• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Emergency Truck/Auto bags (Bug Out Bags)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious about what others do, but as winter is approaching I tend to think about what NEEDS to be in the car for safety in addition to what I carry during the summer months.

What do you guys & gals carry in your vehicles in case of emergency. Obviously most people would have a set of jumper cables and a spare tire, but do you also carry anything else with you for emergencies?

Do you have:
  • First Aid Kits
  • Energy Bars
  • Space Blankets
  • Water Bottles
What about other things not listed above? Do you have similar kits in each vehicle?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Set of jumper cables and a spare tire- check!
First Aid Kit-yup!
2 blankets..
As well as a container of water in the trunk, de-icing spray, 2 different types of scrapers, and always nuts and non-perishable snackies in the glove box, and the bottled water for drinking is always in the car, somewhere- (like rolling under the passenger seat).:rolleyes:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the above and snow pants, scarf, gloves, spare coat, clean socks, spare shoes, folding shovel, folding saw, hatchet, sand or kitty litter.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pirate Girl, What about a couple of Bic lighters, or matches, and a candle or two? What happens if you get your socks wet when you go out to try to shovel you way out, do you have a spare set of socks? Glove, scarf, hat? If you have a breakdown, can you survive a night in your car if the temps are 0-degrees and the car is not running?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Pirate Girl, What about a couple of Bic lighters, or matches, and a candle or two? What happens if you get your socks wet when you go out to try to shovel you way out, do you have a spare set of socks? Glove, scarf, hat? If you have a breakdown, can you survive a night in your car if the temps are 0-degrees and the car is not running?
Hummmmmmm.. now you've got me thinking just how unprepared I am!!:shock:
I'll make sure I have those items in my car before the first snow flies, which around here could be anytime after November 1, normally.
Which reminds me, the horse is due for a service soon.:smile:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hummmmmmm.. now you've got me thinking just how unprepared I am!!:shock:
Some of the folks who live WAAAAY out in the country probably should take 3+ days worth of supplies, plus an axe, a saw and some way to signal planes; people who stay in suburbia probably can easily get by with a lot less, but should pack up a bag if they intend to venture out beyond suburbia. I live in between suburbia and very rural areas so I don't pack up too heavy, but still, it seems appropriate to 'overpack' rather than under-pack for winter emergencies.

I was only a couple miles from home one snowy night when the temps were about 10 below Zero, and got 2 flat tires. I decided that it was worth it to me to shred the tires and drive home rather than try to walk 2 lane roads in the late night at those temperatures. I made it home, literally riding on shredded tires and bare rims. But would I have made that same choice if I was 5 miles from home?

5 miles is not very far if the weather is good. But at night. with snow on the roads, and at -10 degrees, it could be a death sentence to leave a car and try to walk.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
5 miles is not very far if the weather is good. But at night. with snow on the roads, and at -10 degrees, it could be a death sentence to leave a car and try to walk.
I agree.
There was a time when I worked for a visiting nurse agency, and I had some pretty scary trips out on those back country roads in winter,snow flying, driving on a sheet of ice, at night -during hospice calls.
I shall be fully prepared for anything this winter.
Thanks for the reminders. :)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Air for the spare tire......this is surprisingly overlooked quite frequently.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I travel into lots of remote off-road places, I carry the works. Partial list, but you'll get the idea - 4 season tent, -20 sleeping bag, enough freeze-dried food for a week, multi-fuel backpack stove, enough butane/propane fuel to run the stove and lantern/heater for a month, shortwave transceiver, etc...

Per Skurkas request below, will work up a complete inventory later. Right now I've got to hit the road to see some dead presidents.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but how extensive of a medical kit do all of you others have with you? Simple bandaids and a bottle of tylenol or do you have scissors, clotting agents, gauze pads, tape, etc, etc, etc?

Since I travel into lots of remote off-road places, I carry the works. Partial list, nbut you'll get the idea - 4 season tent, -20 sleeping bag, enough freeze-dried food for a week, multi-fuel backpack stove, enough butane/propane fuel to run the stove and lantern/heater for a month, shortwave transceiver, etc...
Bob, I'd love a FULL list of what you carry. I expect our members in many of the remote regions might have similar lists.

It would be nice to compare the lists.

Air for the spare tire......this is surprisingly overlooked quite frequently.
Yup! Even a simple can or two of "Air & Repair" can do wonders to get people back moving again if they remember to bring it with them!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but how extensive of a medical kit do all of you others have with you? Simple bandaids and a bottle of tylenol or do you have scissors, clotting agents, gauze pads, tape, etc, etc, etc?
Since I have "connections", I'd say my kit is pretty well stocked..:rolf2:
Speaking of bug out.. time for me to get ready for work!
Have fun in the threads ya groovy goons. :)

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
You guys get to have all the fun, winter has the potential to be an adventure. Living in north Alabama means we might and I mean might get some snow. Most of the time it is an ice storm. My truck contents remain constant throughout the year. Army first aid kit, Surefire flash light, jumper cables, and a 10,000lb capacity strap. 10K may not seem like much, but that is what it is rated to lift, pulling is much easier.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
tow strap, basic first aid kit ($15 commercial kit about 8x8x2), 12 volt compressor, can of fix a flat, basic tool kit, flashlights, etc... live in the truck year round, so I didn't list everything. When I was single, there was also a bedroll - couple of wool blankets rolled up in a 6x8 oilskin. I would love to see a good detailed list form others.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would love to see a good detailed list form others.

OK, a tow strap, not in my bag but I can't believe I don't consider that one of the things on my list, I often (but not always) have one with me, never have one in the wife's SUV.

• Hat
  • Mittens
  • Scarf
  • Socks
  • Bic Lighers (2)
  • LED flashlight
  • 12 hour yellow "light sticks"
  • Razor knife and multi-tool
  • Jumper Cables
  • First Aid Kit (military surplus style, fairly extensive kit, not a small personal kit, suitable for a small group of people)
  • Sanitizing wipes, sanitizing solution
  • assorted body & hand warmers (chemical packs that generate heat)
  • space blankets (and often but not always a real blanket)
  • bottled water
  • energy snacks, glucose stabilizing milkshakes, apple juice

I'm not rural enough to worry about carrying things like tents, sleeping bags, hatchets, mini-cooking stove, etc figuring if I have the energy to set up camp I probably have the ability to walk to a house, even in deep snow. I generally feel in my area its best to stay in the vehicle.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since I travel into lots of remote off-road places, I carry the works. Partial list, but you'll get the idea - 4 season tent, -20 sleeping bag, enough freeze-dried food for a week, multi-fuel backpack stove, enough butane/propane fuel to run the stove and lantern/heater for a month, shortwave transceiver, etc...

Per Skurkas request below, will work up a complete inventory later. Right now I've got to hit the road to see some dead presidents.

Sounds a bit like the supplies we carry on the Lamtrac for those rare times that leave us stranded miles from home. You've got to be prepared for any situation. Especially in the winter months at -30 celcius. Which reminds me, I've got to do an inventory in the Lamtrac to see what items we'll be needing for this winter.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I carry a right load of junk in my car, but I can guarantee that I don't get any snow as I own a snowtrac!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
1) $20 bill
2) 2 chocolate bars
3) 4 prophylactics

Ya, I know, I stole it from Dr Strangelove............

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
One winter I almost got stranded in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming when my rental SUV broke down. Luckily the guys noticed that I hadn't shown up and came looking for me. They found me about one in the morning and I was so glad to see them I almost kissed them. Not the sort of thing you normally do to oilfield trash ... and live. After that I always travelled with a backpack of "survival supplies" in the vehicle. I could have lived fairly comfortably for about 3 days without a problem.

Even now, at home in Texas, I carry enough tools and stuff in every vehicle to carry out minor, get you home repairs, a couple of fleece sleeping bags, 12v cooler with supplies and drinks, camping gas bottles with heater and stove, etc, etc. It's probably overkill but it does give you a sense of comfort when you do travel knowing that you won't be stranded at the side of some lonely road, hoping and praying for help to come by. At least you can sit and wait in comfort. One thing I did learn by experience is that carrying Slime to repair a puncture is a great idea but it's almost worthless unless you have a valve stem puller as well. :bonk: P.S. I got it out using a pair of tweezers from the medical kit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped off at the store today and picked up a 20' tow strap. I'd have preferred a 25' strap, but they didn't have any that long. Still, its a good thing to keep handy, sometimes all you need to do it give another car a little tug to get them out of trouble, or to get a little tug to get pulled back onto some ground that provides enough traction. I can't believe I didn't have one in the car before this, especially since I keep one in the tractor!!!