• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone getting this big rain and snow storm?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Was going to be working outside on the new greenhouse today. Forecast was for a sunny morning in the 40's then rain late in the afternoon. We have been getting rain since 8am and wind gusts to 35 mph. I hauled a round baleage over to the Amish and the rain has not even slowed down. They have issued a flood warning followed by several inches of snow tomorrow. Time for inside projects for a few days.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It rained and blew like crazy from around midnight til 6 this morning.
It's still windy and raining lightly.
Blahhh weather!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has rained here all day. They mentioned a chance of snow tomorrow. I guess there is a big ole cold front behind the wet stuff we are getting now.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has rained here all day. They mentioned a chance of snow tomorrow. I guess there is a big ole cold front behind the wet stuff we are getting now.

Ditto .................. ^

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting the same here. Looking at the maps, we're all under the same flood watch.

I live in a low area with a creek out back. The water is rising steadily. The ground is so soft I'm half tempted to go roll the lawn.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Huge snowflakes on and off all day today with rain mixed in. One degree above freezing. Huge mess outside right now. We had 2 ft of snow. Now its 2 ft of slush.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mule, do you have your rowboat ready?
If I need a boat up on this hill at 1950 ft. elevation the rest of you are already ducks. Do need to get my boots out as there is standing water in the yard in places. Just went out to put wood in and the first 2 rows in the shed are wet from the rain driving in from the south. Damn glad this is not snow or I would be needing the chains on stuff.

rugerman

Its rained here most of the day, 65 this morning, got up to 75 today supposed to get down to 33 tonight and windy. Already have over a inch of rain today and its still raining. Need the rain, don't need the wind or a tornado.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had a mist of rain and a dust of snow. But dam that wind is cold and strong. :fr2:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Our wind has been driving from the south but will change over as the cold front pushes in here. Most likely the temps will stay up till mid day then drop quick and end up in the low 20's. With the cold they are calling for the ground should freeze pretty quick and end the mud and slop for a while.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was going to be working outside on the new greenhouse today. Forecast was for a sunny morning in the 40's then rain late in the afternoon. We have been getting rain since 8am and wind gusts to 35 mph. I hauled a round baleage over to the Amish and the rain has not even slowed down. They have issued a flood warning followed by several inches of snow tomorrow. Time for inside projects for a few days.

Boohoo I was going to try and get to my cabin this weekend :sad:

If I get there Ill wave to ya I'm at 2100ft

tom

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I've had a couple beers and quit trying to do the math.

I have a creek in my back yard. It's running pretty damn hard/high right now.

Normally, it would take a half hour or more to fill a 55 gallon drum with water.

Presently (and someone figure out the math for me)...

The main part is running at 12' wide by 2' deep and when I threw a stick in, I ran as fast as I could but couldn't keep up so by visual, I'm guessing 12 MPH. How many GPH is running through this thing?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I've had a couple beers and quit trying to do the math.

I have a creek in my back yard. It's running pretty damn hard/high right now.

Normally, it would take a half hour or more to fill a 55 gallon drum with water.

Presently (and someone figure out the math for me)...

The main part is running at 12' wide by 2' deep and when I threw a stick in, I ran as fast as I could but couldn't keep up so by visual, I'm guessing 12 MPH. How many GPH is running through this thing?

11,375,177.1 US gallons per hour.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this was the result of icy roads last time
truckdammage.jpg

and

truckoverhill.jpg

What you cant see is the right tires hanging in mid air but I got Broughtons on speed dial and have my check book with me.

tom

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Dave!!!

11M (OMG!!!) GPH makes me appreciate the effort I spent in running mega-tile around the whole place.

I've walked the basement, perimeter and out-buildings and all are hanging in there nicely. A couple years ago, I'd be in mop-up mode right now.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
11M (OMG!!!)

Yeah, when you do the math on rainfall, it's pretty incredible.

As an example, if a 1/4" of rain falls on Cook county, IL (basically Chicago and the suburbs), that is about 7 BILLION US gallons! That's 83 hours of your little creek running at full speed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok...this mild weather sucks! Today was a mixture of everything here. One minute, it was raining. I look out the window 5 minutes later, HUGE snowflakes coming down....whiteout conditions. A couple minutes later....rain again. MAJOR slush here on all the streets now. The drive home from work sucked. Had to drive in 4 inches of slush on the highway with a nice layer of ice underneath for 30 miles.

loboloco

Heavy rains here since abt 830 pm. High winds too, but we didn't get the hails or any twisters close here.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just enough blowing snow this morning to stick to the street edges and on my garden shed roof.
It's beginning to stick a little to the grass now.

Attachments

• 2010-12-01 09-25-37.667.jpg
    2010-12-01 09-25-37.667.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 37

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are at 27 and snowing like mad right now. This could get interesting. If the ground was froze it would be adding up fast. We can be glad this whole storm had warm air with it early on or we would be having one hell of a blizzard. It is always the southern storms that dump on us hard.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's just fluttering around out there now, and what was on the street has melted.
Nothing major forecast for here at all.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have 2 inches on the ground and it is snowing hard. Hard to believe it is piling up like this after all the rain we had.:hammer: