• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Central Ohio farmer serves on Trump agriculture committee

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
UNION COUNTY — Central Ohio farmer Fred Yoder was on his tractor Friday afternoon busily grinding up corn stalks in his Union County corn field, while at the same time fielding questions about an important new role he will be playing in the administration of President-elect Donald Trump.

Yoder is a member of Trump’s Agriculture Advisory Committee, a position he was named to in October. The committee will help shape the new administration’s agriculture policies and review candidates for the many agriculture positions that will need to be filled in Washington, D.C., and across the country once Trump takes office, including the Secretary of Agriculture, Yoder said.

“I am very excited about this. Let’s see what happens,” he said.

Yoder called the committee a “who’s who” in the agriculture world, and includes almost 100 members to date. Yoder is chair of the “North American Climate Smart Agriculture Alliance,” a national climate and agriculture group representing all factions of production agriculture.

“Gary Baise, a high-profile agriculture attorney I have worked with, contacted me,” he said. The attorney had heard from other members on the committee suggesting he call Yoder.

“When he called me, I felt very honored, and I told him I would be glad to join.”

He said the committee has had several conference calls before the election, “and I think that is probably what will happen again here soon. … We have a number of things coming up — the Farm Bill, food safety and more, so I look at this committee as his think tank to put a different perspective on the issues instead of inside the beltway. Trump truly is trying to change the way decisions are made,” Yoder said.

Yoder, 62, is a fourth-generation farmer who has lived and farmed near Plain City for more than 40 years. Along with his wife, Debbie, and his two adult children, Josh and Sarah, he grows corn, soybeans and wheat on his 1,800-acre farm. He lives in Union County, but his farmland is split between Union and Madison counties.

He also has operated a retail farm seed business for more than 36 years and sells seed to all kinds of farmers, including those who use biotech varieties, conventional varieties, and also to those who grow organic crops.

What did he think of the presidential election results? Is he a strong Trump supporter?

“To be honest with you, there are some things I don’t necessarily appreciate about him. But the one thing I do appreciate is his attitude of change and new perspective. We were on a direction that was not sustainable. He has a different way of thinking about things. I am excited about it,” Yoder said.

He added that he “had to be convinced” that Trump “wants change and we can count on it. So far I am very impressed by the way he is adamant about changing the way things are done in Washington, D.C., actually working together and getting results.”

Yoder said he has been going to Washington for years, and, “I have to tell you that the last few years has not been fun. It has been gridlock and no one wants to get anything done. Mr. Trump wants to change that and I believe him. The one thing that became obvious to me is that he is not going to micromanage things. He is going to put good people in these positions and turn them loose and say, ‘Do your job.’”

He said over the last few days Trump has been acting presidential, “and I appreciate that.”

In addition to serving on the North American Climate Smart Agriculture Alliance, Yoder has served as president of the National Corn Growers Association, and has served for many years in the Ohio Corn Growers Association in various leadership positions. He served as chairman of the NCGA’s Biotech Working Group, which helped to develop protocols to ensure that new emerging technologies could be used safely on the farm while protecting other existing crop systems.

Fred has traveled many times to the European Union to speak about co-existence of production systems, where both organic and other production systems can thrive side-by-side as neighbors.

He is a charter member of the Board of Directors of “Solutions from the Land,” a nonprofit organization working with the World Bank in organizing the “Global Climate Smart Agriculture Alliance,” enabling developed and developing countries to ramp up global food production and distribution in a sustainable way.

In 2011, Yoder was inducted into the Ohio Agriculture Hall of Fame. He is also a White House “Champions of Change” recipient — traveling to Washington to receive the award from President Barack Obama. He recently chaired the development of a white paper relating climate change adaptation to producing enough food, feed, fiber, and fuel for the world’s growing population.
http://limaohio.com/news/213898/central-ohio-farmer-serves-on-trump-agriculture-committee

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On a somewhat related note, our PA District 10 State Representative incumbent (a Democrat) was voted out. We voted in.... a farmer.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am glad to see a farmer involved. I don't think many people understand or appreciate agriculture, and the challenges we face. The past couple of years have been tough ones, and I don't see it getting better soon either..

Not just in row crops either.. The meat industry at the farm gate is suffering to. All the while the processors and the retailers are recording record profits. Kind of makes you wonder when both the grains and meats are loosing money, at the same time. Rarely do you see this..

Excess supplies any were you care to look in the meats and grains. Abundance we truly have..

With a strong dollar, exporting out way out of burdensome supplies is tough to do. So I don't look for much improvement near term. I have hopes that in 24 months it might be a very different picture, and probably will be. Optimism is required daily to be a farmer... :wink:

Regards, Kirk

Bamby

From what I've read the agriculture industry as a whole has shot themselves in their own pocketbook. The rest of the world doesn't accept the GMO industry and their modified crops. They consider them unsafe for consumption and frankly refuse to buy them. So a lot that tonnage that used to sold and shipped abroad is now fermenting in some storage silo without a market to utilize or consume it.

As far as livestock producers go there may be other factors involved. My thoughts are this, the lack of any real competition. The big packing plants have pretty much done in all the small ones. As such this leave the remaining plants to establish a more or less "take it or leave it attitude" and unfortunately most if not all haft to and sell at the industry established "minimum wage."

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I've read the agriculture industry as a whole has shot themselves in their own pocketbook. The rest of the world doesn't accept the GMO industry and their modified crops. They consider them unsafe for consumption and frankly refuse to buy them. So a lot that tonnage that used to sold and shipped abroad is now fermenting in some storage silo without a market to utilize or consume it.

As far as livestock producers go there may be other factors involved. My thoughts are this, the lack of any real competition. The big packing plants have pretty much done in all the small ones. As such this leave the remaining plants to establish a more or less "take it or leave it attitude" and unfortunately most if not all haft to and sell at the industry established "minimum wage."

The GMO issue is not what it once was, but there is still some lingering resistance. The real issue is over supply... Great crops, 3 in a row in corn and soybeans. And the value of the dollar relative to the other world currency's is an issue as well. Strong dollar=less exports..

Concentration in the packing industry is a real problem, and now a Brazilian firm now owns the largest packer.. So yes that is a problem as well..

The commodity trade is an issue as I see it. The CBOT has doubled the number of contracts allowed by an owner in 2006, and volatility has been the result. Big Banks are trading, and now the market appears to be best suited for speculators, rather than producers or end users..

It amazes me how little people out side of the business lack in understanding the complicated mess we call agriculture. You almost have to live it each day to understand it, and even then you question what you 'think" you know... :unsure:

Regards, Kirk