• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1973 Tucker Sno Cat 1443 New to Me

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a little shop time in tonight. Installed the correct fuel sender. Gaiges are back and fully operational.

Figured out how to move the seat back a little more and found the factory seat belt. Can't be too safe these days!

Made up new 4 gauge battery cables. Vacuumed a little more.

Had to put down our 11 yo Doberman today . RIP Conway Luther Pendragon! Best snoberman ever! Sticking to barn cats going forward !
PHP:

Attachments

• IMG_7087.jpg
    IMG_7087.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 581

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took off the carb for rebuild. Lubed the choke cable and trying to free up the hand throttle cable. Guessing this is cruise control option back in the day. Perfect for a guy with a Tuckerized right leg.

Put some hose on the end hung up and filled it with penetrating fluid hoping gravity works it. Looks like just the end is rusty.

Adjusted/ tweaked the doors and lubricated the handles. Have them all closing and opening nicely now.

Still waiting on sno!

Attachments

• IMG_7132.jpg
    IMG_7132.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 551

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ordered the rain gutter brackets and found some used Thule mounts to go with my bars. Searching for my basket....

Found a manual online for my industrial slant HB225. Came with an industrial flat head manual which will be useful for a future project.

Researching the casting on the block it's a 1966. Is the difference in motor Year vs model year due to motor suppliers/surplus or Tucker buying in bulk hoarding?

Attachments

• IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 512

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rebuilt carb now complete with vacuum port. All adjusted purring like a happy cat. That stumble I had is gone and I believe it was a result of no vacuum to distributor.

Also got the cruise control cable freed up.

On to the receiver....

Attachments

• IMG_7143.jpg
    IMG_7143.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 495

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what I mocked up for a receiver. The design is not for towing but for a step solution or rear cargo basket.

Little fine tuning grinding welding and some gussets ready to go!

Attachments

• IMG_7150.jpg
    IMG_7150.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 569

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a mixture of rack parts to complete my design. The thule low raingutter brackets keep the bars low eBay used. Found my Thule square bars last in service on 1989 gmc jimmy 1996.

New Yakima side mount brackets line right up factory rivets into the square stock frame with some modification. Will modify the backers to match the width of the square tube and thru bolt with acorn nuts.

Just resting up there now. Need to figure a basket out then line everything up based on that and mount. No rush no sno!

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpg
    IMG_7176.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_7175.jpg
    IMG_7175.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_7174.jpg
    IMG_7174.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_7177.jpg
    IMG_7177.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_7178.jpg
    IMG_7178.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 483

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like my rear entry step is a wasted luxury on some. Tucker had it right. They designed the rear entry for those 6'9" and taller!

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpg
    IMG_7184.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 468

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Things finally looking up in Massachusetts for sno! Another upside to the new Tucker is the childcare factor. Great for daddy daycare when Mom hits the evening shift.

Got new defroster ducting hooked up took it out for a few mile ride with the boys. No Justin Timberlake but since the half time show Little Bri wants Lady Gaga playing. Oh well.

Thing runs awesome and all systems go!!!! Found a wire unhooked to wiper motor have high and low now.

Not quite enough room for J.Tucker to sit on my lap. Wheel is pretty close to my beer belly but he enjoys driving. Tucker is in his DNA.

Looks like foot or so coming Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpg
    IMG_7195.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_7197.jpg
    IMG_7197.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 409

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Little throw back to the good ole days of steel tracks. Friend sent me this today. Have to say I won't miss replacing cotter pins.....for now. Think this was right before that first blizzard I had the 442.

These lovely ladies are pros if you need some extra hands ! 10-14 " on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_7203.JPG
    IMG_7203.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 417

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Little throw back to the good ole days of steel tracks. Friend sent me this today. Have to say I won't miss replacing cotter pins.....for now. Think this was right before that first blizzard I had the 442.

These lovely ladies are pros if you need some extra hands ! 10-14 " on the way.

Replacing cotter pins seems like it might be worse than greasing rollers! Maybe the girls would be willing to help next time on the same machine - different owner :).

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Step prototype ready for testing.

Working on a windshield wiper issue now ....

Attachments

• IMG_7211.jpg
    IMG_7211.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 401

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, Are you going to put another plate on the top of the hitch tube,under the pintle hook? I could see myself with snowy feet slipping and doing the top frame tube on the bycicle thing when the chain comes of !!!!!!!:doh::doh::biggrin:

Just wonderin ????:clap::clap:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure yet. Now that I can use the cat we will find out quickly. The enter and exit is awkward. Also want a safer bottom step without the sharp edge for the kids.

Think there will be another design coming...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from a 5 mile test ride. Had to open some fences on the farm. Loving the cat missing the v8 only because I am use to the low rpm and loads of torque. Rides mich nicer on the sno but I will back up my prior opinion that the pontoon cat is a nicer ride. Definitely much less rolling resistance on the pontoon tucker.

All a trade off but great having the room for passengers. I will be back into pontoons one day !

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok finally got these wipers figured out. From what I can tell they linkage where it hooks to the wiper was in the wrong hole. There are three locations for the pin higher up more sweep lower less. These have been in full sweep for quite some time . It would jump if the edge of the drivers side and swipe down below the bottom on he passenger side. This setup would let it the arm get to the point it is too far and the motor would lock .

I find it hard to believe it came factory set like this but I see no marks in the other holes. One fix someone did was to bend/bow the linkage like a track link. Bad fix. Eventually the motor flexed the aluminum body where it thru bolts and broke the aluminum.

I made up a 1/8 backer and re-riveted it to the dash and bolted motor thru that. Put the arms in the middle hole and there is much less vibration and flex and good wipe on the glass.

Going to test so hope that is it for now. Motor needs to be replaced and I will re assess the situation then.

Attachments

• IMG_6948.jpg
    IMG_6948.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 606

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got about 20 miles on the cat. Here is a little hill climb video you can hear that slant purring away. Warning slow cat : https://youtu.be/R4qg52g3SSo

Nice and toasty in the cab. The snowmobile crew is loving the mobile warming hut. Other than the windows freezing shut or open in the teens all is well. Wipers check.

The factory bar on top of the tank is a great option. Will hook up the roller this afternoon and see how it grooms?

It really looks much better in the sno!

Attachments

• IMG_7217.jpg
    IMG_7217.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_7222.jpg
    IMG_7222.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_7221.jpg
    IMG_7221.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 610

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually the steel track rides better. You need to sink the grousers for a smooth ride so 4" and below is a little rougher.

Pontoons equal smooth sailing !

Aaron Tucker

I agree with you on the smoothness of pontoons but I would never drive mine in less then a foot with steel tracks . my grousers on the old 1342 had been reinforced , I even went rock climbing one spring after a land slid took out the road . I would never do that with the freighter. shit I drove the 1342 up interstate 70 one time when the trailer lost a tire . my point being I would think with rubber tracks you should be able to avoid the problems that come with early /late season low snow conditions .

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of smiles today. Low teens all day. Track packing the sno more on the way.

Had the kids over on the track doing hot laps today. You might see a familiar 5 year old who's other cat is running fast. (Green helmet ) https://youtu.be/rHRKHjXqfzo

I noticed on some later Tuckers after mine the door handles moved up forward. Now we know why. The handles on this cat easily pop open brushing up on the lever. Few adult door accidental openings and one J.Tucker so i had to add a safety lock ASAP. These slide bolts worked well.

Got twelve humans inside. Loving the full cab. Will be grooming a track for the draft horses and sleigh soon.

Bad news is Tucker left us out in the wild tonight. I was warned that the water pump/alternator belt was incorrect but it was on and New and working. We are still learning each other? I knew better occasional squeal. It failed and left use sending one sacrificial lamb out on foot that get picked up on the road. He came back with tools and a belt I thought was spare but turned out to be steering belt.I doubled out on sled came back on sxs and got the other three back.

Will fetch in am with correct belt.

Little coyote scouting cruise: https://youtu.be/YZGzQvJIkGA

J.Tuck's mother has ordered his ski helmet applied for tucker rides without adequate parenting. He likes to roam and has taken a few tumbles in the front and back. Little 1.5 yo still getting his sno legs. He's practicing for McCall!

Did I mention loving the full cab?

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpg
    IMG_7226.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_7229.jpg
    IMG_7229.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 560

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Brian,Looks like a lot of happy young faces in there !:smile: You do know you are just creating a future generation of "TUCKER" Accumulators !!!:clap::clap: