• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Boat motor resto

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I figured since everyone enjoys a good restoration thread ill post one. I have a 1991 Johnson 40hp outboard on a 16ft crestliner open fishing boat with subfloor. Its been a solid boat and has been in the family since 1993. I bought it off dad two years ago when he upgraded to something bigger. He had already replaced the back section of subfloor about 4 years ago. The front section was getting soft so I removed it a few weeks ago and replaced placed the wood and vynel.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what I removed.

5eteryha.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Next thing on the agenda was the boat motor. 23 years of sun baking it wasn't good to it so I decided to remove the engine cover and give it an upgrade.

Here's the before picture.

edady6en.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Then came a fresh coat of white and new decals followed by a good clear coat to protect it all.

8asy5y5e.jpg

yve8ezy7.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I plan on replacing the old plywood bench seats at some point as well as the three swivel seats. Once I replace those, the exterior of the boat will get a new coat of paint as well. to match the new seats.
10312484_10152041986187303_745030958438283843_n.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
When I do paint the exterior, it will just be the upper blue portion to match whatever color boat seats I get. The ones in there now are in not bad shape for being 23 years old. The cushions are worn though and there are a few tears starting.

This is one solid boat. No leaks since its all welded hull. Takes the waves nicely and cruises along nice. We are starting to outgrow it though with our four children so we're debating on a new boat for next summer. I'd ideally like to keep this one for fishing and pick up a pontoon for out at camp. We shall see. Also been considering a 20 ft deck boat with about a 150hp engine on the back. Best of both worlds. Can cruise at speed in comfort. I can fish while everyone else lounges around. We'll see......

10402595_10152035139592303_179397103517787269_n.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good work. Looks like new. :thumb: Pontoon boats are very handy, and you can leave them in the water all season long. A big plus.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc! I've been looking at these seats at replacements for the old worn ones. I would then repaint the dark blue the same color as the dark grey on the seats. Thoughts???

0794420_1

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc! I've been looking at these seats at replacements for the old worn ones. I would then repaint the dark blue the same color as the dark grey on the seats. Thoughts???

If you get new seats, see if the manufacturer makes a color coordinated slip cover that you can put on the seat when the boat is not in use. Usually the slip covers are cheap and will keep the sun off of the vinyl. Down South, the sun really deteriorates vinyl in a hurry.

Bob

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This boats problem is that it spent about half its life tied to a dock unprotected. Now, she sits on a trailer with a full cover when not in use. I had thought of those individual seat covers. Id rather throw the full cover on it and protect the whole unit from the weather.