• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac steering belt

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
just ordered a 2926v646 from motion industries in washington will cost me $105.00 plus us mail shipping the advantage with them over ak rubber will be a bid freight savings

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that the GATES brand belt?

I know I have a spare, didn't realize it was worth so much!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A heavy variable speed belt costs this much now days. A good snowmobile belt is $95 I know as I just bought two.:glare: Got to pay to play....

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
By the way, for whatever it is worth, the 'steering' belt on a Snow Trac is actually called a VARIATOR Belt. If anyone needs to know any technical information about the Variator or the Variator Belt, do a couple of searches using those terms. Lyndon, the undisputed walking encyclopedia of Snow Trac knowledge has written up a thread about the Variator.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
By the way, for whatever it is worth, the 'steering' belt on a Snow Trac is actually called a VARIATOR Belt. If anyone needs to know any technical information about the Variator or the Variator Belt, do a couple of searches using those terms. Lyndon, the undisputed walking encyclopedia of Snow Trac knowledge has written up a thread about the Variator.
yes he is and yes it's a gates belt

stevefromcac

I just got My Variator back together last night. It's a confusing little mousetrap, but I think I got everything where it belongs. I am planning on doing the final belt tension(center spring adjustment) after I have a power plant back in it. If nothing else everything turns a lot easier now.

Arno Ortlieb

someone has the exact dimensions of the belt ? :brows:
ect length wide ect

my belt is very loose and I can not adjust it any more (see picture)

by the way the SnowTrac runs only 15 km/h how fast are normal ? we have an second one this runs 25 km/h

best regards

Arno

Attachments

• Snowtrac Arno_RE. (27).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (27).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 620
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (40).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (40).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 623
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (42).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (42).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 607
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (22).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (22).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 615

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
What motor do you have in there?
Can you determine how many teeth are on both the front and rear gears on the chain drives in both Snow Tracs? That could be the difference in the speed

Arno Ortlieb

it is in AUDI 80 engine with 51 KW
in front I have 42 in the back (on the gearbox) 11 teeth (in the SnowMaster)

but any how - how fast is normal ?

Arno

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
but any how - how fast is normal ?

Arno
About 20mph give or take, that would be roughly 25kph plus or minus.

There were different sprockets used, and the sprocket determines the top speed, so depending on the sprocket used in your Snow Trac you should find that about 25kph would be in the 'normal' range.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i'm sold if i ever do a liquid cooled conversion it will be one of those 1.6 motors don't even have to alter the hood

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Cant believe I missed this the first go around..........what is up with those side windows????????? Is it just me? Never seen 4 little windows before.....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The roof too,

I noticed the windows right away...and the roof. Wonder if it is an open top model that some one has rather tastefully enclosed. That is my guess anyway.

Kirk

Arno Ortlieb

Hello thanks for the reply, there's another snow trac in black forest with such a cabin, so I think it is original. With the speed - thanks for the information - (with out original motor) it made me just interesiert how fast go in original Snowtrac as jusual. 1 maschine ist a bad reverenz - so we will start to chance the sprocket to make it faster / the mashine is now only for fun, he donth have to work (pull) any mor
The hood is chanced :) / in the end I'm sad that the mashine not original any more - in the case of a Snowtrac are no better than a VW air cooled engine (in my opinen)

we will restorations the Snow Tac the next 12 months but live the engin in

have some body the datas from the belt (variomatic belt) ????

enclose picture from the hood an the cabine

Attachments

• Snowtrac Arno_RE. (4).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (4).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 562
  • Ausfahrt 01-10 (6).jpg
    Ausfahrt 01-10 (6).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 563
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (46).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (46).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 566
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (21).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (21).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 556
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (8).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (8).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The cabin IS AN ORIGINAL CABIN. I've seen photos of several of those and each owner claimed the cabin was original. From what I can tell after digging through as much history of the company as my brain will hold, they were a very frugal company and used what parts they had on hand in the best way they could. So if they had that size window then they made a cabin up to utilize those windows. If they had the larger windows then they made up cabins with the larger windows. They did the same type of thing with their electrical systems and lights. Running and tail lights changed as they ran out of one style of light they switched to another.

Arno Ortlieb

it's me again ..... the belt is on the picture right?

it is nice to know bevore i am put the variator in parts (and order the belt)

(the picture im taken 2 years ago i donth have this belt in hand)

best thanks in advance

Arno

Attachments

• Kailriemen.jpg
    Kailriemen.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 535

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I am not familiar with this belt.....the number of the replacement belt I am familiar with is 2926V646. The general consensus is that the Gates multi speed belts are the best replacement but I have used several off brands that seem to work just fine.
If you want a new Snow Trac Variator belt try to contact Christer Morlind at christer@klovsjo.com his website is http://www.klovsjo.com/snowtrac/

here are some links to the US. Don't know if they will ship to you or not..
http://www.plccenter.com/BasicSearchGrid.aspx?SearchType=1&SearchDepartment=4&SearchString=2926V646

http://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/GPT-2926V646-1113p39070.htm

thanks for the great pictures and video !!

teledawg

someone has the exact dimensions of the belt ? :brows:
ect length wide ect ...

It looks like the 2926V646 is also available in a metric equivelent:

V-Belt....Top Width....Outside Length.... Metric
Number...(Inches)......(inches)............. Number
2926V646 1-13/16..... 65.4.................46V1640A26
Maybe the 46V1640A26 will be eaiser to find in the Black Forest. :w00t2:

Explanitation of imperial belt part numbers: xxyyVzzz

xx := belt width in 1/16 of an inch.
29/16" = 1-13/16"

yy:= intended pully angle in degrees
26 degrees

V := variable speed belt

zzz := belt length in 1/10 of an Inches
646/10 = 64.6"

Explaniation of metric belp part numbers: xxVzzzzAyy
xx := belt top width in mm
46 mm wide

V := variable speed

zzzz := belt length in mm
1640 mm long

A := angle

yy := intended pully angle in degrees
26 degrees

Arno Ortlieb

Hello Fred, many thanks you've saved me a lot of money and time - I think the transport of en belt from sweden and usa is expensiver than the belt itself ! best regards from the black forest Arno

Attachments

• SnowTrac Feldberg 015.jpg
    SnowTrac Feldberg 015.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 994
  • SnowTrac Feldberg 012.jpg
    SnowTrac Feldberg 012.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,061

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i would like to but now with the tsa bs they might not let me back in to this country i was born in japan on an americain instalation and tsa can't understand why i don't have immigration papers. i'm eventualy going to have to get a passport but not looking forward to it as i expect it will be an up hill battle and o yes 20 years of military service means nothing to them A$$holes

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Arno,
Very nice looking Snow trac.......what number is it?
Can you post some detailed pictures of the motor, cab, etc.... we love pictures!

Arno Ortlieb

Hallo Couchlofaer, you like pictures :wink: well thats not a problem - enclose the pictures. We have 3 SnowTrac - 2 Snow Master (the are by one) and 1 SnowTrac witch we take care it is not any more in use by the owner, the owner are the Herzogenhorn Sporthotel http://www.herzogenhorn.info/
the keep them for historical reason - and also for safty reason when the KÄSSBOHRER have a down brake have nice day Arno

Attachments

• SnowTrac Feldberg 013.jpg
    SnowTrac Feldberg 013.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 940
  • GenerateImageWatermark.jpg
    GenerateImageWatermark.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 956
  • SnowTrac Feldberg 005.jpg
    SnowTrac Feldberg 005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 886
  • SnowTrac Feldberg 021.jpg
    SnowTrac Feldberg 021.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 913
  • Snowtrac. (13).jpg
    Snowtrac. (13).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 881
  • Snowtrac. (15).jpg
    Snowtrac. (15).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 925

Arno Ortlieb

and now the picture from one of the Snow Master (the second I am must take first picture this one are in bad condition (some kids smashed the cabin)

Attachments

• Snowtrac Arno_RE. (21).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (21).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 870
  • Snowtrac Arno_RE. (46).JPG
    Snowtrac Arno_RE. (46).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 912