• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Advice

Anne

Hi guys. I realize you probably don't know me, but hoped someone could give me some advice/suggestions/opinions re rain/water damage etc. I own a condo. Last year, after heavy rains, I noticed brown spots on the ceiling & reported it to the Board. They said a roofer came out & did some patchwork. I thought that was the end of it & tried to paint over it. (That didn't work too well.)

This year, more rain spots appeared on the ceiling a few feet away. The Board was unable to find any exterior damage, & they decided they will waterproof the deck (over my unit) & cut me a check for $200 to paint my ceiling. The spots are in an odd spot - not exactly where the deck starts, but closer to a stairwell leading to the deck. IMO, the leak is not coming from the deck. I was hoping the source of the leak would be found & fixed. No such luck. This has dragged on for months.

I did some research on the web re water/rain damage, & then a new headache - I read about mold. I have a feeling, to find the source of the leak (which is what I wanted), they may have to break through the ceiling (into the common area), & there might be mold cleanup. This is all new to me, & it sounds like an expensive undertaking.

I feel the Board is taking the easy/cheap way out by waterproofing & trying to get away with a minimal payment to me for "paint." This whole ordeal has kept me awake at night - no answers, their contractors viewing the damage (for bids), umpteen emails, & no solution.

What are your thoughts/advice? Frankly, I don't know where to start. Thanks much.

P.S. I still have not received a check they spoke about weeks ago.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Have them look around the roof to wall flashings and any pipe/vent flashing or skylites flashings in the area . I have worked for many Condos owners in the past .

Anne

The Board Pres was kind enough to take some pics. They're not the easiest to see, & there are newer larger spots. (Does it look like mold?) I'm thinking maybe a hidden pipe. Or, maybe they'll find Jimmy Hoffa. Groan.

ceilingone.jpg

Here's the sundeck, but the leaks are closer to the shadow (doorway leading to the deck). (Taken a year ago by a realtor.)

sundeck.jpg

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Anne:: if they do cut you a check for $200..I don't know if i would except it ..or cash it..as it sounds like the condo acc.. is just cutting you a check to try to pasify(sp?) you..You should probably read your agreement of ownership...If you are a renter its there problem..if you are a condo unit owner..you bought into there unit and you basicly own it..And i hope you don't get into the mold deal..mold has to have moisture and air to grow..if they fixed the leak ..then no moisture...don't worry about it..if you are going to repaint your ceiling ..you can pick-up a can or two of KILZ..in the spray cans..and KILZ the stains...if you don't they will bleed through the new paint...this is just my opinion....Byron:1062:

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Anne:: you post your pics. while I was typeing...First pic looks like it just needs stain KILZ..on it and repainted...There's know way to tell if there's any mold above the ceiling...Iv'e been a carpenter/ contractor for 30 years..and my insurance man (that i remodeled his house) said if you get into(black) mold leave it alone..I've taken out tubs and abit of mold on the other side of walls..spray with bleach..and cover them up....My insurance guy said never do that again....B,

Anne

I've heard of Kilz. Great idea! Will pick some up when I go to Home Depot.

Al, don't know what material the deck is. After I bought the unit years ago (after the big quake here), I read something in the Minutes about the deck work not being done properly. (They do everything half-arse excuse me.) I asked if it was ever insulated(?) for sound. When anyone walks on it, it sounds like a plane landed overhead. There's also a crack that runs across my ceiling from the deck. No leaks in that area. Very odd. Maybe clogged gutters or flashers? from the rain. It's a mystery to me as to why noone sees any damage.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple of things. If your unit is condo ownership, the walls, including the leaks are the problem of the association. The paint is your problem, but if the damage is from a leak not of your doing, should be covered either by the association and/or their insurance.

(2) That roof/deck is probably the problem if it is over your unit. It could be any number of materials, but none of them last forever, particularly if flat.

I don't know where you live, but wet warm climates such as Virginia where I live, mold seems to be less of a problem than its press would indicate, so I would worry more about the leak than the mold. Those spots, from the photo, look like just water spots, but water damage does not get better with time. The leak, wherever it is, needs to fixed.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the way I understand condo ownership and the rights you have

http://www.ired.com/news/hejl/ownership.htm

Generally, apartment-style buildings are called condos, two-story row houses are known as town homes, and free-standing homes on small lots are referred to as garden homes. Unfortunately, this description creates some confusion about real estate ownership. Apartment, town home, and garden home describe the design or construction of certain homes. The word "condominium" does not refer to a the layout or style of a building. Condominium is a form of ownership of real estate. The form of ownership of real estate cannot be recognized by observing the building design.
Condominium Regime

The legal definition of condominium is: the absolute ownership of a unit based on a legal description of the airspace the unit actually occupies, plus an undivided interest in the ownership of the common elements, which are owned jointly with the other condominium unit owners. Each unit owner of a condominium has individual title to the space inside his unit. The space is sometimes described as beginning with "the paint on the walls." In addition, each unit owner has an undivided interest in the physical components of the condominium buildings and land. A popular type of condominium development is the multi-story apartment. In this case, there is no land under each unit. In these developments, the condo association usually handles maintenance of the building exterior and common grounds, while the unit owners maintain the interiors of their units. A condominium association is selected to make decisions about expenditures for repairs, and to handle administrative work related to the common areas. Fees are collected from the unit owners to pay for common maintenance. The association normally holds an insurance policy covering the jointly-owned areas, while individual owners carry insurance for the interior components of their units.
Condo projects may resemble duplexes, town homes, garden homes, or residences on regular lots. In general, the creation of a condo regime allows the developer to get more density approved than would be allowed if he had done single-ownership lots. This is often the reason why the condo regime is chosen instead of a development with single ownership lots. A condominium may be built as two units of a duplex. In this case, the two owners may jointly make decisions concerning maintenance of any common areas. By setting up the units of a duplex as two condos, the owner is able to sell them to two different owners.
Each condominium has rules that are specific to the development, so no assumptions should be made about their requirements. It is important to read the condominium documents carefully before purchasing a condo. The documents specify the maintenance that is covered by the common budget. In one project, the association may handle exterior components, decks, pools, sidewalks and driveways. In another, the individual owners may be responsible for more maintenance of their units, including foundations, roofs, and exterior walls.
If you have questions about the division of labor between the common budget and the individual owners of a condominium, you can present your question to the condo board itself. The board can give you an interpretation of the rules and clarify how the issue has been handled in the past. Another possibility is to ask a real estate attorney to review the documents for you. Realtors, other unit owners, or maintenance workers are not appropriate or reliable sources for the interpretation of condo documents.
The Texas real estate contract for condominiums contains a provision requiring that the buyer be given a copy of the condo documents, with a period of time to review them. During the document-review period, the buyer may terminate the contract without penalty. In addition, a resale certificate is must be provided by the association president or manager. This document provides information on the current budgets, insurance coverage, special assessments, lawsuits and other matters that affect the association.

Generally, apartment-style buildings are called condos, two-story row houses are known as town homes, and free-standing homes on small lots are referred to as garden homes. Unfortunately, this description creates some confusion about real estate ownership. Apartment, town home, and garden home describe the design or construction of certain homes. The word "condominium" does not refer to a the layout or style of a building. Condominium is a form of ownership of real estate. The form of ownership of real estate cannot be recognized by observing the building design.
Condominium Regime

The legal definition of condominium is: the absolute ownership of a unit based on a legal description of the airspace the unit actually occupies, plus an undivided interest in the ownership of the common elements, which are owned jointly with the other condominium unit owners. Each unit owner of a condominium has individual title to the space inside his unit. The space is sometimes described as beginning with "the paint on the walls." In addition, each unit owner has an undivided interest in the physical components of the condominium buildings and land. A popular type of condominium development is the multi-story apartment. In this case, there is no land under each unit. In these developments, the condo association usually handles maintenance of the building exterior and common grounds, while the unit owners maintain the interiors of their units. A condominium association is selected to make decisions about expenditures for repairs, and to handle administrative work related to the common areas. Fees are collected from the unit owners to pay for common maintenance. The association normally holds an insurance policy covering the jointly-owned areas, while individual owners carry insurance for the interior components of their units.
Condo projects may resemble duplexes, town homes, garden homes, or residences on regular lots. In general, the creation of a condo regime allows the developer to get more density approved than would be allowed if he had done single-ownership lots. This is often the reason why the condo regime is chosen instead of a development with single ownership lots. A condominium may be built as two units of a duplex. In this case, the two owners may jointly make decisions concerning maintenance of any common areas. By setting up the units of a duplex as two condos, the owner is able to sell them to two different owners.
Each condominium has rules that are specific to the development, so no assumptions should be made about their requirements. It is important to read the condominium documents carefully before purchasing a condo. The documents specify the maintenance that is covered by the common budget. In one project, the association may handle exterior components, decks, pools, sidewalks and driveways. In another, the individual owners may be responsible for more maintenance of their units, including foundations, roofs, and exterior walls.
If you have questions about the division of labor between the common budget and the individual owners of a condominium, you can present your question to the condo board itself. The board can give you an interpretation of the rules and clarify how the issue has been handled in the past. Another possibility is to ask a real estate attorney to review the documents for you. Realtors, other unit owners, or maintenance workers are not appropriate or reliable sources for the interpretation of condo documents.
The Texas real estate contract for condominiums contains a provision requiring that the buyer be given a copy of the condo documents, with a period of time to review them. During the document-review period, the buyer may terminate the contract without penalty. In addition, a resale certificate is must be provided by the association president or manager. This document provides information on the current budgets, insurance coverage, special assessments, lawsuits and other matters that affect the association.

Lia

Banned
The covering on the deck looks like asphalt... I'm not an expert in these things, just saying what it looks like. You have my sympathies Anne, it does indeed look like the Board are giving you the runaround, and trying to dodge the issue.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
check for cracks around the door to the deck - or damaged flashing.
another thought - does the drain for the roof/deck run down the outside of the building or inside the wall - that may also be leaking, either due to a partial blockage or bad flashing at the top. (had a similar problem with one of the roof drains at the building I work -- took me 3 times - after consecutive storms - to get them to look at that and once they added some mastic to seal it up just inside the top screen, no more leaks)