• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cell phone/tablet use

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Question.....how old should a child be before they get a cell phone or tablet?

The reason I ask is that I regularly see 8 or 9 year olds and sometimes younger who have both a cellphone and a tablet and have their noses glued to the thing.

In our house, we made a rule that no kid would have either before the age 13. That backfired and our hand was basically forced when one of our foster kids came home at age 11 with a tablet she got from her aunt and uncle. The ole "can't buy me love" thing. And if we said no, the agency would be down our necks.

For cell phone use, we made the rule that if you want a cellphone, you get your butt out there and work for it. Whether that be mowing lawns. Cutting grass. Getting a job pumping gas part time etc. None of that "spare the rod spoil the child" stuff in our house. That goes for internet use too. I saw firsthand what happens when an 11 year old gets unrestricted access to the internet when one of the kids I worked with was allowed internet access and next thing I knew, she was posting nude videos of herself on Facebook at age 10.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At our house, it was age 13. My kids don't stick their face in their devices and don't do social media.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My son didn't allow my oldest granddaughter to have a phone until she was 14.
He monitored her time on it.
Then she wanted her own laptop.
That got a firm no!
At 16 she has her phone for free access now because she works to pay for her own data.
She's got my laptop for home school work only.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It doesn't really matter as long as the parent makes the effort to monitor the device. There are lots of tools for restricting the time kids can use their phones and even what apps they can use and how long they can use those apps.

The real problem is parents that give their kids phones with full unrestricted access to the internet.

Blaming the "phone" is like blaming the "gun". You are just offloading the responsibility to an inanimate object.

Being a good parent takes effort and it isn't always easy.