• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Parts wanted: Snow Trac Bogie Wheels

jakers

My name is Joe and I live by Snoqualmie Pass in Washington.

Looking for 2 4" bogey wheels for an ST4. Will take tires with wheels, if necessary. The tire size is 400-4.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Parts wanted

Welcome to forumsforums Jakers!

Many of our snowcat buddies only read the threads in the snowcat forums. Your request would be seen by more eyes if you posted it over there.

EDIT BY BOB: Doc, you are correct on this point, so I just moved this thread over to the Snowcat Repair & Restoration and left a redirect from this thread.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jakers said:
Looking for 2 4" bogey wheels for an ST4. Will take tires with wheels, if necessary. The tire size is 400-4.
Joe, sorry but I don't know of a source for the wheels.

HOWEVER, I have seen some people have used "Hand Truck" wheels (and even the tires) from industrial hand trucks. I'm not sure what brand. But you might want to check with a company like MAGLINER to see if they have a wheel/tire combination that will work. Magliner is one of a few brands out there, but it is known for its durable industrial strength hand trucks.

http://www.magliner.com/Product/handtrucks.htm

If you can't original style replacements, and as we are using slow moving vehicles, there is probably no reason why a wheel from Magliner would not work.

Attachments

• 131010.jpg
    131010.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 768

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe,

I went out to my warehouse and checked one of my Magliner handtrucks.

The tires are 4.10/10/3.5. That translates to a 4" rim, 10" diameter, 3.5" wide tread.

I think they would work!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 689
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 676

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually it is a Scott Barber plaid shirt in a brushed silk & linen blend. Yes, I feel fine. :tiphat: Its raining and I don't feel in the Hawaiian mood.

rrossell7

Hi, Everybody,
I,ve been looking for a solution to the lack of tires for my ST4 and I think I have
it. It looks like you guys have come to the same conclusion. Hand truck tires, which come in hard rubber, so no need for foam filling. I tried that and it adds so much weight it's rediculous. Thanks for listening. rrossell1

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
rrossell1 said:
Hi, Everybody,
I,ve been looking for a solution to the lack of tires for my ST4 and I think I have
it. It looks like you guys have come to the same conclusion. Hand truck tires, which come in hard rubber, so no need for foam filling. I tried that and it adds so much weight it's rediculous. Thanks for listening. rrossell1
rrossell1, thanks for the added input, and confirmation since you have apparently done this already.

I can only speak to the Magliner brand wheels/tires because that is the brand I use in my warehouse operation, but they have several different types available and they sure seem like they would be a great substitute.

However, I think if I was to run out of tires (I have a half dozen extras) then I would probably use an air filled tire like I have shown in the above photo and simply put some "Slime" or some other similar anti-flat tire product into the tire. It would weigh less than a foam filled tire, provide a reasonable level of flat protection, and would provide more cushion against impact than a solid tire.

Still, I do think that these hand truck tires are a reasonable solution.

Another source for them would be a place like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply Company or maybe Harbor Freight. I know Northern Tool & Harbor Freight both sell over the internet so if there are not locations nearby the tires/wheels could be ordered over the internet.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob the slime would freeze solid on the bottom of the tire and not work properly. But I am curious how does a foam filled tire weight more than a solid rubber tire? I wouldnt worry to much about the weight if it helps with a constant problem of flats on the same wheels. I know the front most small tires on the older snow tracs had a problem of going flat. The remidied this by putting a brass tire there instead.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Bob the slime would freeze solid on the bottom of the tire and not work properly.
I never had any problems.

From the mfgr's website:
Q: Will slime freeze

A: SLiME can be used even in the most extreme conditions. SLiME's boiling
point is 220ºF (104.4ºC) and its freeze point is -30ºF (-34.4ºC). SLiME will
not freeze solid in extreme cold, but the viscosity may increase. As soon as
the tire is in rotation, friction will create heat and that heat will bring the
sealant back to its normal viscosity

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We tried lots of substitutes and found that most of them just don't preform like the original tire. I have yet to find a substitute for the small Rim. It has a very heavy duty bearing assembly. I even met a guy that had laminated together plywood wheels in place of the original. The currently available 3.50 X 4.00 is a lousy substitute. It's narrower and the tube and sidewall tend to get pinched. There is an aricraft tire, for gliders that works well but the cost is prohibitive. After trying some 30 substitutes from a small wheel specialty company out of Seattle, and seeing dozens of Ski areas in New England make similar attempts only to have them fail I strongly recomend the original tire.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I couldnt agree with you more Lyndon! We have very specialized vehicles that sometimes requier specialized components. The tires Lyndon is speaking of are available at (814) 355-2483 They cost $73 for the tire and $18 for the tube. They are used on Gliders and old Mooney "Mites" I am working on another source but have not had contact with them yet. Their number is 1 800 247-8473. I am also looking into the larger wheels 600x100 and know they are available. DMIESNER has a set on his Snow Master and I belive they were made by Goodyear for Bombadier but dont hold me to that. I will call and ask him tonight. I have also seen a Metzler tire on another Snow Master in Germany but so far I have had zero luck seeing if they are still in production. When I get all the replacement tire info I will post where to get them and for how much in a dedicated thread.

cooper

I run Metzler tires on my Harley. Also Avon is another good tire company that makes motercycle tires. These will work for the BIG tires on snow tracs Call and talk to just about any H.D. shop and they should be able to match a tire for you.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The original tire manufacturer, Trelleborg, discontinued the Large tire, but was still producing the small tire. Christer has them, in Sweden, and Warren has them in Mazama, Wa. A previous dealer, Jerry Mentzel formerly of North Pole Alaska ordered a bunch of them and the container they were in fell off the ship somewhere along the Washington/B.C./Alaska caost. He got a replacement order which Warren got when he bought Jerry out.

schmidt

We too have found that only the original tires have worked well and I decided to have them all foam filled by Les Schwab. They had to be sent to Prineville, OR for foaming, about a week turn around. Since we have done this, we have had no problems with any of the tires over the past two years and I would guess the tires probably have 600+ miles of them. I remember a few years back trying to "Gerry Rig" a number of different types of tires with no luck. An email to Christer solved the problem.

Brad
Mountain Home Lodge

Alp Trac

Just to be clear, thay are aviation tyres, I guess for microlight type aircraft.

That might help with your search for a supplier in the States.

Alp