• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie,

What about the KT3? Have you already got one for static display? They are some what famous for being "static" here on the forum it seems. :wink::yum:

I would think Alan's KT3 would be a very nice project for some one to complete. Could you be that "special"some one? :flowers:

Regards, Kirk
well if it goes on display I hope he gets the cardboard cut out chicks to go with it.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie,

What about the KT3? Have you already got one for static display? They are some what famous for being "static" here on the forum it seems. :wink::yum:

I would think Alan's KT3 would be a very nice project for some one to complete. Could you be that "special"some one? :flowers:

Regards, Kirk

I do know where there is a super secret stash of krustys in New Mexico you just have to kick the black widows and scorpions out before you warm the bath. :yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know where there is a super secret stash of krustys in New Mexico you just have to kick the black widows and scorpions out before you warm the bath. :yum:

he also has an imp in Alaska he is trying to make a pushmepullya look alike out of

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still need to clean that puddle fro bob bleeding the lines. I will hopefully do that tonight midnights oil while playing some Jefthrol

The only "lines" would be from the oil tank and the oil cooler. There are no high pressure lines in this inline pump and motor. The high pressure oil is internal in the unit..

Hope this helps out some...

Regards, Kirk

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
The only "lines" would be from the oil tank and the oil cooler. There are no high pressure lines in this inline pump and motor. The high pressure oil is internal in the unit..

Regards, Kirk

I was looking at the oil tank breather cap and noticed that the bolt through the cap runs to a standard nut. Im going to change that nut to a self locking nut. If that nut fell into the tank the filter would stop it but I don't like the idea of nut laying around in the tank. I think vibration possibly could cause the nut going loose.

That oil tank is full of ATF ! interesting

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was looking at the oil tank breather cap and noticed that the bolt through the cap runs to a standard nut. Im going to change that nut to a self locking nut. If that nut fell into the tank the filter would stop it but I don't like the idea of nut laying around in the tank. I think vibration possibly could cause the nut going loose.

That oil tank is full of ATF ! interesting
type F ATF was common in that pump only type F not dextron mercron

Regards, Kirk

On the lines still a area of investagation should be charge line and pressure I do believe that this set up is using a external charge pump and I think there is a supply line for this to both pumps

And also there should be a case drain line but Kirk is correct the high pressure lines or paths are internal to the pump/ motor combo.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

On the lines still a area of investagation should be charge line and pressure I do believe that this set up is using a external charge pump and I think there is a supply line for this to both pumps

And also there should be a case drain line but Kirk is correct the high pressure lines or paths are internal to the pump/ motor combo.

Here's what I think i'm seeing ~ What looks like a power steering pump (charge pump) sucks Type F (I will verify the oil he used) through a filter from the bottom of the fluid holding tank ( tank has a temp gauge in the lower 1/4) that is vented on top of the tank. The tank has a return line coming into the top of the tank from the cooler coils which have an intake vent that has air drawn through the intake across the cooling coils by a pusher fan that pushes air across the engine radiator into a plentum exhausting out of the engine compartment. ( I picked this up from a few days just looking at the Kristi KT7 restoration build by Allen Huston.

When I went to adjust the track height on either side that power steering pump squealed (where else would that noise be from) Bob ~ Allen's neighbor told me he thought the squeal was from a loose belt at that power steering pump (charge pump) I hope thats all it is…. I may elect to stiffen the bracket holding that charge pump.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
He had bought a manual online, but unsure of which one it was a service manual

I see your preparing well for the work ahead.

Order sauna , check, Done
Order cases of coke , check, Done
Order cases of Rum, check, Done

Your gonna fit right in with the KT7 :wink:

I think with the current setup if you can get 8 mph your doing well the issue
Al was have was lack of power climbing a grade I suspect that the PSI developed
Is still bypassing the reliefs. The machine has high and low which changes the flow of oil in the motors in a grade I would say low will for sure be required

He said he never really felt that the engine was lacking in power but its either keep it original and live with the design with some tuning or redesign the hydro system to make it better more modern

I had coresponded with Karen about both machines and that is the very reason
In my mind I stuttered. Original is what I want, but I'm not sure original is the best choice and for that reason I held off

For a static display it makes little difference but for a daily driver I would want it better

If you need any help please feel free to PM I'm sure we can be of assistance

I hear what your saying. I just sold a cat that was original except for the blade and that cat could work. Yeti for me is just one of a kind different. Not a work horse but just a hobby cat… Going to be great to see it work as designed and go from there.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

Maybe tomorrow I can get a pressure gauge on the charge pump for a better idea whats going on.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I need a good link to that Ford motor so I can learn up on it.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe tomorrow I can get a pressure gauge on the charge pump for a better idea whats going on.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to find the exact block in that hydro pump/motor
Combo that runs the high low function.( have not found yet) Another area to investigate.

You can test the pressure at the pump which is also needed but you really need to test right at the pump because I think that same pump is providing the pressure for the leveling systems which I think would be higher than the charge
Pressure I would imagine there would be a pressure reducing valve to lower the
Pump pressure for the charge

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Power-...261156?hash=item1ea65efa24:g:jxMAAOSw5VFWMhwv

From another post here:

Your Ford industrial V4's may be the same engine that was used in Saabs in the late '60s. Here are the specs for that engine:

This data is for the standard engine in UK Specification.

Cylinders 4, in Vee 60 degrees
Bore 90 mm Stroke 58.86 mm
Cubic Capacity 1498 cc
Compression ratio 9.0 : 1
Max Output, net (DIN) 65 bhp at 4700 rpm irongoat remember yours says 2800 max so less
Max torque, net (DIN) 85 lb ft at 2500 rpm
Main Bearings 3
Valves overhead

If so, here is a link (http://www.saab-v4.co.uk/links.asp#v4parts) to a page of links regarding parts for the Saab version of this engine, some of them high performance, and some of which might fit your engines.

Last edited:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Power-...261156?hash=item1ea65efa24:g:jxMAAOSw5VFWMhwv

From another post here:

Your Ford industrial V4's may be the same engine that was used in Saabs in the late '60s. Here are the specs for that engine:

This data is for the standard engine in UK Specification.

Cylinders 4, in Vee 60 degrees
Bore 90 mm Stroke 58.86 mm
Cubic Capacity 1498 cc
Compression ratio 9.0 : 1
Max Output, net (DIN) 65 bhp at 4700 rpm irongoat remember yours says 2800 max so less
Max torque, net (DIN) 85 lb ft at 2500 rpm
Main Bearings 3
Valves overhead

If so, here is a link (http://www.saab-v4.co.uk/links.asp#v4parts) to a page of links regarding parts for the Saab version of this engine, some of them high performance, and some of which might fit your engines.

I went straight to the link for purchase. It will arrive 11/14/15 Thanks for the link…. I see that 2800RPM max

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Look what Al had in the cat

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 335

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Ford / Mercury Capri had V-4 engines like that too I think. Is this the same as was used in 1404's ?

Snowcat Pat

In our 3700AC we use AW32 in both hydro and aux hydraulic tanks. Sunstrand hydros. We use it for better cold weather and for our light use the oil never gets warm and the hydros run quieter. No problems at all so far, 15 years. The manual calls for also calls for Type F.
-Pat

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For the little bit that is been run I'm sure it's fine but type F is recommended
And I can't say why I just know that what they wanted in those systems

The type F for what I understand was originally best suited for running the brass and bronze clutch packs in the transmissions. The dextron and mercron has friction modifiers

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If needed there is a vintage racer here locally that races saab sonnets at road america in elkhart lake WI. I have spent some time getting my butt handed to me by his cars,
When I got my imp he supplied me the AC pulleys from the sonnets that allowed me to get a better belt configuration for my hydraulic pump. Mark makes custom parts like 4Bbl intakes and has done lots of head work, as you don't have exhaust manifolds there is really a lot of opening up to do there.
He has lots of tricks to make that motor run strong.
He pointed out the (harmonic)pulley at the front of the engine is not the crank.
your motor has adjustable or mechanical rocker arms, so don't be afraid to start there if you are down on power. Mark claims most of the damaged engines were lugged to death, he states they like to spin.....

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
In our 3700AC we use AW32 in both hydro and aux hydraulic tanks. Sunstrand hydros. We use it for better cold weather and for our light use the oil never gets warm and the hydros run quieter. No problems at all so far, 15 years. The manual calls for also calls for Type F.
-Pat

That's reassuring Pat... I'm guessing that it may also have something to do with the type of seals used in the hyrdo also different seals react differentially to different types of fluids.

I did not get much done today. I pulled the instrument panel down and started labeling the wire harness with the label maker. Just pulling it all apart looking at installation and for problems. Motor sounds good but the oil pressure gauge didnt display. I pulled the wire from the oil pressure sending unit and the gauge went straight to 80. I think that means the oil pressure sending unit is bad ? I hope lol....

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
If needed there is a vintage racer here locally that races saab sonnets at road america in elkhart lake WI. I have spent some time getting my butt handed to me by his cars,
When I got my imp he supplied me the AC pulleys from the sonnets that allowed me to get a better belt configuration for my hydraulic pump. Mark makes custom parts like 4Bbl intakes and has done lots of head work, as you don't have exhaust manifolds there is really a lot of opening up to do there.
He has lots of tricks to make that motor run strong.
He pointed out the (harmonic)pulley at the front of the engine is not the crank.
your motor has adjustable or mechanical rocker arms, so don't be afraid to start there if you are down on power. Mark claims most of the damaged engines were lugged to death, he states they like to spin.....

There is a label on the dashboard don't exceed 2800 rpm that must be red line eh? I ordered a engine manual off ebay but it wont be here for a week.

The starboard track lace is not complete I will likely get on that easy to do

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As the Hydro manual says.. 2,800 RPM is the limit of the pumps, and is just barely in the lower part of the power band of the engine.. Were it mine, I might consider a belt driven governor on the engine to keep it in limits.. Not ideal, but would help to save the pumps/motors.

But as Mike said the V4's love to twist tighter, and lots more power is on tap above 2,800 rpm.

Regards, Kirk

For what it's worth I was told by the local petroleum dealer last winter that the modern ATF will work in just about all applications including those that recommend type F. They said Type F is getting harder and harder to find. I had a Pisten Bully that I ran for at least 1000 hrs on Dextron III with no performance problems. I run a hydraulic fluid on my current Pisten Bully and the factory tech guys say use what ever type you like. ATF is a little better for cold start ups but not as good otherwise.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
do you have two hydraulic systems one for the drive and one for the track height adjustments?

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
As the Hydro manual says.. 2,800 RPM is the limit of the pumps, and is just barely in the lower part of the power band of the engine.. Were it mine, I might consider a belt driven governor on the engine to keep it in limits.. Not ideal, but would help to save the pumps/motors.

But as Mike said the V4's love to twist tighter, and lots more power is on tap above 2,800 rpm.

Regards, Kirk

Ah ha ! Yup good idea putting in a governor I sires heck don't want to have to yank out pump/motors…..

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do a fair amount of pulling in my 1404. I would dare say that little v-4 is quite happy at 2800 power wise.

I have never laid eyes on a torque curve but I bet it is pretty flat after 3000 rpm

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Tonight I will have my GVW off the trailer any guesses on what it might be…..