• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cabbage Lovers: Hold on to your seats ...

DAP

If you love cabbage, you'll love this. If you don't love cabbage, you may start.

If you still don't love cabbage, you may hate those who do!

:fart2:

Buy a head of good cabbage (savoy, etc). Turn it stalk side up, take a good sharp knife, and cut the hard white core out leaving a cone shaped hole.

Now, fill this whole with some butter, garlic and onions and most importantly, as much crush ice or ice cubes as ya can. Then set it down on the cored bottom and make a foil tent for it.

Put in on the grill and let her bake/steam/grill for about 50 minutes or until tender.

Undescribeably delicious. You can modify and put all kinds of things in that core. We're fond of goat cheese in there .... go nuts .. but cook it slow and cook it long.

To die for...

Free Teewurst for anyone who tries it and doesn't like it.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do the same thing . . . but with a modification. I've never used ice. I just fully wrap it with a couple layers of heavy foil. The moisture of the cabbage is enough to fully steam cook the cabbage as long as the foil is securly wrapped and sealed.

BTW, stuff it with mushrooms, butter & garlic. YUM.

And I will agree with DAP, you must COOK IT SLOWLY and for a LONG TIME. If it is over a hot part of the grill it will burn, I think it is best to turn off the burners (or move the coals) under the cabbage.

DAP

That makes sense bob ... we have a grill that uses only wood for fuel .. I've found these grills to run much hotter, cook much faster as a result and require a ton more tending and work to master, but there's something about food cooked on wood ...

Point being .. I tried the cabbage without the ice and it dried out on me .. perhaps cause of the high temps or the difficulty in regulating these wood burning grills ..

It sure is good eatin though ...

Hoping your up and off that recliner soon!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That does sound good. Now I have two things I want to try on the grill, beer can chicken and stuffed cabbage. And the wife has been wanting to try zucchini on the grill. I'll have to try them all at once. :D

DAP

Zuccinni: Slice it 1/4" thin lengthwise, olive oil brushed on both sides, salt then pepper ... crisp them up on the grill

to die for ...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
Zuccinni: Slice it 1/4" thin lengthwise, olive oil brushed on both sides, salt then pepper ... crisp them up on the grill

to die for ...
Can't you get anything right?

This is the right way to do it. Zucchini: Slice it 1/4" thin lengthwise, olive oil brushed on both sides, pepper then salt (and a nice grey flaked salt is best) ... crisp them up on the grill

to die for ...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
pepper then salt

And Bob insists anything stirred must be rotated in a clockwise fashion (so it doesn't resemble the rotation of water going down a drain... :pat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
And Bob insists anything stirred must be rotated in a clockwise fashion (so it doesn't resemble the rotation of water going down a drain... :pat:
Yes, that is true. Especially since all you guys stopped off at my house and clogged up all the drains. Oh wait, that is a different thread.

jakki

niam niammmmmmmmmmm, OK, I'm hungry...Love roasted vegies!! Never tried this one before, sounds like my new fave!!!:thumb:

jakki

B_Skurka said:

This is the right way to do it. Zucchini: Slice ...

....:rolleyes: ..This is the right way to spell it ZUCCHINI.....:yankchain:

....how's the beach?

:D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jakki said:
....how's the beach?

:D
Hot, sandy and wet. I posted photos in another thread! But right now it is a little overcast, seems like there is a 20 minute rain every afternoon that clears up pretty quickly.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

This is the right way to do it. Zucchini: Slice it 1/4" thin lengthwise, olive oil brushed on both sides, pepper then salt (and a nice grey flaked salt is best) ... crisp them up on the grill

to die for ...

Actually you can put a lot of things on it. I like it as you describe + oregano or a combo italian seasoning.

DAP

B_Skurka said:
Hot, sandy and wet. I posted photos in another thread! But right now it is a little overcast, seems like there is a 20 minute rain every afternoon that clears up pretty quickly.

Bob .. what beach you on?

:yankchain:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never thought of shrimp! But if you add a little garlic to that, it would be like shrimp scampi in a cabbage.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I never thought of shrimp! But if you add a little garlic to that, it would be like shrimp scampi in a cabbage.
Hmmm....I'm a little concerned about the shrimp getting overcooked. :puke1:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The shrimp was perfect. The cabbage was half done so next time I will add a bit more ice. Only the outter half of the cabbage was done. I bought the pre cooked frozen shrimp hoping that along with 3 sticks of salted butter would do the trick for steaming the cabbage. I cooked it on the BBQ for about 45 minutes at medium heat (plenty hot). I could hear the butter just boiling! The mushrooms and onions were great! I had planned on the garlic but found the clove a bit old so I by passed it altogether. Still not bad for my first try. Next time will see Bigger hole cut in the bottom. Garlic, Shrimp, 3 sticks of butter and a 1/2 cup of ice. More onions and mushrooms next time as well plus everything will be salted and peppered before being some what loosly wrapped but fully sealed. Thanks for the idea!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cook it for at least an hour. I've even slow cooked them for 90+ minutes.

Next time skip the ice but buy raw frozen shrimp??????

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob the shrimp was GREAT! I would roll a couple up in a cabbage leaf with some mushrooms and onions. MMMMmmmm Damn good my man Damn good! Will try your method next.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Bob...Crescent beach is right around the corner from my place down there. Turtle beach is another outstanding spot. Have you taken the drive down Casey Key road? Take 41 south tho Blackburn Point Rd. (Shell station) Turn right and go to end then go left (south). will drop you out at Casey Key beach in Nokomis. If you turn right at end of Blackburn (instead of left to go south), Stephen Kings place is last on right. John Goddy owned the Pink one on left with all the security cameras and walls.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboyjg. . . I've been pretty much sitting on the couch looking out my window at the ocean. With my foot still sore from surgery, I'm not actually able to do much on this vacation. Besides, I'll be home Monday.