• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stihl 017 chainsaw help

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I finished rebuilding this chainsaw about 2 months ago, someone had bought it new and run it with straight petrol and no oil in it, scored up the piston and rings good. I replaced the dead bits and cleaned the carb, so basically its nearly new chainsaw.

Now the problem, I have no manual for it. On the side of the carb there is a jet marked L and one marked LA. I need to tune the engine, and for that I need to know which is which.

Does anyone know, does anyone have the same saw with a manual? Is there any place I can get a manual for free?

Thanks

emerald

Hey mith,

I had a Stihl chinsaw a few years ago, once I got only a few seasons work up on it, the thing went down hill rapidly. After many hours of frustration and useless dealers (who wanted me to give it to them to fix) I eventually found an old guy who fixed chainsaws who had parts.

He told me, most Stihl chainsaws of my vintage always gave carb trouble, followed by big eng bearing trouble. Rather than throw money at it, I threw it out!

Now, I do not have any chainsaw, I borrow one :D

Emerald

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I would havet o agree with you, far more problems with Stihl than Husquavurna.
I see many more Stihl equip needing work (mainly scored pistons) than any other brand. That said, all my equip of that type is Stihl, never failed me yet, just seem to come across other peoples buggered Stihl stuff to add to my collection.
Anyone want an 026 with scored piston? I already have one so dont want this one :D

Best one I saw was a guy brought one in saying it was down on power. Turned out he was using it with the chain brake on, melted all of the plastic shrouding with the heat, oil pump gone, clutch burned, once replaced it had lots of power ;)

PS, sorry bout the typing, my hands are freezing cold, wish it would warm up :smileywac