• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC1200 on eBay - fully restored!

kgracey

Attachments

• 4a84_12.JPG
    4a84_12.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 47c0_12.JPG
    47c0_12.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 983f_12.JPG
    983f_12.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 461
  • 9451_12.JPG
    9451_12.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 9519_12.JPG
    9519_12.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 9908_12.JPG
    9908_12.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 472
Last edited by a moderator:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone notice the drop down video screen above the center console? Something tells me that between the noise of the tracks and the vibration of the unit, that video screen won't be a very useful option!

kgracey

BSkurka,

I've wondered the same about the stereo, too. I notice they include some headsets - wondering if the stereo is audible through the headsets. Thanks for editing my post with images - next time I'll add them in for us.

Ken

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl runs his Kristi KT7 with headphones, I believe he also feeds the stereo through his headphones. I think that would be a great set-up. My Snow Trac is pretty loud, not loud enough to make your ears bleed, but certainly loud enough that if you were playing a stereo you'd have to run it at pretty loud volume to hear the music.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The Snotrac is much louder than the LMC 1200 as I have owned both.

The fancy electrical sound and video equipment is just nothing but (foofoo sh!t) and really not useful or needed in a working snow cat. I guess it makes it more attractive to those that think that kind of crap is what makes the ride worthwhile. They just need to cruise down the highway in their BMW and forget about a snow cat. When I am in a snow cat, I want to hear the cat operate and see what is outside when snow catting and not listen to crap. I can hear or see that fancy sh!t home if I want too.

Ok either give me rep points :thumb: or rip me up :shitHitFan: that is the way I see it...Bill

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Mtntopper, this sure looks like the 8 wheel machine you used to own. ?

My 1200 LMC is for go and not for show......:thumb: I have scratches, faded paint, lots of rattles, an oil leaks, a cracked glass now and bent metal to prove it is used.:yum: Those kinds of beauty marks are the proof of a real productive will used snow cat....:poke: Is yours all shiney and looking like new?:4_11_9:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl runs his Kristi KT7 with headphones, I believe he also feeds the stereo through his headphones. I think that would be a great set-up. My Snow Trac is pretty loud, not loud enough to make your ears bleed, but certainly loud enough that if you were playing a stereo you'd have to run it at pretty loud volume to hear the music.

Bob ,
You are right . I do run the stereo through my commutications VOX headphones . The VOX system seems to work better than the music coming through .
Like MtnFlopper , I also like to hear the sound of the motor when driving . It does cut down on noise a lot .I seldom turn on the music unless we are stopped and partying !!!

Bill ,You know damn well my ass does not fit in a BMW ????:moon: :pirate: :poke:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[Is yours all shiney and looking like new?:4_11_9:[/quote]
Mine has the perfect 20/20 paint job. From 20 feet at 20 miles an hour it looks great!

ALLEN PARSONS

My 1200 LMC is for go and not for show......:thumb: I have scratches, faded paint, lots of rattles, an oil leaks, a cracked glass now and bent metal to prove it is used.:yum: Those kinds of beauty marks are the proof of a real productive will used snow cat....:poke: Is yours all shiney and looking like new?:4_11_9:

I feel the same about my cat. It gives the cat history.
Sure this cat may look nice. But I like to listen and know just how it is performing.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

The fancy electrical sound and video equipment is just nothing but (foofoo sh!t) and really not useful or needed in a working snow cat. I guess it makes it more attractive to those that think that kind of crap is what makes the ride worthwhile. They just need to cruise down the highway in their BMW and forget about a snow cat. When I am in a snow cat, I want to hear the cat operate and see what is outside when snow catting and not listen to crap. I can hear or see that fancy sh!t home if I want too.

Ok either give me rep points :thumb: or rip me up :shitHitFan: that is the way I see it...Bill

To the noise point: They're all noisy. I would want to know there was SIGNIFICANT effort made to deaded the noise before even thinking any benefit could be had from the video/audio crap.

In terms of the video/audio crap... it's just that. It's a salesy marketing thing to sell to fru-fru lovers...Beamer owners, etc... I wish he'd leave that crap out. On the last one he sold ... it was nearly all cosmetic work. I'd want a complete mechanical overhaul as #1 !!!! THEN after all the master/slave cylinders, the planetaries, exhaust, etc... had all been replaced (just to be sure and to say it was truly restored), *THEN* the other stuff can happen as necessary... paint, fit/finish, etc...

But if you look at it from the Black Cat Diamond perspective they probably have come to realize that the phat cash doesn't come from guys like us but rather from fru-fru guys that hardly will ever even drive it! $15-20K from one of us or $30K-45K from a fru-fru? Did I point at the stereo again sir? And the video unit? How about that stereo once again sir? You did notice the high-end paint that would be a biatch to match once it scratches right?

With all that being said, I think it looks like a very nice interior/exterior cosmetic facelift. Usually what those guys seem to do is run it and listen and do some checking and see if things need a rework/replacement and then if it does maybe they replace it. Dunno. But what'd I'd want for that money is a default replacement of the commonly replaced items and done so well..stainless exhaust, etc...

I plan on keeping most of mine original but there will be one that will be the 'money cat' and that will be done up with connoly hide seating, walnut dash and door trim, etc... absolute creme de la creme spare no expense whiz-bang with satellite internet, GPS transponder, laptop, flat panel, etc... all for when you get to the top of the mountain, enjoy the view and then want to do some business from within your cat for a few hours with breathaking views.

But the rest... will be kept original with #1 mechanical rebuild, #2 interior/exterior. All with a default of automatically replacing parts where logical.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Not to pick it apart but I do see a couple of things that I do not agree with on the restoration of this cat. I can speak with a touch of authority since I do own one almost identical. The exception is mine has real character and this one has had a "cover girl face lift" as Mainer stated. Mechanics is much more important to me when you are out all alone 40 miles from civilization than how pretty my cat looks.

1. They have removed all of the sound deadener and insulation from the roof and side panels and installed thin marine grade carpet. It is going to be noisy and colder than a stock LMC 1200 with the factory sound deadener and insulation in all of the panels.

2. The center roof panel where they have mounted the video screen shakes and rattles more than anywhere else in my 1200 LMC. I am not sure why and never really cared but I hope they did something to change that or the video whatever will be someones hat soon. The cleats on a 1200 LMC are very aggressive HD and they tend to shake, rattle and make the cat vibrate a lot. For a cat like this they should change the cleats to a less aggressive design to take advantage of the electronics they have installed and stay out of the deep and steep or just sit in their "beemer" and dream about snow catting. :yum:

mradecky

Hey Guy's...
I like all of the comments about the 1200 we have customized and I know what we do isn't for everybody. As you know our first one was the 1961 trackmaster, talk about a loud cat running at top end of 35 mph. The problem with the insulation LMC used is that it was not closed cell and it retains moisture. We like the look of the carpet and the fact that it does not retain moisture, you do however sacrifice sound deadening. As far as mechanicals we went through this machine with a fine tooth comb and we rebuilt everything that needed rebuilding and frankly with just under 500 hours not much was needed. I will not put my name on something that I would'nt trust to take myself and my family 20 miles into the back country and back again! Our target market for our cats are guy's who "have all the toys" including a large mountain home, entertain..alot and want to take their buds out for a tour after a gourmet meal. That being said I have full confidence in this machine to get you out in the back country and back, it is a real gem! We try real hard to keep these units as stock as possible, improving on them but not making any grotesque alterations...but we do enjoy adding a little "BLING"!
Marc:beer:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

MTNTOPPER, why dont you tell us how you REALLY feel! :yum: :argueing: I happen to agree. Just more shit to short out. Imagine how it will look in 10 years! With the electrical system I wonder how that will hold up?

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Guy's...
I like all of the comments about the 1200 we have customized and I know what we do isn't for everybody. As you know our first one was the 1961 trackmaster, talk about a loud cat running at top end of 35 mph. The problem with the insulation LMC used is that it was not closed cell and it retains moisture. We like the look of the carpet and the fact that it does not retain moisture, you do however sacrifice sound deadening. As far as mechanicals we went through this machine with a fine tooth comb and we rebuilt everything that needed rebuilding and frankly with just under 500 hours not much was needed. I will not put my name on something that I would'nt trust to take myself and my family 20 miles into the back country and back again! Our target market for our cats are guy's who "have all the toys" including a large mountain home, entertain..alot and want to take their buds out for a tour after a gourmet meal. That being said I have full confidence in this machine to get you out in the back country and back, it is a real gem! We try real hard to keep these units as stock as possible, improving on them but not making any grotesque alterations...but we do enjoy adding a little "BLING"!
Marc:beer:

I am glad to hear you went through the mechanicals! I do know and understand your target market! You probably have a home run there. She does look very nice. Please forgive some of us who just use our cats for work and a bit of play. We usually only go where you hear snowshoers/snowboarders/skiers or snowmobilers disappear in. We are critical of snowcats that are pimped out because we feel they wont last and break down at the absolute worst moment. I can tell you of two Verizon techs that wont go out in a snowcat again unless it checks out 100%. -60 below and stranded without so much as a sleeping bag or blanket will change your mind of whats reliable. You have done some VERY nice work. The guys that buy these thing usually are 5 miles from there cabin from where they unloaded. I really hope she sells! I do love the color and the cool rear bed rails!

mkntrakes

Hey

Been working on snow cats for a while now and if you are targeting the clients you state that you are those people are used to driving quiet cars . It would seem to me that you should spend more time insulating the inside of the cab for noise as well as heat retention and putting more toys that would be useful in the cat gps, sat phone, fire extigushers, hearing protection, shovel, first aid kit, survial kit, i feel that people with money are used to calling AAA to come get there car when it breaks down and not having to worry about surviving a night in the cold. This is just my opinion of course but i hope that you take these ideas into consideration. There is a company called bqueit that make all kinds of noise reduction products

mkntrakes

Oh another thing that DVD player may be real useful if you put a survival DVD in it if it works after the cat is driven

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
May I also recommend a seperate battery backup for that DVD player with the survival DVD disk in it? In case all the extra wiring shorts out the main electrical system and the buyer needs to 'cram' for the real-world survival course. ;)
All prodding aside, I think it is a pretty kitty.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Actually... given the DVD and target market for the pretty kitty ... which is obviously a valid market that has a healthy dose of discretionary income ... I think a buyer would really enjoy a Nespresso capuccino maker as well... center console just behind the engine compartment so that the rear passengers can help themselves... on a swivel base so the front seat folks can also get a cup. I may put that into my 'money cat'.

mradecky

:shitHitFan: O.K. guys I don't mind taking a little criticizm but some of you are making statements about Black Diamond Cutom Cats that are simply untrue and I need to set straight.
And I guess the crappiest thing about it is I am just a guy like you with a passion for snow cats and creativity to make them special. I have enjoyed the forum and most of you have been quite helpfull and supportive in the past...what gives? As an example "Mainer" states: "On the last one he sold (1961 Thiokol Trackmaster)... it was nearly all cosmetic work". Yes I feel we do top end cosmetic work but let me tell you what else we did: Compression tested engine, rebuilt carb. full service to motor and trans. including all new belts etc. We pulled and completely rebuilt the power distributor replacing 24 clutch disks, bearings, and spending hours adjusting to near perfection, a huge expense! And that just scatches the surface. I have top rate craftsmen mechanical, electrical, and body guy's work on these snow cats. You may not approve of what I do but please do not make false statements and assumptions about the quality of our work!:thumb:
Marc-Black Diamond Custom Cats

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Marc, I know quite a bit about your 1961 TM rebuild from people involved first hand...it's a small community. I left the initial statement ambiguious but suffice it to say that I don't make untrue statements. I still have an appreciation for what you guys are doing and don't want to throw more out on this forum. Best of luck.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Marc, I started this discussion and may I take a moment to explain my reasoning. In the past many snow cats being resold have been cosmetically restored with little thought to mechanicals. This has made many of the users such as myself skeptics when we see a fancy cat. I am not downgrading yours but past history is tough to forget. I have owned many snow cats over the years and the cosmetics are not important to me. My preference is to have great mechanicals first and foremost. New buyers can and have been misled with fancy paint and other equipment that does not mean beans when the :shitHitFan: .

For your benefit and support of us hardcore snow cat people, you should totally detail out a cat rebuild on the forum as BigAl and Weatherby are doing. Total craftsmanship may be your mark but unless we can see it, we are skeptics. That is just human nature.

Now it you want to send that beauty out to me to test, I am sure to give you the honest great appraisal from my prospective that will help you to sell it. Of course, it will probably have additional beauty marks and real character when I am done. Out here in the real world of work cats we call it character when a cat has gained a few dings, scratches and other wear related identifiers while being used. But, the mechanicals had better be top notch, needing nothing or we will just beat it into the ground....:thumb: :yum:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I think you have done a beautiful job on it. I am also glad you stated it wasnt just cosmetic! Nice Job Marc! BUT what would really be cool is a thread dedicated to one of your restores. Now that would also be a HUGE selling point as well!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Agree... that would be HUGE! Look at Snowcat Ops various threads where he details every bit of the restore...practically down to the bathroom break. ;) Everyone sees exactly the type of detail that went into the restore. Look at Weatherby's thread as well... he's creating the museum standard 601! I think before people trust their lives with one of these things (or give 'expert' status to a person/company), they want to see the work as it's done...at least once.

mradecky

:thumb: Points well taken I will detail our next build out. Until then just a few more comments on our level of mechanical detail. On the 1961 trackmaster above and beyond the power divider repairs we also...recored the radiator replaced all hoses, replaced all tires, re-urethaned the sprockets, welded any broken or worn grousers, rewired entire cat from the instrument panel out including soldering all connections and shrink wrapping all connections. replaced all window gaskets and windows, replaced both cabin heaters, etc. This same lever of detail was applied to the 1200C.
Regarding a GPS unit I would like to install a hard mount unit (as apposed to handheld-or would you recommend a handheld) does anyone know what brand GPS has the best topo maps for off highway use?:tiphat:
Marc

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only went to $20,300 on E-Bay but that doesn't mean a buyer didn't see it. Either way this is a very nice looking, low hour, late model LMC 1200. At auction, an ex-utillity company machine of this type and hours would likely bring 25 grand or so including all the character marks, faded paint and ripped seats.