• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB Thiokol 601

powderDave

Hi, I am looking to buy a Thiokol 601 close to Canada if possible (where I live). I want to use it for private backcountry access in deep snow for skiing/snowboarding. I need to drive down a road for 10miles or so to get to the deep stuff. Is the 601 a good machine for this? I love the look and cab functionality. What is the top speed? I'm new to big snow machines and this forum, so please excuse my rookie behavior... I am thankful for any info to help me get into a decent vintage cat.

BradHawthorne

601 are great machines, I use one for work all winter. Mine with C6 auto and efi 300-6 can hit 30 IMO thats just way to fast for any large track machine, way to much can go wrong at those speeds. The weakest link in the 601 is the front axle, but most of them with owners who have updated them for reliable use with auto transmissions and newer efi motors have also done the 5,500 lb torsion axle upgrade. I would consider selling mine but its not a $10-12k barn find machine. The deepest snow I've been in was 4 ft, it only sank in 6-8 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 10177253_760025797398889_3388653465706393006_n.jpg
    10177253_760025797398889_3388653465706393006_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 397

powderDave

Hey Brad, thanks for the help! I just want something reliable. What do you think that will cost me? Are barn finds needing work usually between 10-15k?

BradHawthorne

The base platform of the 601 is very reliable, the industrial ford 6 is a great motor and the manual trans is pretty stout. I saw an original running machine out west in great condition list for 24k +- it had 800 hrs and needed nothing if you wanted to keep it stock. I'm by far the expert on the 601 but what I've found is barn finds can be all over the board. You can find a running 601 that the guy has no idea on what he has sell for 8k with a trailer (very rare) and one needing tracks, motor and pretty much in need of a full rebuild sell for 10-12k. Or a done way wrong resto mod with dodge motor in running condition list for 18k.

BradHawthorne

Sorry just saw I need to make an edit to #6 "I'm by far the expert on the 601 but what I've found is barn finds can be all over the board" "I'm by far not the expert on the 601" I missed the NOT. Hopefully I did't offend anyone on here, Lots of knowledgeable people on this site didn't mean to step on any toes.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How my old 601 running now? Used to be orange (sort of ) the belts were new a few years ago. Had tons of power
Once part of the herd, but non original just like others before it and after exiled from the pack. It was a good machine don't get me wrong just not original.

BradHawthorne

Well, it would have been a long road for some.. but not really if you have a 100T press, can run a nice clean bead and turn a wrench.. having knowhow on hammer rivets helps lol but most important. Understanding simple gear boxes and reading other people BS helps to.

So, after rolling it off the trailer AND all of sudden the front axle spinal broke and the tire rolled in the ditch...after further inspection it was JB welded 1/2 inch behind the nut...on the spindle.. so moving on, I know it wasn't the guy I bought it from as he paid me for the new axle (not saying it was you either MNoutdoors it had three on-line owners before you put in your "herd"..) Its just a used machine, you get what you pay for..just like anything found on line. Thats why reputable www. are so important. So after very few no helpful phone calls and some profit laden estimates I retro fited the 5.500 lb (available after minimal search and shipped for $600- custom offset rims needed. If you know how to read a tape) and two foamer front tires bolted on finished the front end off. :ermm: it was moving again.

As most, before you buy anything you look before purchase for the weakest link..after the front axle on the the 601..Take my word dont look, just buy a parts car. After thats its the grousers..not because there weak..its because they really sink to make. And with the 601, a reputable supplier for grousers:whistling: is worth gold. Everyone has a guy or some pillow NOS at an inflated price and if the dust settles in your favor:yum:. I just make my own. Ya, they stink to make but they sell for $175 + shipping (heat treated and banded on both sides better than NOS..no paint).. each. So what, ever it pays my internet bill:whistling: and my taxes.

So, on to the rumors. upon purchase I messaged a few members looking for history and found this, (see picture) Whoofda! So now its time to disassemble the rear end...based on a message from this forum. :Long story short no JB weld not even a reibuild mark was foound on the OC-15 rear end..NONE!! what a bunch of BS that was........still a bit upset over that one (No offense, hear say is just that. You just need to watch what you say if you didn't see it) My findings (Fact) So, all new bearings on order.. rumors being rumors...(USA MADE), it did take two weeks. It was like replacing new with new, it made me sick, but when in Roam.. While I had it all apart riveting new break bands with modern ceramic material was done, toping it off with some amsoil. Before it was done all I ended up making a deal on used OC-15 on CL for parts, guy had no clue what he had, easy buy at $180..200 miles..I know, don't shoot me, he was happy.:biggrin: it turned out to be NOS with tar for oil and original bands and never used. now:clap: (its not for sale)

The outer skin was a mess, so I fixed it...easiest job on the whole thing. I can still hear the air hammer running in my dreams and crust falling off the inside...ish just ish. So scrape and re spray.

After all that, we pulled the 1994 motor and auto trans and brought it to local shop, trans was new and stamped so no bill. Motor had two down holes in the 80 lb range, So six new sleeves and six new pistons along with timing chain and high pressure oil pump...Got the head done to, why not right?..Yes, full rebuild.

Some new seats, 12 inch GPS and sick a light bar and some rino lining in the cab. Done.

Probably an ok flip for ya MNoutdoors, throw some belting in on the deal and sold? (I dint buy from MNoutdoors, I'm 2nd ownrer after the flip) but it really works for me after a ton of work and after billing out the labor to my self and what I love to do for living. Pretty cool to think something from 1967 could make so many of my customers happy, going on two years after full rebuild and happy to be a contributor to this forum. Who know she might go another 50 years. I might even pass it down to my son.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.57.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.57.14 PM.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
x2 for the riveting. good god, I only did some 60"x 24" patches on a full cab LMC and My daughter was my hero for Wo (man handling) the bucking block.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it would have been a long road for some.. but not really if you have a 100T press, can run a nice clean bead and turn a wrench.. having knowhow on hammer rivets helps lol but most important. Understanding simple gear boxes and reading other people BS helps to.

So, after rolling it off the trailer AND all of sudden the front axle spinal broke and the tire rolled in the ditch...after further inspection it was JB welded 1/2 inch behind the nut...on the spindle.. so moving on, I know it wasn't the guy I bought it from as he paid me for the new axle (not saying it was you either MNoutdoors it had three on-line owners before you put in your "herd"..) Its just a used machine, you get what you pay for..just like anything found on line. Thats why reputable www. are so important. So after very few no helpful phone calls and some profit laden estimates I retro fited the 5.500 lb (available after minimal search and shipped for $600- custom offset rims needed. If you know how to read a tape) and two foamer front tires bolted on finished the front end off. :ermm: it was moving again.

As most, before you buy anything you look before purchase for the weakest link..after the front axle on the the 601..Take my word dont look, just buy a parts car. After thats its the grousers..not because there weak..its because they really sink to make. And with the 601, a reputable supplier for grousers:whistling: is worth gold. Everyone has a guy or some pillow NOS at an inflated price and if the dust settles in your favor:yum:. I just make my own. Ya, they stink to make but they sell for $175 + shipping (heat treated and banded on both sides better than NOS..no paint).. each. So what, ever it pays my internet bill:whistling: and my taxes.

So, on to the rumors. upon purchase I messaged a few members looking for history and found this, (see picture) Whoofda! So now its time to disassemble the rear end...based on a message from this forum. :Long story short no JB weld not even a reibuild mark was foound on the OC-15 rear end..NONE!! what a bunch of BS that was........still a bit upset over that one (No offense, hear say is just that. You just need to watch what you say if you didn't see it) My findings (Fact) So, all new bearings on order.. rumors being rumors...(USA MADE), it did take two weeks. It was like replacing new with new, it made me sick, but when in Roam.. While I had it all apart riveting new break bands with modern ceramic material was done, toping it off with some amsoil. Before it was done all I ended up making a deal on used OC-15 on CL for parts, guy had no clue what he had, easy buy at $180..200 miles..I know, don't shoot me, he was happy.:biggrin: it turned out to be NOS with tar for oil and original bands and never used. now:clap: (its not for sale)

The outer skin was a mess, so I fixed it...easiest job on the whole thing. I can still hear the air hammer running in my dreams and crust falling off the inside...ish just ish. So scrape and re spray.

After all that, we pulled the 1994 motor and auto trans and brought it to local shop, trans was new and stamped so no bill. Motor had two down holes in the 80 lb range, So six new sleeves and six new pistons along with timing chain and high pressure oil pump...Got the head done to, why not right?..Yes, full rebuild.

Some new seats, 12 inch GPS and sick a light bar and some rino lining in the cab. Done.

Probably an ok flip for ya MNoutdoors, throw some belting in on the deal and sold? (I dint buy from MNoutdoors, I'm 2nd ownrer after the flip) but it really works for me after a ton of work and after billing out the labor to my self and what I love to do for living. Pretty cool to think something from 1967 could make so many of my customers happy, going on two years after full rebuild and happy to be a contributor to this forum. Who know she might go another 50 years. I might even pass it down to my son.

Great write up, you are really almost a expert ! Yes when we got we did not do much to it other than get it to run and drive. It did have a bunch of holes in the skin like mentioned. We did inspect the differential (the most important part of any track rig ) it was fine.

As posted here on the Forums we have said before one of the weakest points of the 600 series is the axles.

It had marginal belting but when we sold it. It was sold as such. And this was not sold as a rebuilt machine to the PO before you.

We collect the 600 series machines and this one did not fit in. Just as the 10 others we have let go from the '' Herd " they did not make the cut. Not that they were bad machines but not to our liking. On yours
It was the holes in the skin along with the engine transmission upgrade one of the PO had done. It did have tons of power when we had it for a bit. Had to be carefull with the sticky gas pedal so not to spin the tracks on take off. :wink:

I don't know you, never have met you. Did not sell to you. I'm sure your a great
Guy.

There are still some 600 series machines for sale around. Most are just like all the rest 50 plus year old machines that need some love. And a complete rebuild or going through all systems before they could be trusted. Once gone through they make a decent machine with higher travel speed than most cats out there.
I would not use them in deep powder snow conditions with the stock tracks but with different tracks they would be fine.

For the Midwest snows and lake travel they do just fine.