• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best snowcat?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deep powder, max 8'6" (trailerable), CURRENT production nothing older than 1985, Multi passenger 4+, ease of maintenance, parts avail, Best bang for $$$$$$$$$$.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
First to my mind is a 1200 LMC Deep powder with narrow tracks makes me wonder though??????????? Super imp? Less psi than 1200 but still high. Anyone been in the really STEEP and DEEP powder? What newer production cats are in the .5-.75 psi in trailerable width? Been in a Tucker 2000 in CA at the shootout- lots of new snow but wetter than we get in the rockies not powder. trooper did well there also.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Kristi KT7 , Rebuilt in 2007 so its still in the running . maybe i'll start building them too . Eat my snow.... loser !
Cost is $19.95 ...but wait....if you order now we will throw in a free Puckered Tucker for free .....you just pay shipping and handleing
Operators are standing by !:yum::biggrin:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kristi KT7 , Rebuilt in 2007 so its still in the running . maybe i'll start building them too . Eat my snow.... loser !
Cost is $19.95 ...but wait....if you order now we will throw in a free Puckered Tucker for free .....you just pay shipping and handleing
Operators are standing by !:yum::biggrin:
Sold I will go pick it up now.... I know where it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am closer than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bombthebest

Prinoth Trooper with 30 inch tracks. Tried it with 36 tracks and is availlable with 44's...
Sits 4 in a nice flatnose, confortable cab.
Still in production, saw them at the Prinoth factory in Gramby Quebec.
120 horses 4 cyl, Perkins. Great machine!.

Wert

I don't know if anyone is interested but there are two troopers and two 1743 Tuckers!! In the Edmonton Alberta Ritchies Bros Sale. Sale is a two day starting December 10.:clap:

tomelroy

Pistenbully Scout formerly Lite Foot Snowcat..very nice

UTV international Rt-01 PC formerly VMC

Both current production...I have seen used VMC's under 40K, Scouts and even used Lite Foots are still up there. I havent seen anything under 70k

snowbird

My mistake. I always thought sno cats were for grooming snow, not desert. Another post suggested sharpening the grousers and using them to mow grass. What versatile machines!

tahoerandy

I never understood the attraction to these 601's they are heavy and dont do well in real snow, plus they gobble up the gasoline . But it seems mainer and other cant get enough of these machines. I myself like something comfy that will climb and not bury itself

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the lamtrac fits most of that criteria. Though it is heavy to pull and only has a two person cab. Parts are readily available, very good in deep snow(and apparently water as well), easy to work on, 8' wide. The downside is that they are heavy being a deisel powered hydraulic drive, and the initial price is quite costly along the same lines as other snocats such as the tucker 2000, Prinoth husky, PB Edge, etc....

Wert

I have a tucker 1544 and it fits those requirements aswell. I was wondering what is so wrong with a 601?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I never understood the attraction to these 601's they are heavy and dont do well in real snow, plus they gobble up the gasoline . But it seems mainer and other cant get enough of these machines. I myself like something comfy that will climb and not bury itself

Well, everyone I know that has one loves it. In fact, one guy sold his because he didn't have enough snow and went with a Bombi.

Depends on your conditions of course. Powder is fine up to a certain depth and then past that... no... choose something lighter with lower psi. But for many they do a stellar job and are built very, very well. The drop-center grouser and gear-ratios support high-speed transit on ice and/or pack or even regular snow...not 8 feet of Tahoe powder.

Fuel mileage... not concerned... besides, if I can do 35 vs. 15...

But mileage varies...everyone has different needs ... etc...

But for those of you who do find yourself...bogged down...sinking....burying... go ahead...give the Mainer a PM and let's see if we can't work something out to take that horrible tank-gear off your hands so you can get into something a wee-bit more 'lightweight'. Maybe something a bit more Snow-Prius like?

tahoerandy

:biggrin: He He thats good. I was just stating that the 601 is not a great snow vehicle . I know it is fast and very heavy duty but I personally dont like going that fast in any tracked vehicle. The 601 has very limited visibility minimal suspension and tends to porpus in deep snow. it is also a classic! on flat ground on hard pack it can go fast. I myself do a lot of climbing to 9k+ in 4 to 7 ft of fresh powder and that beast digs itself into a big hole on anything past a 25degree slope. The 1202c is a much more capable skidsteer unit with about 10 times the flotation in snow.The 601 has it's place for a collector its just not a great snow machine:unsure:

bill w

my 1644 tucker climbs like a mountain goat.....almost scary where it will go..rode mountain sleds for years and this thing is very impressive...never had to back up....love the look of the 601's tho...mainer...may have a 601 for you...probably a parts rig,but lots of parts and the price is right...it is sitting outside of delta,in a field where it has been for years....more to follow bill w

bill w

i have to agree,mine will climb higher and faster than i want to climb......i have photos but am still trying to figure out how to post them.....lol...i've never seen anything that climbs like this...bill w

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
my 1644 tucker climbs like a mountain goat.....almost scary where it will go..rode mountain sleds for years and this thing is very impressive...never had to back up....love the look of the 601's tho...mainer...may have a 601 for you...probably a parts rig,but lots of parts and the price is right...it is sitting outside of delta,in a field where it has been for years....more to follow bill w

Thanks for the exchange of info on the 601 machine bill... keep me posted. :smile: Much appreciated. Helps keep 601's alive! :flowers: