• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

POLL: What brand snowcat do you own?

What brand snowcat do you own/operate?

• AKTIV Snow Trac, Trac Master, or Snow Master

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • KRISTI KT2, KT3, KT4 or KT7

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • THIOKOL/DMC/LMC (any of the numerous models)

Votes: 187 25.8%
  • BOMBARDIER (J5, Bombi, B12, C18, etc)

Votes: 152 21.0%
  • TUCKER (classic steel track)

Votes: 72 9.9%
  • TUCKER (rubber track or terra track)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • VMC

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Other (please list the brand/model in the thread below)

Votes: 62 8.6%
  • NONE, but I enjoy the Snowcat forums anyway

Votes: 40 5.5%
  • NONE, I visit the ForumsForums but don't frequent the snowcat area.

Votes: 42 5.8%
  • NONE YET, but I am looking for a snowcat.

Votes: 76 10.5%

• Total voters

Schäfer

On the ST4B the ST51 is broken. Half of the pipe is missing. Seems to be totally unable to find a new one, or even a used one... :shock: But the machine was cheap!

Attachments

• 1991478910.jpg
    1991478910.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 716
  • ABCD0001.JPG
    ABCD0001.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 724
  • ABCD0016.JPG
    ABCD0016.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 722

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
MASI95, welcome to the Forums. I'm not familiar with the KATRAK brand. Any photos?

What are the primary uses of your cats?

What part of the world are you in?

MASI95

I HAVE HAD NO LUCK FINDING ANYTHING ON THIS CAT. THE PB170D IS USED FOR SNOW MANAGEMENT AROUND MY CABIN. I PURCHASED THE KATRAK FOR CABIN ACCESS. RUNS GREAT BUT THE LAST OWNER TRIED FORCING MOVEMENT WHEN THE TRACKS WERE FROZEN TO THE GROUND, FRYING 2 BELTS. HE GOT MAD AND SOLD IT TO ME FOR $250. I HAVE THE NEW BELTS ($90.00) SHOULD HAVE IT RUNNING BY MONDAY. I WOULD LIKE TO GO THOROUGH THE WHOLE THING THIS SUMMER.

Attachments

• P1090001.jpg
    P1090001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 654
  • P1090004.jpg
    P1090004.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 662
  • P1090003.jpg
    P1090003.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 645

bkvail

I HAVE HAD NO LUCK FINDING ANYTHING ON THIS CAT. THE PB170D IS USED FOR SNOW MANAGEMENT AROUND MY CABIN. I PURCHASED THE KATRAK FOR CABIN ACCESS. RUNS GREAT BUT THE LAST OWNER TRIED FORCING MOVEMENT WHEN THE TRACKS WERE FROZEN TO THE GROUND, FRYING 2 BELTS. HE GOT MAD AND SOLD IT TO ME FOR $250. I HAVE THE NEW BELTS ($90.00) SHOULD HAVE IT RUNNING BY MONDAY. I WOULD LIKE TO GO THOROUGH THE WHOLE THING THIS SUMMER.

what an awesome little cat! What great fun that would be! You got a STEAL I think! What does it have for a motor? Sounds like maybe all belt driven like a lawn tractor?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
what an awesome little cat! What great fun that would be! You got a STEAL I think! What does it have for a motor? Sounds like maybe all belt driven like a lawn tractor?

Agreed!!!

I see the manufacturer's plate says the engine is a Triumph. Is that a motorcycle engine?

I would love to see a whole thread of photos on this little cat. It would be an interesting thread, especially if the photos are sequenced so as to document the restorations and repairs that are done to this thing. Awesome little cat!

MASI95

IT HAS A LITTLE TRIUMPH INLINE 4CYL WITH A CAR/TRUCK TYPE BELL HOUSING. A LITTLE SMALLER THAT A TOYOTA 22R MOTOR. VIN PLATE CLAIMS 51HP. 2 SMALL V-BELTS (FAN TYPE) BELT GO FROM PULLIES ON THE FLYWHEEL DOWN TO THE 4SPD MANUAL TRANS. ON THE OUTPUT SIDE OF THE TRANS ARE TWO MORE SMALL V-BELTS THAT TURN TWO SNOWMOBILE TYPE BELTS RUNNING IN WHAT LOOKS LIKE TWO SNOWMOBILE SECONDARY SHEEVES. THE SHEEVES ARE MOVED IN AND OUT BY THE TWIN STICKS. ON THE FIXED SHEEVE SIDE ARE ALSO FOUR CHAIN COGS. THESE CHAINS GO TO THE DRIVERS TURING THE TRACKS. THERE IS A CLUTH ON THE LEFT, BRAKE ON THE RIGHT, AND THE TROTTLE IS A MOTORCYCLE TYPE TWIST THROTTLE ATTACHED TO ONE OF THE TWIN STICK. i JUST PICKED THIS THING UP LAST SUNDAY AND ONLY HAD TIME TO LOOK AT THINGS. THIS WEEKEND I PLAN ON REPLACING THE TWO BROKEN BELT IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT. IT LOOKS AS THOUGH YOU DICONNECT THE BELTS AND CHAINS, REMOVE 8 NUTS AND PULL IT OUT AS A COMPLETE UNIT.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's a cool little cat you've got there. Kinda remeinds me of those little gas cars the rail lines use for meaintenance/inspection of the tracks.

pezman

Hi! ST4B unknown serial # Probably a '68 (little wheels, second one is brass or bronze) in the process of doing a complete tear down and rebuild. LOVE IT!!! neat machine, I bought it from bogie last year. It was the white and black 2 man cab he used to have on his home page. Missing alot of the front end sheet metal. Any one able to supply some patterns? (Hood, grill, bottom sheet metal under the engine) will work on this when I can. I'm taking lots of pictures along the way, but I'm not sure how to get them from my computer file to this site. Love this site! It's got so much info!

bkvail

Hi! ST4B unknown serial # Probably a '68 (little wheels, second one is brass or bronze) in the process of doing a complete tear down and rebuild. LOVE IT!!! neat machine, I bought it from bogie last year. It was the white and black 2 man cab he used to have on his home page. Missing alot of the front end sheet metal. Any one able to supply some patterns? (Hood, grill, bottom sheet metal under the engine) will work on this when I can. I'm taking lots of pictures along the way, but I'm not sure how to get them from my computer file to this site. Love this site! It's got so much info!

you should upload your pics onto a picture hosting site. I upload mine to my website so I can post, but a lot of others use places like photobucket to upload their pics so they can share.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My collection consisted of: (11) ST4's (Snow Trac), (2) Trac Masters, (2) Tucker 443's, a 63, and a 58, a Tucker Kitten, a Bombi with a 5 man cab, a J5, a Bombardier Dual Drive Muskeg, and a Kristi KT3. I also had 2 other track 'rigs'. A Hawk Missle Loader and a John Deere Lindeman. I've operated some additional cats and ridden in most all models, Nodwell's, Rolligon, Bombardiere B12 Snow Coach, and Thiokol.
usa2.jpg

usa.jpg

hawk.jpg

john_deere_crawler.jpg

rr2025hooper.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I left out, a Snow Master. The Hawk missle laoder in the above picture isn't mine, mine had the loading mast removed. Likewise the Rolls Royce pictured is not my actual car, mine was a vertually identical 1930 model 2025, in a dark maroon.
Of all the snow cat's I have owned or operated or ridden passenger in, the "FBI-Rig" currently owned by another member of the FF, preformed and rode the nicest. The newer Belted Tuckers were "Runner-up" for first place.

bill w

1980 tucker 1644. 360 dodge with allison we use it for hauling supplies to our gold claims by chicken alaska. we also have taken it to the arctic man races at summit lake..we have lots of pics will try to post some

moosebgy

Newbie here, I currently own a 1945 Studebaker M29C weasel. Looking to get a snowcat shortly so I have something to play in the little bit of snow we get in Valdez.

Attachments

• MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 704

wrenchhead

I groom snowmobile trails with a 1963 thiokol imp mod 1402 ser#88. put a toyota 22r motor out of celica 5 years ago with hydrolics for 6x12 drag with ram steer

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey-I have a 1402 with a GM Duke 4 banger with the transmission in line with the existing 1402 tranny. Gives me 9 speeds forwards. Goes like crazy!:w00t2:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Newbie here, I currently own a 1945 Studebaker M29C weasel. Looking to get a snowcat shortly so I have something to play in the little bit of snow we get in Valdez.

Wow, you have the orignal tracks and boggies on that one. Are they still useable or is the tracks rotted? They tended to throw tracks all the time which is why most have been modified to uses rubber tires and other tracks.

Would make a good machine to upgrade, you interested in selling/trading it off?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
My collection consisted of: (11) ST4's (Snow Trac), (2) Trac Masters, (2) Tucker 443's, a 63, and a 58, a Tucker Kitten, a Bombi with a 5 man cab, a J5, a Bombardier Dual Drive Muskeg, and a Kristi KT3. I also had 2 other track 'rigs'. A Hawk Missle Loader and a John Deere Lindeman. I've operated some additional cats and ridden in most all models, Nodwell's, Rolligon, Bombardiere B12 Snow Coach, and Thiokol.

Cool, a missle loader? What do you do, work for Dr. Strangelove on the side?

bill w

100_0518.jpg

100_0471.jpguploaded my pics to my profile....still haven't got them over here yet..bill w just figured out how to do it....i hope

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice Tucker!

What do you use it for and which model/year is that?

bill w

it's a 1980 model1644. has the 360 with an allison .runs and drives like new.i put new bands on it in 08,just because of the advancements in track rubber.we use it for recreation mostly...but it sometimes gets a workout.we built a catamaran sled with a heated cabin for winter treks.also have a aluminum 18 ft ardco trailer on dc-6 tires, but that needs more time..want to get some track rigs to follow us at the arctic man sno-go races in summit lake.we have had our tucker down there twice....simply amazing country.....miles and miles of virgin snow above treeliine

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
it's a 1980 model1644. has the 360 with an allison .runs and drives like new.i put new bands on it in 08,just because of the advancements in track rubber.we use it for recreation mostly...but it sometimes gets a workout.we built a catamaran sled with a heated cabin for winter treks.also have a aluminum 18 ft ardco trailer on dc-6 tires, but that needs more time..want to get some track rigs to follow us at the arctic man sno-go races in summit lake.we have had our tucker down there twice....simply amazing country.....miles and miles of virgin snow above treeliine

All I have to say is PICTURES :w00t2:

Bartruff

I'm not sure this is a snowcat or that this is the forum I belong in but... today a ordered a Honda Big Red 4X4 with Tatou snow tracks...and boy am I ready to go and play in the spring snow in the Cascades !! I though I should start slow at this and I figured the Honda (2009) and the Tatou would be very dependable and easy to maintain they have 18 month warranties and not cost a ton of money...:unsure:

bill w

the only problem is with oil temp when the little cooler.......my buddy has an 07 honda with the x-gen set of tracks...goes anywhere but will overheat the oil in a hard pull....keep an eye on it or your clutch packs will pay...the tatou tracks are very good......i've used them..but i would suggest an oil temp gauge that fits in the oil fill hole....any probs...get a tucker...lol

Tetonka

1975 GMC Jimmy on 32 in tracks. 350ci, Turbo 350
It was manufactured by: DEMAC INDUSTRIES Vancouver B.C. Canada
They were made originally for work in the oil fields, able to go over most muskeg,swamp,snow etc. Since I bought it I've not seen another but have met many people who have at ski resorts or used them in the oil patch. I've recently found the original U.S. & Cdn. Patent applications/description. I use it at the lodge I operate in the Selkirks Mtns. British Columbia.