• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

looking for a Power Lineman job

Robert

I just graduated from Northwest Lineman College its a trade school that teaches the skills needed to work with high voltage power lines and equipment. Its like the Harverd of lineman schools. I thought it might be a good idea to ask the FF community if they know anyone workng in the power industry that might need an apprentice lineman. I graduated top of my class with a 4.0 gpa with all the certifications available. I also got my Class A drivers license and my Crane Operators License. During graduation I was awarded with the Outstanding Field Performance Award the only one given out in the whole class of 48 people. I also just completed a college course math class. So if you know anyone you could ask I would really appreciate it. Thanks Robert

Attachments

• 05.16.2011 049.jpg
    05.16.2011 049.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 05.16.2011 060.jpg
    05.16.2011 060.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 222557_126424404101343_100002013526179_200955_1752211_n.jpg
    222557_126424404101343_100002013526179_200955_1752211_n.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,298
  • Rob's Cats tempory file... more on disk 009.jpg
    Rob's Cats tempory file... more on disk 009.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,287

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations!

In what geographical location are you looking for a job?

Robert

Thanks I'm willing to travel anywhere if the pay is good. I plan on getting my pilots license and a share of a plane so I can travel back and fourth to my hometown whenever I want. I live in Chico CA. and it would be nice to get a job in the area but I'm not going to limit myself.

Robert

Here is a video our class made. I can be seen climbing a 3:40 with the bucksqueeze if you are familiar wit it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgI05xY8uk"]YouTube - ‪NLC SPRING 2011 Blue team Class #13 Oroville CA‬‏[/ame]

Robert

Thanks Big Dog. I checked out there web site and they are some big players for mining and nuclear in texas. Most of there job postings are for people that are highly skilled in that aspect. I might be qualified to apply for one position but its going to take a major revise of my resume.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Big Dog. I checked out there web site and they are some big players for mining and nuclear in texas. Most of there job postings are for people that are highly skilled in that aspect. I might be qualified to apply for one position but its going to take a major revise of my resume.

They have a T&D devision, I just don't know what name it goes by!

norscaner

Cheers Robert.
I have been working telecom for 34 years hiking poles rain or shine. Check out the boys at www. line-man.com
they have a job board there and alot of great guys from cable, telco and power.

It was there that I found this forum.

Robert

Thanks everybody for all the help. I actually met one of the owners of line-man.com just befor I went into school his name is Robert Jaxon. I talked to him over the phone and he reccommended this career to me.

Robert

I'm all over these web sites sending out resumes. I think I will start cold calling and do some local walk in.

Robert

I just sent my resume into Alaska Electric Light and Power in Juneau Alaska. I totally wasn't qualified for the position they were offering, but I couldent pass up the chance to work in such a beautiful place.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats and good luck Robert
Alaska would be quite the adventure. I have a contact in Akron Ohio who might be able to help you get a job there. No clue on what the pay is, but it's with the local power company there. My friends son works there. They have to travel all over the state when we have big power outages.

Robert

Yeah there is lots of overtime pay when the storms come through. I know the union pays double on overtime. See if you can find out how much they pay.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
do a google search for "lineman jobs in" the state of your choice -- lots of job boards open up.

good luck!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would get on the ibew out of work list most utilitys up here are ibew and that's where you need to start

Robert

Thanks dds for the tip. I went down to the JATC on April 1 to sign the union haul books. That was the day they washed all the old names off the books and started over clean slate. So I turned in my info and have been waiting for a call, and they just called 3 days ago to let me know they are going over my paper work. When I was down there they guaranteed NLC. students an interview. Some class mates have already goten an interview. This should get me on with the IBEW. I going to search right now on how to get on the out of work list.

Robert

Thanks Eric Im all over the internet checking constantly. I apply to just about everything from the smallest position like meterreader to journey level positions. I will get something my sprits are high and Im actually enjoynig my free time while I have it. I know it wont last.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I would pick the area you want to work and go sign up at the IBEW local in that area.

There is a lot of that kind of work in Alaska, and flying is like driving a car in the States.

I've worked IBEW here in Alaska at times and they seem to be a pretty good Union to work out of.

Whynot

PSE&G

Never heard any complaints from their linemen but be warned, Plainfield is near NYC so you will be working in densely populated and sometimes not so nice areas.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i would follow fogtenders advice you always want to be on the out of work list for the local you are wanting to work in ibew is expensive compaired to the teamsters or operators union but you do get what you pay for i may vote republician but i also support the unions they will work harder to put you to work than jobservice will

Robert

I searched the IBEW out of work list and from what I understand you have to already be a Journeyman to get on the list. You have to show them your tremination slip from your previous employer.
Ive been thinking about taking a drive to sign the books in Portland OR. and then in Washington. I would continue on to Juneau Alaska but they require at least one year of residency befor signing. So I've been intertaining the idea how I could move to Alaska.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I would continue on to Juneau Alaska but they require at least one year of residency befor signing. So I've been intertaining the idea how I could move to Alaska.

Well you could walk, but driving or flying is much easier!

Sorry, that just jumped out and bit me....

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
instead of looking for work in anchoage or fairbanks i would get into anchorage feb or march than start looking for summer work in the villages AVEC would be a good start but also look at nome, kotzabue, Barrow and Bethel those utilitys are serate from AVEC nome just about always has a summer project going they usualy try to hihe localy first. If you have some other skills try nome things are hopping now move to nome on the cheap find any work estabilish resedincy than start trying to put your education to work

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Best way for a newby to come to Alaska is with a truck with and a camper on it. You have the ability to move around and look for work and have a place to stay til you get grounded with a job. Doesn't have to be fancy, just dry!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if i were to come to ak i think traveling light and by air is better if you need to get around buy a beater $1000.00 rig but if you aer going to wok in the bush it's a waste of money and time bringing a vehicle to ak as it would cost the same to barge it from seattle th trick is to keep it cheap if your coming up till you find work dutch harbor and nome seem some of the buisiest hubbs and wages stay good always work for someone willing to get up show up and pass a drug test.