• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is this setup home brew or a kit ?

berg

not mine - I just see it once in a while..
I may have posted this a couple years ago but can't recall. Just wondered if this is home brew or some kind of early mega matt tracks like set up.

seems like the steering would be pushed to the limit and it would take some HP to move that baby...

opinions appreciated

Attachments

• Heber 001.jpg
    Heber 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 696

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
factory built in Alaska I believe there is a thread on FF of a set on a grand wagoneer.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
those were the old pipeline pusher tracks i would love to have that set up because those are on a scout one of mu all time favorite riggs and those tracks are now a piece of history

berg

better contact him via the number on the rig...

It has been sitting for 10 years that I know of.

I'm close if you contact owner and need more pics

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks as much as i would love the whole rig shipping would exclude shipping it however it the rubber is in good shape the track podds will also work on my jeep so i would be interested in the track podds again it's history and would be a nice backup for my s-t

dep6113

my buddy had an 1980 scout like that---square headlights with the nissan tubo diesel---bulletproof running gear but the body rusted away......

ben2go

I'll add to this.The sprocket/drive wheels are smaller diameter than the factory tire size, effectively giving the truck a lower gear ratio and more torque.The stock engine would be adaquate,but we all want more power.

sledhaus

These are UNA-Tracks and I think they were manufactured in Colorado. Original inventor was from Dillon, MT. They were tested extensively by the Army in 1973. Someone on this site has an operational set and has posted a video of the rig in action. I had to laugh several years ago during a discussion with the head of sales at Mattracks. He was passionately telling the story of how the founder's son had drawn a picture of a truck with tracks on it and thus the idea was born and they invented the Mattracks. They vigorously fought anything viewed as a patent infringement and swore this idea was theirs. I think they have backed down on that claim since and mostly fight to protect the anti-roll feature of their units. I wonder if this same son came up with their motorized snowboard. Entering the market at an extremely hefty $2800 list price and you can by used ones "ridden once" all day long now for $800. Some things are just better left "un-invented".

berg

Great info on the Una tracks... did a short search and found some more pics

Attachments

• fc8098c9.jpg
    fc8098c9.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 551
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 531
  • Mattrack zuk.JPG
    Mattrack zuk.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 555
  • Trackerzuki.jpg
    Trackerzuki.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 535
  • wmp4150552.jpg
    wmp4150552.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 541
  • wmm715trackedsmall.jpg
    wmm715trackedsmall.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 534

sledhaus

They have a rod basically running to the vehicle frame to keep the track unit from rolling over but still allowing teetering motion. I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable folks on this site when it comes to Mattracks that could explain it better.

berg

Great... let us know the outcome...

btw.. where would one get new tracks... that one down in Utah on the scout ... the tracks are toast

sledhaus

There lies the problem if planning to run them on a regular basis as I doubt there are any tracks left around. But as Don said Camoplast will make about any track you want for a price. Granted four would be cheaper than one and if anyone else needs some you could make a small run of them. I have only a pair of UNA-Tracks from an auction a few years ago that likely came from a utility company. They will be for display only and if I never run across a couple more to make a complete set I'll just have to display them on one side of a vehicle and hide the other from view. I put them on one side of an 87 Bronco one year for a Christmas card photo and no one even noticed. If you get those Don I would study Mattracks' anti-roll tube setup and do something similar as I have read (probably on here) that these will roll over. I will say they are built hell-for-stout and common components mostly.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i'm just looking for a back up for my snow trac and also a better way into camp in te summer those would scoot right accross the tundra pretty good under my cj-5 also add to fording ability