• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Whats wrong with people?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Just venting a little.

Doing work for the humane society, working with the public has really opened my eyes with some people. People who are interested in dogs or cats usually get in touch with us, then we make arrangements to see how the animal will behave with their prospective new owners. NOTHING is obligitory (sp?), and people have the "right" to bring the animal back during any amount of time if for some reason things don't work out.

Well, last night, after what seems like the ten thousandth time, I had to call two people because they never got back to me (actually, they never got back to my wife who had been talking with them). Well, seems like they've changed their mind, but for some reason, they see no reason to call, even after we work on getting a time to get together. I thank them for their time, and hang up. I don't want my irritated behavior to make a comment to them about their actions which would reflect negativley (sp?) on our organization.

I've shown up at people's houses only to have them tell me they've changed their mind (this after working with them for a month), people who make appointments, don't show, don't call, and then only when I call and finally get someone, they tell me "oh, sorry, we've changed our minds".

Don't people have gonads to tell someone they've changed their mind?

Heck, I've driven over an hour to meet with someone, they never show, then when I finally get ahold of them, guess what?!

Keep in mind, we don't consider ourselves overbearing or "pushy", we have a set of rules and regulations for adoption of animals that we follow, and anyone interested in adopting from us knows those rules up front.

E-mail? We're at the point with people that we don't even hold our breath if communication is done via e-mail, I'd say over 80% of the time people never do what they say they will when they communicate via e-mail.

Just seems that people have no sense of holding themselves to what they say they are going to do, and then when they change their mind, they seem that if they stop all communication, everything is ok.

What the &*%$ (excust the language) ever happened to common courtesy? For myself, if I make an appointment, I keep it. If I can't make the appointment, or I'm running late, I call to let the person know (for myself in business, this is a MUST). Yes, if there's an accident or something comes up, things happen, but for the most part, it seems like pure laziness.

Don't get me wrong, I've met some great people, great families who have made some loving homes for unwanted animals, did everything they say they were going to, and followed through with their actions, but sad to say, they are in the minority, not the majority.

I'm not venting about not being able to adopt the animals, just about peoples actions or lack of when they say they are going to do something, then don't and feel like if you don't communicate your intentions, everything is ok.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That would be extremely frustrating. I deal with people all the time via email and have not had the same problem as you've seen DZ. Over 90% keep their appointments or write and let me know the need to change / postpone our meeting.
To bad there is not a deposit or fee you could charge for not keeping a planned appointment. Doctors do it.
The lack of respect for someone else's time is appalling. Maybe make them all come to you rather than you going to meet them ..... grasping at straws here not knowing the entire situation.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I always try to find a silver lining in things, so I look at it this way: At least they showed their true colors before you placed a dog with them. Otherwise, that poor animal could be in for a miserable lifetime of neglect.

cj7

I have two words.

RESPECT

RESPONSIBILITY

seems there is not much of it around anymore, due to the way kids are raised? different backgrounds? beliefs?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Doc I think you are extremely lucky with your appointment record. When I worked sales I'd have to say that if I got 30% return on appointments (showing up or even calling) I was doing good.

No one has respect for anyone or anything any more. (I sound more and more like my father every day!)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree, I've been lucky .... but the people I'm meeting with already know they want something from me. I did some time in sales and I was the one pushing for the appointment and getting stood up more times than I care to remember.
We also have a weekly buy, sell & trade paper. When selling something I would get calls saying they would be by at such and such time, and never hear from them again. Very rude, inconsiderate people. I guess they are everywhere. :(

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I too am amazed at people today. They are not the same as when I grew up and thats not that long ago. When we adopted our dog we went through quite a bit! We have an over night stay. Then we had to bring him back. Then we had to have him another 3 day stay then bring him back. Then as a family we had to sit and talk to the staff about how much we wanted the dog. All this because he was a Pit Bull. BUT he has been the most absoulte best pet we or I have ever had. He is as much a part of our family as any of us. I know that sounds strange but its true. Anyway thanks for what you guys do! Its people like you that provided us with a wonderful dog. When we get another dog it will be from people like you again.

dzalphakilo

Banned
I always try to find a silver lining in things, so I look at it this way: At least they showed their true colors before you placed a dog with them. Otherwise, that poor animal could be in for a miserable lifetime of neglect.

We already have a list of people who have "stood us up", and down the road, if they call, they won't get the time of day from us. Personal philosophy is "due unto others".

Keep in mind, I'm a relocated yankee who can use profanity at times in the "Baptist" south doing outside sales. So far, after going on seven years, the "numbers" have never fallen. God forbid, I'm pretty good at dealing with people and my job. I'm use to the "business" side of people, particularly trying to sell.

Fact is I'm not trying to "sell" animals, but find good homes. There is a difference between a pain in the ass salesman who keeps bugging you and a person who initiates (sp?) contact because they are interested in an animal. Hell, I've kicked out salesmen out of my office because I don't have the time, and I'll always tell them where I stand and what I think they can offer. However, I look at this as more as a personal interaction than a business transaction. Fact is, if I had to deal with animals as a business transaction, I wouldn't be doing it.

Snowcat, a couple drove over an hour to visit us at Petsmart on a Saturday this past weekend. When we saw how they interacted with a dog, that showed us more than we could ever get on an application. We are driving to see them tomorrow to let us all see how our one dog interacts with their dog, and if everything goes well, that dog will be staying with them (unless of course, down the road, they change their mind). They have only seen the dog that one time mind you. We also have an Amercian Staffshire Terrier (AKA pitbull to everyone who sees her). I can assure you, when you see some of the people who want her and why, you tend to become a little more "cautious" with a "bully breed" and who wants them and why. On that note, Lexi is still up for adoption:)

dzalphakilo

Banned
When selling something I would get calls saying they would be by at such and such time, and never hear from them again. Very rude, inconsiderate people. I guess they are everywhere.

My whole point. When I take the time to make an appointment with someone and if I can't make it or I'm no longer interested, I tell them beforehand (I think it's just common courtesy). Just having to deal with inconsiderate people on a regular basis really makes me wonder.

HOWEVER, when I get christmas gifts for animals from people who've adopted from us, and they tell us what a difference an animal has made in their lives, it makes it all worthwhile.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Well, I've learned something.

A man middle aged man who lives in a trailer by himself, and is on disability, took the time to look after a stray pet (not to go into details, but you had to be there to see what his diability was and how he lived by himself). Went to visit him yesterday, and it makes me realize how much I take for granted in my life. What I was impressed with is how neat his place was, an American flag hanging by his door, and he actually cared. He called when he said he would, and actually took matters into his own hands instead of trying to "push" an issue onto other people.

That one man makes up for the 100 others that I wonder about.