• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Woodworking

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One of the things I have taken a liking to is woodworking. I don't have all the fancy tools and routers etc. What I do have is a craftsman 12 inch chop saw as well as a table saw.

We had wanted a nice entryway shelf with hooks since we moved in but I searched the city over and couldn't find one. That left me with two choices. 1. Order one and take a chance that it's good quality when it arrives or, 2. Build one out of solid pine and know what I have. I chose the second option and went out to pick up a few pieces of wood.

I started out with knotty pine boards 10" wide by 8' long. I cut 4 40" long pieces for the back and top shelf then cut some side pieces and dividers to make 4 separate cubbies for the kids hats and mitts.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First off. This was my inspiration but I didn't like that it has only 3 cubbies but 4 hooks. So I made mine to have equal cubbies and hooks.
e77bef1dc806d08a43f2e39c2b6576db.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the current state waiting for the first coat of varnish to dry fully before wet sanding and applying the second coat. I stained it a dark walnut yesterday then applied the first coat of varnish. It'll have 4 hooks installed after the second coat.
6d351e4d4f04fb23f7764da832f5c4ae.jpg
9396da9c2775a0f6cec1cce4862ccbbc.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That is good work my man. Congratulations.

Not being able to find exactly what I wanted was the reason I got started in woodworking 35-years ago. Believe me, you can get hooked.

I don't build stuff much anymore, it's more like running repairs these days, but the tools are still out in the shop. They all range from 10 to almost 35 years old but while they lack all the digital do-dads and lasers of todays tools, they still work and work good.

Have fun with it. It's a great hobby.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I enjoy it. At camp I started out with a plan in my head, showed up with a load of lumber and in 2 days built our outdoor kitchen. I did the same thing when I built the triple bunk beds we had for the kids. I'm always looking for little projects to keep me going. They give a sense of pride more so than a store bought piece of furniture.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, if you can do that from your head you are a better man than I am. I am one of those people who needs a plan, a diagram or a cutting sheet. As long as I have instructions to follow I am an expert. No instructions? Then I have to draw out my own. I've always been in awe of people who can visualize stuff and then build it with no blue print, drawings or written plans. I guess that I don't have the imagination or perception to do it freehand.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks but I find that I have a hard time following someone else's plan so I just look at pictures and get and idea of what I want to build then start cutting and screwing things together. Sort of a make it up as I go. Lol.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of taking it down and sanding it then refinishing it. I'm not 100% satisfied with how it turned out. I used a brush to apply the stain on it then let it sit and wiped it off. After it was dry I applied 2 coats of varnish wet sanding in between coats. The brushed on application of the stain didn't allow it to penetrate the wood as deep leaving almost a zebra finish.

When I did the fireplace mantle, I used a rag and saturated it with stain then rubbed vigorously into the wood. This left a much richer looking finish that really "popped " the wood grain.
8ea4f74a0c1dcf50fb26d853f303d436.jpg
4c71c2d7fea3cd5a0150c2021cf601c0.jpg

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of taking it down and sanding it then refinishing it. I'm not 100% satisfied with how it turned out. I used a brush to apply the stain on it then let it sit and wiped it off. After it was dry I applied 2 coats of varnish wet sanding in between coats. The brushed on application of the stain didn't allow it to penetrate the wood as deep leaving almost a zebra finish.

When I did the fireplace mantle, I used a rag and saturated it with stain then rubbed vigorously into the wood. This left a much richer looking finish that really "popped " the wood grain.
8ea4f74a0c1dcf50fb26d853f303d436.jpg
4c71c2d7fea3cd5a0150c2021cf601c0.jpg

I've been playing with wood for 50 or more than 50 years. Mostly fine furniture. Relaxing and creative.

IMO with a project such as yours I would dry assemble, dismantle, then spray and reassemble. It's impossible to get an even coat in that many right angles with a brush.

Also, the stain should not stop penetration. It's more like watercolor vs oil. A lot of big box stores so called stain is actually colored finish or sealer. I use analene dyes. They come in powder form and never go bad.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish that I had read that back in my woodworking days. It is something that I have never tried. Interesting read. Thanks.

I've done it that way for years.

My finishing supplies consist of stain powder, flake shellac, alcohol. Tung oil. Unless you are finishing architectural molding or large quantities of something, that's all you need.