• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

AP IMPACT: US drug war has met none of its goals

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
I know, it's shocking. I was really hoping that "Just Say No" was going to catch on... :doh:

AP IMPACT: US drug war has met none of its goals

By MARTHA MENDOZA, Associated Press Writer Martha Mendoza, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 27 mins ago

MEXICO CITY – After 40 years, the United States' war on drugs has cost $1 trillion and hundreds of thousands of lives, and for what? Drug use is rampant and violence even more brutal and widespread.
Even U.S. drug czar Gil Kerlikowske concedes the strategy hasn't worked.
"In the grand scheme, it has not been successful," Kerlikowske told The Associated Press. "Forty years later, the concern about drugs and drug problems is, if anything, magnified, intensified."
This week President Obama promised to "reduce drug use and the great damage it causes" with a new national policy that he said treats drug use more as a public health issue and focuses on prevention and treatment.
Nevertheless, his administration has increased spending on interdiction and law enforcement to record levels both in dollars and in percentage terms; this year, they account for $10 billion of his $15.5 billion drug-control budget.
Kerlikowske, who coordinates all federal anti-drug policies, says it will take time for the spending to match the rhetoric.
"Nothing happens overnight," he said. "We've never worked the drug problem holistically. We'll arrest the drug dealer, but we leave the addiction."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100513/ap_on_re_us/failed_drug_war

loboloco

Only answer to the so called 'drug war' is limited legalization for some of the drugs and truly draconian penalties for the ones too dangerous to legalize.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know, it's shocking. I was really hoping that "Just Say No" was going to catch on... :doh:

I did not realize the drug 'war' was based on "JUST SAY NO" but rather was based on sealing our borders (something that NO administration seems willing to do).

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Only answer to the so called 'drug war' is limited legalization for some of the drugs and truly draconian penalties for the ones too dangerous to legalize.

What are the most dangerous? Several European countries have decriminalized most illicit drugs, with good results.

mak2

The war on drugs was decleared to take away our rights. Looks to me like we should have learned something. Now it is the war on Illegals. Maybe we can lose a few more.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
The war on drugs was decleared to take away our rights. Looks to me like we should have learned something. Now it is the war on Illegals. Maybe we can lose a few more.

Not to mention the War on Terror, another perpetual war.

Anyway, was Nixon's hatred of hippies really worth $1 Trillion? I don't really think so...

mak2

Not to mention the War on Terror, another perpetual war.

Anyway, was Nixon's hatred of hippies really worth $1 Trillion? I don't really think so...

Absolutely silly, but the Right Wing is still just sayin no.:w00t2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

I suppose it depends on "what" drugs. I admitted in another thread that I'm a weenie and can't smoke anything, but I don't really see how liquor can be legal and pot illegal based on an outside observation. I'd rather not see some drugs that get people wound up and wild, not knowing what they are doing, be legalized though.

loboloco

Too dangerous? Would be willing to leave that to others more conversant than I, but would rank PCP, crank, Ice, and some of the other really damaging drugs as too dangerous.

loboloco

Marijuana regulation began in 1905, hemp regulation in1925. Didn't realize Nixon was in office that long.:whistling:

loboloco

Please define "good results" for us.

Do you mean increases in drug use?
Decrease in property crimes related to drug use. Fewer people in prison. Actually a slight decline in drug use. Government able to track and assist those who are chronic abusers, that kind of thing.
Works better than our system.

loboloco

I suppose it depends on "what" drugs. I admitted in another thread that I'm a weenie and can't smoke anything, but I don't really see how liquor can be legal and pot illegal based on an outside observation. I'd rather not see some drugs that get people wound up and wild, not knowing what they are doing, be legalized though.
Yep, would much rather share the road with some dude been toking a joint than some lunatic been sucking down a bottle. Course, would rather either one stay home and do it in safety.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Yea Rob let's not stand for anything. Anarchy, anything goes!

Drugs were not always illegal. They were made illegal because they were seen as immoral. I don't need a bunch of puritans legislating my morality.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Absolutely silly, but the Right Wing is still just sayin no.:w00t2:
Uhhhh....you and Rob keep blaming Bush and the right wing people for stopping things from getting done. You seem to forget that YOUR thieves are in power, in the majority, and are doing nothing other than increasing taxes and the debt for our kids and grandkids. meanwhile Barry keeps blowing smoke out his ass telling the country at his town hall debacles that he's creating jobs and getting the job done. WTF is he and the dem majority doing to curb drug use other than talking about it? I'll save you the trouble of answering...absolutely fucking nothing, that's what. If it doesn't increase taxes or the debt, nothing else gets done. All you two do is bitch and blame...nothing of any consequence is getting done, just like your selected politicians.

SShepherd

honestly....do you go back and read what you type?

I have a feeling that the liberals will soon change their designation from "illegal aliens" to "non resident citizens from another country"

more PC bullshittery from the feel good crowd.

Oh, lets legalize drugs....Oh, lets let anyone jump our border and give them the benifits of people who went through the legal naturaliation process
Oh, lets not call them terrorists.......

BUt....if you make toooooo much money, thats Baaaaaad

GUns are Baaaad

if you believe in God you're delusional and thats Baaaaad

Does anyone have the balls to admit whats happening to this country?

I guess the bigger question..............does anone really care:sad:

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Uhhhh....you and Rob keep blaming Bush and the right wing people for stopping things from getting done. You seem to forget that YOUR thieves are in power, in the majority, and are doing nothing other than increasing taxes and the debt for our kids and grandkids. meanwhile Barry keeps blowing smoke out his ass telling the country at his town hall debacles that he's creating jobs and getting the job done. WTF is he and the dem majority doing to curb drug use other than talking about it? I'll save you the trouble of answering...absolutely fucking nothing, that's what. If it doesn't increase taxes or the debt, nothing else gets done. All you two do is bitch and blame...nothing of any consequence is getting done, just like your selected politicians.

I feel better now. No thread is complete without a totally unrelated diatribe from JEV. :biggrin:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Geez, Shep. You kinda went on a rant there. Other than drug legalization, I don't think mak2 has espoused any of those things you mentioned.

Heck, I'm a republican and believe pot should be legalized. It's natural, less addictive than nicotine, alcohol, anxiolytics, narcotic pain meds and other prescribed meds, AND the tax revenues and jobs created would be through the roof!

Can't say I'm a fan of the mary jane, though. Must've been because I didn't inhale .....:w00t2:

SShepherd

Geez, Shep. You kinda went on a rant there. Other than drug legalization, I don't think mak2 has espoused any of those things you mentioned.

Heck, I'm a republican and believe pot should be legalized. It's natural, less addictive than nicotine, alcohol, anxiolytics, narcotic pain meds and other prescribed meds, AND the tax revenues and jobs created would be through the roof!

Can't say I'm a fan of the mary jane, though. Must've been because I didn't inhale .....:w00t2:
yer right, I did rant a bit........but it's all connected to PC bullshittery

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Decrease in property crimes related to drug use. Fewer people in prison. Actually a slight decline in drug use. Government able to track and assist those who are chronic abusers, that kind of thing.
Works better than our system.

Interesting, if you look at Amsterdam you find quite the opposite of what you claim.

health officials estimate that Amsterdam has 7,000 addicts, 20% of whom are foreigners. These addicts are responsible for 80% of all property crime in the city, thus necessitating that Amsterdam maintain a police presence far greater than those of cities of comparable size in the United States.

Drug violators account for 50 percent of the Dutch prison population, a higher proportion than in the United States. The Netherlands is the most crime-prone nation in Europe and most drug addicts live on state welfare payments and by committing crimes. Nationwide, the number of reported crimes increased to 1.3 million in 1992 from. 812,000 in 1981.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/debate/myths/myths4.htm

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Crap, more facts to get in the way.

Yup.

I'm not one that will make strong arguments against legalizing marijuana, and have frequently said if it is legalized it should be taxed, regulated and controlled like alcohol and tobacco. But I don't really advocate it. I'm willing to accept it as legal, but only if people open their eyes to the problems associated with legalization. And there are plenty of problems in the nations that have embraced decriminalization of drugs and those problems are drug related. SO, if we legalize it, we better increase the police forces, increase drug prevention education, etc.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup.

I'm not one that will make strong arguments against legalizing marijuana, and have frequently said if it is legalized it should be taxed, regulated and controlled like alcohol and tobacco. But I don't really advocate it. I'm willing to accept it as legal, but only if people open their eyes to the problems associated with legalization. And there are plenty of problems in the nations that have embraced decriminalization of drugs and those problems are drug related. SO, if we legalize it, we better increase the police forces, increase drug prevention education, etc.

Hey, is weed more or less harsh than that Montecristo (sp?) cigar that made me puke my guts out? And, honestly, I didn't inhale that cigar and it still made me ill. Yeah, I know, lightweight...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, is weed more or less harsh than that Montecristo (sp?) cigar that made me puke my guts out? And, honestly, I didn't inhale that cigar and it still made me ill. Yeah, I know, lightweight...

I honestly don't know. Never smoked marijuana in my life. BTW, you don't EVER inhale cigar smoke. If you did you'd have been gagging right there on the spot. Even people who smoke unfiltered cigarettes cannot inhale cigar smoke without coughing.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I honestly don't know. Never smoked marijuana in my life. BTW, you don't EVER inhale cigar smoke. If you did you'd have been gagging right there on the spot. Even people who smoke unfiltered cigarettes cannot inhale cigar smoke without coughing.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you toked. Just a wondering out loud sort of question. I seriously doubt I could handle it either. One guy I know, owns an HVAC business, has stayed high for the last 40 years or so. The stuff he smokes apparently is extremely strong and smells like shit.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, would much rather share the road with some dude been toking a joint than some lunatic been sucking down a bottle. Course, would rather either one stay home and do it in safety.

Agreed Lobo . You damn sure wouldn,t have to worry about them running over anyone else , They,ll be in the slow lane going 5 MPH :yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

I inhail my ceegars , if I didn,t I wouldn,t even see the need for smoking :unsure: . Granted I dont smoke them big fat fancy ceegars , but I smoke probablly 20 a day . Which is far better for me then the 6 pack a day cigarette habit I use to have , :w00t2:

But I also drink 20 -25 beers or so a day & very rarelly get a buzz , I dont drink or smoke for effect , Just enjoyment . Give Me Cheap 3.2 light beer & 20 cent ceegars & I,m a happy camper :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup.

Are these problems for nations who have legalized marijuana only? I'm also for legalization. I do think it could help out with the huge deficits and not hurt national productivity. I might be naive and not understanding the power of the current day crop.

Would additional police be needed? Currently they are watching for those using illegal drugs, if marijuana was made legal they would still be watching for those using all the other illegal drugs. Seems the same amount of police could do the job. But as the OP said, the war on drugs is a joke. For every big dealer they catch someone else will pop up to take care of the demand and nothing really changes. Legalizing marijuana could help with the current deficit (via taxing it's sale) but would not put the folks fighting the war on drugs out of work. There are so many other stronger / destructive drugs out there that keep the law enforcement community busy.