• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stihl MS391

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I have been looking at chainsaws for a couple weeks now as the fire at my property in the mountains has given me a lot of trees to cut down and cut up. I wanted something not too heavy but capable of cutting down a large tree. I settled on a Still MS391 with a 25" bar. It weighs 13# ,64.1CC engine that makes 4.4 HP. They have good reviews and didn't break the bank @ $550.00 and I got a 2 year warranty also. Let the chips fly.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 36

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I have been looking at chainsaws for a couple weeks now as the fire at my property in the mountains has given me a lot of trees to cut down and cut up. I wanted something not too heavy but capable of cutting down a large tree. I settled on a Still MS391 with a 25" bar. It weighs 13# ,64.1CC engine that makes 4.4 HP. They have good reviews and didn't break the bank @ $550.00 and I got a 2 year warranty also. Let the chips fly.

25" bar? You must have some serious work in mind.

You spent good money on a good brand. That one will last you a while.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:th_lmao:

My Stihls are some of the best equipment I’ve owned! Chain saw is 20 years old and continues to chug along. All you have to do is keep them serviced. :mrgreen:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

For the money spent I don't think you could buy a better saw, the picture gives an idea of what I am dealing with. That tree was a cedar more than 100' tall and 5' across the cut. The forest service cut it down but I will have to cut it up. Most of the trees that need to come down are in the 18"-30" range and smaller but there are a few like this one. There is one in particular that is away from the cabin but one whole side of the trunk is burned out and trees like that I would prefer to take down on my terms before the wind blows them down. I might as well get a log splitter too.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 33

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn that's a big tree. Most around here are a quarter that size. My husqvarna 350 is all I need. That's my main firewood saw. I have an old poulan 36cc 16" I carry in the side by side. I've used it nearly every time I go out hunting birds.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Stihl makes good saws. I have a couple although the last saw I bought was an Echo. I hate Stihl's gas tank caps. I've had to replace them on both my saws. The rubber doesn't like gas with ethanol in it and swells up making it almost impossible to get them seated properly. I haven't had any trouble with the replacements so maybe Stihl changed the composition of the rubber. I'm hoping anyway. If you have access to ethanol free gas I'd use it in the mix.

You better look after that saw because it looks as if you have a lot of work for it to do. Good luck.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the exact same saw.
It is my "stumper" saw. It has a wider heavier chain than most home owner type saws. I should know as it took a rather wide swath of skin off my knee cap several years ago, late one after noon. I should have had my chaps on, I was tired and should have taken a break, but my hep wanted to go home lol..

That chain has momentum. After reaching up and out to cut a limb, off the throttle and let the saw come down, but that chain was still turning as it hit my jeans. I felt a tug and a sting, and realized what had happened.

At the ER it took 19 stiches, and ruined a good part of my summer.
Be sure to were chaps when using a saw such as this.

Great saw, big chips, lots of them!!

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate Stihl's gas tank caps. I've had to replace them on both my saws. The rubber doesn't like gas with ethanol in it and swells up making it almost impossible to get them seated properly.
There was a recall on those caps. I just took all my Stihl items to a dealer (so they can take note of the serial #'s) and they gave me replacements.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
There was a recall on those caps. I just took all my Stihl items to a dealer (so they can take note of the serial #'s) and they gave me replacements.

I must have missed it. It got to where I hated using my stihl saws. Hold those suckers above your head and you were likely to be dowsed in gasoline because the cap wasn't seated properly. I used to think that they were the result of an engineer who is left to run wild without adult supervision. What's wrong with the good, old, tried and tested screw on cap? It works!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't had any problems with the replacement caps. They only cost a few dollars so I'm not too upset that I missed the recall.

Years ago I only ran Echo equipment. I slowly transitioned to Stihl. I'm in the process of moving back to Echo. I think that the only Stihl equipment that I have left are two saws. With the new caps they are working well so I'll probably keep them although my go-to saw right now is a 16" Echo.

If I ever need a saw like m1west just bought, I'm calling a professional. :)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
A wise decision. I don't wear mine all the time but if I'm going to be cutting for more than just a few minutes, I've got them on. It seems to be that when you get tired is when the accidents happen.

I have known a couple of people who have cut themselves badly with a chain saw. Strangely, it doesn't cut flesh, it tears it's way through and leaves a nasty open wound and an even nastier scar.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I ordered a set of chaps and a helmet with muffs and face shield. I use them when I'm out cutting more than a few pieces of wood. Better safe than sorry. Plus, the chaps keep the dust and chips out of my boots.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i use to wear my saw chaps when riding the bike more than cutting wood. i have a dolmar saw now with a 19 blade. 19 is a good size for me .i cut 5-6 cord a year of fir . i went to get a picture and see that the swiss
imports now have the makita name on them.
https://youtu.be/24PVIiRr6Wo?t=29

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been very lucky over the years. I chain saw a fair amount but have never owned a pair of chaps. I've had moments where I thought 'that was close, be careful dummy'. So thank you Frank and others who posted about the Chaps. I have a pair ordered. Tired of pushing my luck.