• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snowmaster steering column removal

Greg7510

Hi,

Anyone have knowledge of removing the steering column from the variator so I can pull the transmission out? I got as far as taking the worm gear partially out but there is a cable inside it that is still attached to something. It is holding our progress of getting the transmission out.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the steering gear is bolted to the post's on the varriator and is just un bolted and a link is disconnected I have one disassembled with the box still attached would you like me to snap some pics of it so you can see where the bolts are the wire inside goes to the horn which likely doesn't work anyway.

Greg7510

Thanks Don for the reply, however I think Im in over my head now because I thought I could just disconnect the steering column just before the steering box to take it apart there. Not sure where I will end up now or if I ruined it by doing that. I hope not. I will unbolt it where you said and see if I can put it back together.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the steering box is a vw part you should find a parts diagram as to how it goes back together they are pretty simple.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
The links may be frozen by rust. I wasn't able to press the pin out on the gear box end on mine. I wound up removing the other end and just letting them dangle. I left the whole box in place.

Greg7510

Don,

Thanks for all your help. I did get the steering box put back together and it appears it works fine. I will try and find the picture online and see if I got it right.

Cidertom,

Thanks for the reply, I also found my pin was frozen in the arm of the steering assembly. Had to pound it out by working it back and forth and finally broke loose.

Having both the transmission and engine rebuilt. Also I am going to get some 16 tooth sprockets made up and brakes redone. Lots to do before winter.