• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB: Vintage Thiokols Wanted

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Bring outchyer dead... and healthy. :smile:

Always looking for: 601, 602, 603 or 4T10, 4T8, 4T4, 4T2 .... and also Utah University 4VS & 4VL. #1 need is Thiokol 4T8.

Bring yer goods to the future Thiokol museum and do some good for history. :clap: If it doesn't fill a hole in history I'm happy to pass to interested parties. :flowers:

Also interested in parts.

Attachments

• white_alice_1.jpg
    white_alice_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 502

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is a Museum a commercial entity?:hammer: just asking, I have one also in the works and always looking for odd tracked cats all makes and models running or not. not just Thiokol but we really like the 600 series also :brows:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Is a Museum a commercial entity?:hammer: just asking, I have one also in the works and always looking for odd tracked cats all makes and models running or not. not just Thiokol but we really like the 600 series also :brows:

Non-Profit. Not a dime... no, not even a penny of profit.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I will also add that the Thiokol museum has plans to add a 3D laser scanner in 2010. This scanner will be used to capture data points for parts covering both the 4T and 6-series line of vintage cats. It will obviously be a multi-year endeavor. Commercial entities may be more focused on 6-series however the museum is interested in supporting all individuals/collectors wishing to achieve a 'near-Weatherby' or 'concourse' restoration of 4T (the less desireable and less valuable based on difference in steering mechanisms), and 6-series units. By providing parts data to private parties as well as linking private parties with fab companies then we all maintain the historic position that Thiokol units are more than worthy. I think we can use some True Value replacement parts on the Krusties... but eventually it may be ok to do some top priority Krusty 3D laser scans. ;)

So, the intention is to provide a comprehensive digital library of parts. That library will be a full data set for the reproduction of original Thiokol parts. As you may have seen, one forum member was looking for a 6-series handle. Some of our supporters directed the individual to some options so as to provide something to suit the functional need. However, no original replacement parts were available...hence the person may have to compromise historical accuracy based on a lack of data and/or NOS spares. So, in the future that person would come onto the forum and download the digital representation of that handle and look up one of several fab companies and email them for a quote, etc... boom... NOS part. Yes, it will cost more, however, I think many of the folks on here are willing to respect the history of the 6/4T series given the cult following that has arisen.

I may need to add something like $2.50-$5 per item to attempt to cover my time and 3D hardware...but I doubt it will ever be recouped. Point is to avoid 'bastardization' of some beautiful pieces of history. The 4V series will be deprioritized given the few owners out there and I'm working on restoration of units myself so the museum can cover those bases.

But, back to the point, the current focus is on getting a 4T8 into the inventory. I think we all know of one forum member with a couple of T's... one of which is a T8. No pressure... but there are some out there... just need to find one. Alternative is to take one of several T10's and trim it to a T8. Less than ideal but let's see how the search goes.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Non-Profit. Not a dime... no, not even a penny of profit.

Are you sure you are not a politician! when one minute you say not a dime (just like taxes and the next you talking charging already )....:yum:you know if we keep buying with others donations we would never make a profit either its when you quit the ink turns color:w00t2:

OK, Mainer I will stop here with this discussion , Till next year! no really I have to stop because I will be gone for the Holiday:whistling: Have to go look at three vintage machines on the Canada Border can you say "Thiokol"

Buy the way we already have scanned some of the parts we used a CMM
(coordinate measuring machine ):ermm: it was good enough for the Military:biggrin:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Are you sure you are not a politician! when one minute you say not a dime (just like taxes and the next you talking charging already )....:yum:you know if we keep buying with others donations we would never make a profit either its when you quit the ink turns color:w00t2:

Oh I figured the year-end wouldn't go off without some smack-down from the Boggie-man. :w00t2: I think I can uniquely say that I've never sold a machine yet nor plan to. Yea, yea, there's always an exception and that exception would be to those forum members that have expressed interest in a machine and if it turns out that machine is not needed then I'd sell it for cost. That cost being what I paid plus transport. No other costs. So nah! :doh: (spoken like a true politician). :w00t2:

OK, Mainer I will stop here with this discussion , Till next year! no really I have to stop because I will be gone for the Holiday:whistling: Have to go look at three vintage machines on the Canada Border can you say "Thiokol"

We know about this mission and have already taken appropriate multi-platform technology tracking measures and have recruited/converted your translator to an agent. :wink:

Buy the way we already have scanned some of the parts we used a CMM
(coordinate measuring machine ):ermm:

No doubt you have...as we've discussed in past. I've used those and NC-milling machines to produce the end-product (not for snowcats when I had my hands in them). You should post those on your website as free downloads given costs have already been covered under prior custom-built work. :hammer::yum: Tongue in cheek aside, it should be noted that you've generously posted (for free download from your company site) all the electronic scans of diff manuals where others in the biz would charge for that. :flowers: http://www.mn-outdoors.com/PartsDiagrams.htm

it was good enough for the Military:biggrin:
No doubt. I don't think anyone questions the quality of your work... although I'm sure the military paid dearly. :ermm: Whether the data capture tool be physical or via laser, the accuracy should be sufficient to exceed cosmetic part replication but meet the threshold of mechanical functionality (ie, a ring & pinion). Either way, the end-result is a digital representation that is as good, if not better, than NOS ... question is putting it out as a free-download (ok, maybe I won't add the $2-$5 on just so I won't be accused of trying to make trillions of dollars from the massive population of buyers for Thiokol 6/TM parts). :yum:

Go on... I dare you to put two files out there for free download without any encryption key...for fabrication-quality data points (that is, properly assembled with intersections for 3-D representation) of Ring & Pinion in a commonly used standard file format (Autocad, etc.) for an OC-15. :whistling: You know I can't resist... :brows: You may as well beat me to the punch on it.

ps... Once I get it down to a science, I'd be happy to digitize unique parts for folks for free if they so desire... caveat being putting it out into a library for free download. Second caveat being not to send me a box of parts with a 'scan these'... should be as-needed/rare parts obviously.

pss... the ps offer above goes for all machine makes with exception of Krusties given the above would result in historical preservation/life-extension of machines. :yum:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Classified's Rule # 2 - All ads require your location.

I saw that rule but see it as applying more to WTS. I've pulled machines from Alaska so just depends on usual variables of machine model, condition, price, etc.... not so worried about where they are and sellers probably care less where the machines go...but the transport sign would read "Maine or bust." :brows:

I think some of us remember this little baby in Alaska (and the treasure hunt antics) and the seller wanted ridiculous cash on top of poor condition and very poor transport options. He'd been letting it rot for years and was fine having it rot but wouldn't sell unless he walked away with a mint. I'm sure it still sits rotting. Note to angle at which it sits and the angle of floor rot...been a while there...blown motor, etc.. :neutral:

Attachments

• Alaska_Thiokol3.jpg
    Alaska_Thiokol3.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 451

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I can uniquely say that I've never sold a machine yet nor plan to. Yea, yea, there's always an exception and that exception would be to those forum members that have expressed interest in a machine and if it turns out that machine is not needed then I'd sell it for cost. That cost being what I paid plus transport. No other costs. So nah! :doh: (spoken like a true politician). :w00t2:

So when you sell any I have DIBS and now AT COST !!!!!!!!:brows: for the record please forward all sales receipts so we can keep them in a safe place. :clap:

Did you win the Bernie award ? :yum: See you next year my Friend .........

This should be labeled WTBBTM ( wanted to buy before the Mainer)

Last edited:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
cmiller5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 pm
considering selling my snow cat. this one is a rare find with only 944 hours and 850 miles on it. previously a US Navy machine. everything works.

Attachments 63 snowcat cmiller5 Posts: 2 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 am
Finders fee for me, Mainer? Asking $12,500 Kansas City, Mo.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
;) On that already but thank you! 8) I believe a decision is sitting with another forum member at the moment... From some of the pics sent along it seems nice... I do wonder why the sprockets were changed at low hours but could be a good thing if someone (or some gov't) just wanted to freshen them up.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I saw that rule but see it as applying more to WTS. I've pulled machines from Alaska so just depends on usual variables of machine model, condition, price, etc.... not so worried about where they are and sellers probably care less where the machines go...but the transport sign would read "Maine or bust." :brows:

I think some of us remember this little baby in Alaska (and the treasure hunt antics) and the seller wanted ridiculous cash on top of poor condition and very poor transport options. He'd been letting it rot for years and was fine having it rot but wouldn't sell unless he walked away with a mint. I'm sure it still sits rotting. Note to angle at which it sits and the angle of floor rot...been a while there...blown motor, etc.. :neutral:

When I took that photo, there had been no movement of that for years. Will look it back up again this summer when I am out at Dutch again, maybe reality has set in...

How did the other units from Alaska turn out? Get them running yet?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
When I took that photo, there had been no movement of that for years. Will look it back up again this summer when I am out at Dutch again, maybe reality has set in...

How did the other units from Alaska turn out? Get them running yet?

Would be interesting... the owner was going to be moving the following year so if that was going to happen then he was going to sell it. In that whole process of tracking down GPS coords to land lot info to eventually get to an owner, etc... I met such a great group of folks including town leaders... what an intersting bunch of stories. Made me want to move there... and then there's all the bennies of living in Alaska that we know about :wink:

No, not running yet... but the beautiful Alaskan babies are aging nicely like a fine wine. :brows:

I've been planning out the design of one of the rigs... to be supermodified... twin vertical exhaust laced with propane and hydraulics to open up the back cabin for people loading w/o any headroom issues. The rest will be restored to original.

Thanks again fog.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
cmiller5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 pm
considering selling my snow cat. this one is a rare find with only 944 hours and 850 miles on it. previously a US Navy machine. everything works.

Attachments 63 snowcat cmiller5 Posts: 2 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 am
Finders fee for me, Mainer? Asking $12,500 Kansas City, Mo.

This is going to get juicy... I'm not even bothering on this one... so many people so hungry for these! Even I'm shocked!

The clammering... it's like a hoard! I think Boggie gonna end up with it... but it shows that dibs is NOT a thing of the past! Woo-hoo! Long live dibs! :clap: