• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Activ ST4 retrieval ROAD TRIP!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Activ ST4 retrieval ROAD TRIP!

Sunday 7/19/2015 Steve and I took off at 5:15 am from Anchorage Alaska to Homer Alaska and pick up my new to me ST4. What follows is a true tale of that story.

Attachments

• IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_7.jpg
    IMG_7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_9.jpg
    IMG_9.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_10.jpg
    IMG_10.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
5 hrs and 33 minutes later we pull into Homer, Alaska.

On a side note:
Alaska is by far the most beautiful State in the union. I have been pretty much every 40 square miles across the lower 48 States and been to Hawaii a few times. While Hawaii and many States are beautiful Alaska is like one great big National Park. If you haven't been here I suggest you put this at the top of your Bucket List. While your at it visit us at ATA and we will "try" and get you out in a snowcat when your here.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 605

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now the real work begins. Steve was like an electrical winch. Except he never over heated. He just kept cranking away. Took us (or Steve I should say) about 30 minutes to get the old girl loaded on the trailer and strapped down. In pictures 3 and 4 you can see the tire wanted to walk out of the track. She's been used hard all her life. She will receive a new set of shoes and bearings. May need to cut that rear assembly off and install a new bronze bushing as well. Helps to have a machinist at the club with all the right machine to fabricate a new bushing.

Attachments

• IMG_10.jpg
    IMG_10.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_9.jpg
    IMG_9.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_7.jpg
    IMG_7.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The ride back.

The ride back was uneventful and the trailer towed true. She is now home and awaiting this weekends tear down. It was a 16 hour long Road Trip. Coming back we ran into traffic and that slowed us up. None the less she made it home in one piece. A big Thank you to Steve for helping me get her home. Without his help she would still be there waiting for my rear hitch for my Campulance to be built to tow the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_7.jpg
    IMG_7.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 596

Sno-Surfer

Great find! That looks pretty solid. The winch looks interesting too.

Caspian winch. I will keep it but not on the Snow Trac.

Last edited by a moderator:

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
She did take off the flower pots before we got there!
What's this with flower pots and ST4?......:shifty:

She will be running the place as a b@b next year if somebody looking to stay in homer next year it has a grand view

we were still on the dirt road by her house and the neighbor stopped us and asked about it! Snow trac makes friends!

my St4 was lonely and now its got a friend........

And when the katrac shows up we can have a 3 some and a few pi-- off neighbors!:yum:

Attachments

• DSCN6719.JPG
    DSCN6719.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 558
  • Mikes ST4.jpg
    Mikes ST4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Whew, time to mount an electric winch on the front of that trailer! (I'm betting Steve will agree!)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well Steve did purchase a 10,000 Warn winch. Plans are to fabricate a raised mounting point where the spare tire currently sits. We will move the spare to another location. That is a project soon to be done.

Moose Guy

Note to self... I need to start taking more scenery shots of ATA's road trips and outings rather than just a snow cat on a trail. You know, when you're raised here in Alaska and it's all you really know, ya kinda take the mountains, rivers and glaciers for granted huh? :whistling: I'll have to ask Snowcat Operations for a photography course. :unsure:

jask

Congratulations! by the way I think that is the oldest Snow trac so far! and 58015 had the original bobbin wheel configuration. Can you post a few pics of the passenger side variator please?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations! by the way I think that is the oldest Snow trac so far! and 58015 had the original bobbin wheel configuration. Can you post a few pics of the passenger side variator please?

I will take some pictures when I get back after next week.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Note to self... I need to start taking more scenery shots of ATA's road trips and outings rather than just a snow cat on a trail. You know, when you're raised here in Alaska and it's all you really know, ya kinda take the mountains, rivers and glaciers for granted huh? :whistling: I'll have to ask Snowcat Operations for a photography course. :unsure:

Just point and shoot.:hammer:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve!!!!!! the sno trac bug has bit you big time !!! you are getting quite a collection,but i think i got you beat in tonnage !!!!:clap::clap::clap: Great pictures reminds me of what a great time my wife and i had 5 years ago when we visited. if i remember correctly you have enough room in the backyard for another 20 or so snow traveling vehicles.:biggrin::biggrin:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would not say great. I pushed side ways on one of the wheels and it just fell apart. Completely rusted through. There are a few like that on the rig. Good thing I have a ton of new wheels and tires. She will be taken apart when I get back to Alaska. I had an unexpected trip home this week. I will be back Next Monday and tear down will begin.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
So after removing the Caspian which I find out that it came from the factory with it! I will put it on another rig with all the factory hardware.