computer so I can use it as an extended monitor?

Connect to PC is optional so anyone have any thoughts on Smart TV's in that size? I'm currently considering a 40" Samsung.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, dug around more.

My computer won't accept another video device. Scratch the computer connection.

Tinkered with the cable boxes.

Ripped the TV out of the living room and brought it down to the office. It fits nicely so I'm going to keep it.

Cable guy comes Friday morning to re-arrange all the cable boxes and such. It's $17.50 for him to come and do it or... I buy 3 cables at around $10 each and do everything myself. That's a no-brainer.

Off to Costco tomorrow to get a new TV for the living room to replace the one I swiped.

Not sure if they'll have a wall mount or a good speaker system so I may have to go online for that.

Was going to get a speaker bar but the speaker system I got for my computer is so kick-ass, I'm thinking of going with the same thing for my TV.
Logitech Speaker System Z623 - THX-certified 2.1 speaker system
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAHYTG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Logitech Speaker System Z623: Electronics[/ame]

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That speaker system does look good. I never considered using computer speakers on the TV. Are the hookups the same, and does the TV have enough for those speakers? I'll have to take a close look at the hookups on my TV. Interesting.

Any down side to these? Does mute work? If you have speakers set at mid level so you can up and down the volume with the TV remote mute might still have the speakers playing at mid level. At least that is how one of my SIL's had his hooked up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc. It connects to computer and PC via a single 3.5mm jack (the same jack that's on phones, iPads...). It has it's own amp in the sub-woofer so it doesn't rely on much power from the TV/computer.

I don't have the TV up and running yet to check the volume control but mute and volume on my PC keyboard controls these speakers.

I told a friend about these a couple years back after I got mine so he bought a set for his computer. When he got the package, he opened it and connected to his phone. It sounded so good it never made it to his computer. He uses it for his outdoor system at his new house. His place is probably 500' from mine. I can hear the music clearly when he cranks it up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - Connected the speakers to the TV.

On the TV, if you set Analog Audio Out to Variable, the TV remote controls the volume on the external speakers. If you set it to fixed, the volume needs to be controlled at the speaker (right satellite speaker has the controls).

You can also have the TV speakers on or off when these are plugged in.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very kewl. Best of both worlds. I might give em a try in my setup. I have a receiver and external speakers I'm not thrilled with. This could be a cheaper solution than buying new surround sound. Would work for me. Thanks Brian.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it doesn't work out for your TV, it's a great system for a computer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use ear buds on my laptop most of the time if I want sound ...I rarely use the tower anymore. Can't even remember the last time I was on it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought the Samsung 3d blu-ray player with 5 speakers a lot cheaper than any sound system. It is smart type same as the tv. The direct tv remote will control it. Either one will do wireless as well. I never use that function.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of a blue ray player with speakers but sounds like a good idea. Thanks Muley.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Doc - did you get a set of those Logitech z623's?

I've only had them connected to the TV for about a week but they're going to stay. A lot better than the OEM speakers included in the TV.

Bought another set to put them back on my computer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, still dragging my feet on that one. Seems like a great option though. I'll probably get a set later this fall. All my fun money now is reserved for boating.

grizzer

Kane

Just scored one of these. It's called the LG SOUND PLATE. Surprising sound, and sure saves a lot of space.

Slim yet powerful enough for an impressive multi-channel surround sound experience for around two hundred bucks.

LAP340

• Sleek Design
  • 4.1Channel Surround
  • Dual Built-in Subwoofers
  • The Right Fit for Your TV

xlarge01.jpg

medium02.jpg

medium03.jpg

medium04.jpg

Slim yet powerful enough for an impressive multi-channel surround sound

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that LG made to have/hold a TV on top of it?

It looks pretty slim but a big gripe about sound bars is that when put on the shelf in front of the TV, it blocks the IR receiver for the remote control.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

It looks pretty slim but a big gripe about sound bars is that when put on the shelf in front of the TV, it blocks the IR receiver for the remote control.

I just buy shelf brackets and mount them to the back of the tv, and put my center channel speaker on the brackets. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.:wink:

Kane

Yes, your tee vee is intended to sit on top of it. It uses a single optical connection, or Bluetooth, to the source. There are two bass speakers on the bottom of the thing that really do a job. It has a few preprogrammed equalizer settings for different activities ... games, sports, movies, etc.

So unless you are a rabid audiophile and require the biggest and best with 180 stereo separation and lots of knobs, the unit is pretty slick.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just buy shelf brackets and mount them to the back of the tv, and put my center channel speaker on the brackets. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.:wink:
What kind of shelf brackets? Can they take a 3' long sound bar and strap to the back of the TV?
The TV in my bedroom is sitting on some phone books so the IR sensor is above the sound bar. You can see the phone books since the sound bar covers the front of them.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
That would work, but I just bought L shaped brackets at the hardware store and some metric allen screws that match the wall mount holes on the back of the tv. Drill holes in the brackets to match the VESA pattern and easy peasy lemon squeezy, you got a place to put your speaker.:w00t2: