• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Has anyone ordered a pontiac GTO

daedong

I was in the big smoke yesterday and as i drove past GMH assembly plant a semitrailer was exiting loaded with LH drive Pontiac GTO's. I guess they're heading your way. I did not know we manufacured them for the USA market.I noticed they are 6 litre wow what a thumper, don't see many that size if any at all here. Is there many in the US.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, I've not even seen one of the new GTOs in person or on the road so I'm guessing they are not very popular. When I saw the photos, they looked to be of a very dated design, the rear end design was stolen from a 10 year old Volvo C70 Coupe. The auto magazines like the power of the GTO's engine, and many here in the US enjoy a big engine, but I suspect the GTO will be another of GMs long string of failures here in the US. Its obviously not a design that is cutting edge, but then very few of GMs designs outside of their Cadillac division are cutting edge, heck most of GMs designs can't hold and edge sharp enough to cut soft butter. Its a shame, they used to have some excellent cars. They still make a pretty good truck, especially their medium duty fleet designs (20,000 to 36,000# GVW trucks).

Our domestic auto industry is a total mess now. Both GM and Ford are reported near bankruptcy.

Below are photos of the GM/Holden GTO and the Volvo C70 Coupe (which is about a 12 to 15 year old design and is no longer sold, having been discontinued a couple years ago)

Attachments

• sm_image3_lrg.jpg
    sm_image3_lrg.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 91
  • c70coupe.jpg
    c70coupe.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 99

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The GTO was introduced here 2 years ago and I've seen a few at dealerships.
The power plant is said to be awesome of which I have no doubt they are BUT it came wrapped in a exterior design that hasn't quite wetted the american appetite. Come on what's special about this...................

Attachments

• sm_image4_lrg.jpg
    sm_image4_lrg.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 93

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog, I agree. Why would you buy a plain vanilla GTO when for the same money you could buy a Ford Mustang, which offers great performance and great looks? And any number of Jap&Euro-Import models will out handle the GTO even if they lack some of the straight line performance.

I still don't see much difference between the design of an early 90's Volvo (dropped because of low sales) and a 2005/6 Pontiac GTO. That is a sad commentary on the design.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Long time ago I had a 72 'cuda, with a 440 six pack. Hindsight is perfect science. Another bonehead mistake I made at a young age was selling it for what I thought was alot of money at the time (although my one buddy still doesn't want to think about his mint Roadrunner he sold).

I got really excited when I heard that the GTO was "coming back". I finally got to see one on a sunday in our chuch parking lot last year. First emotion was dissapointment (sp?). Thought they had taken a great idea and ruined (sp?) it by it's looks (only my opinion). Heck, anyone can build a car that goes fast, that's not the only reason why I would look at a "retro" car "name" from the past.

Then a couple of months ago while looking at a Dodge truck at a dealer, I finally put "two and two" together and realized that "funky" looking Dodge "sedan type"car that I've seen around on the roads was a Challanger (sp?), got disappointed again (I heard Dodge was coming out with that model again and was excited at the time to see it).

This may be a dumb idea, but why, if a car manufacturer is going to come out with a "remake" of a classic mussle (sp?) car, why don't they take the design to the "collectors" of such cars and get their opinions on the design? (maybe they do, but I just can't see it).

I may be in the minority, but if they could make the car (vintage "mussle") almost, if not identical to the one in the past (with maybe a few updates for the present time), I would be really interested in actually buying one.

Know nothing about the car manufacturing/marketing business, so my thoughts might be a pipe dream.

Like Bob, I do think Ford hit a home run so to speak with the design of the new Mustang, and I love the "retro" look of it's dash board.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
No need to order a new one........We haven't worn out the first one yet ! I suppose I could sell it & buy a new mustang GT conv..... Tho.........My kids like convertibles !!

Attachments

• Pet Goat.jpg
    Pet Goat.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 87

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The new GTO's are not doing so well as far as sales from what I am told. I have only seen one so far in the two years they have been out. It was on my dealer's lot and it sat for almost a year.

But it did bring back memories. I had a 69, 400 full time 4 barrel. Hurst automatic shifter on the floor, and what made it unique was the fact it had factory air conditioning in it, (didn't work pump was gone) and had hide a way headlights. I was told there was only so many of them made. If I had it today it may be worth a few bucks.

Light car, I took it up to 130 one time and it was pretty much floating.:whistle:

murph