• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why are coins hard to find during the pandemic?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

'The typical places where coin enters our society have slowed or even stopped the normal circulation of coin'

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/why-are-coins-hard-to-find-during-the-pandemic

The Federal Reserve has seen a significant decline of coins in circulation because people are not spending them as regularly at businesses, many of which are either temporarily closed or not accepting cash.

Coins are still plentiful. In April, the U.S. Treasury estimated more than $47.8 billion were in the market, up by more than a billion dollars compared to last year.

But in recent months, people have not been spending those coins at places like laundromats, banks, restaurants, or shops because the businesses are closed, or people are not visiting them as often as they were before the pandemic.

“The typical places where coin enters our society have slowed or even stopped the normal circulation of coin,” said the Federal Reserve, which manages coin inventory, in a June statement.

Sales at restaurants, bars and gas stations dropped more than 40% in April compared with a year ago. Sales have since picked up, but some businesses — like bars — remain shuttered in certain states, while others can only operate at a limited capacity.

The Federal Reserve has encouraged banks to order only the coins they need and to make depositing coins easy for customers. One Wisconsin bank system offered its customers a $5 bonus for every $100 in coins they brought into exchange at a branch.

The program was so successful, the bank suspended it after only a week.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
The law of unintended consequences seems to be in effect in a lot of different ways nowadays!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m hoarding them along with my Charmin

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I got in the habit of saving quarters about 20 years ago. So after about 3 years I'd cash them in and treat myself to something like a gun. It's about $1,000 each time.

I think a lot of people have done the same thing for decades, so I don't think this is anything new. This is a facade to get us to use credit cards because it's easier for the banks, Walmart and the rest of the puppet masters who are controlling most of our politicians.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The law of unintended consequences seems to be in effect in a lot of different ways nowadays!!

Possibly it's the law of intended consequences. Never let a crisis go to waste.
A lot of companies and the government would prefer a cashless economy.

This virus is getting blamed for a lot of things.