• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

subaru motor for a snow trac

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
has anybody put a subaru motor into a snow trac adaptors are available but I'm interested in other complications exhaust and cooling system i remember the old push rod motors were bullet broof and reliable

Uncle Ed

dds
I normally don't post here, but I do a lot of reading. People have been putting subaru engine in VW's, so there are web sites out there. One of the subaru groups that I belong to is:Ultimate Subaru Message Board You'll find some info there along w/links.
Ed

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of our members from Iceland posted a photo of a Subaru powered Snow Trac. The member, Villi, only posts in the winter so he is inactive here most of the year and I've not seen him post yet this season. The Subaru powered Snow Trac is not his Snow Trac, but if I recall correctly it was operated by a rescue association in Iceland for search and rescue missions.

There have been other Subaru powered units mentioned, but I don't think we have any members here (yet) who own one.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the motor i would like to put in would be one of the older push od motors i think they were 1600 and 1800 cc motors i worked on alot of them back in the 80 s and remember tearing them down and finding no wear in the cranks after 300k moles they wernt powe houses but were reliable and cheep too run i would also like to see some pics of the engine compartment or know what mods to expect for coolng systems and exhaust as i still have my old parts tub i could work on in a ground up build

Uncle Ed

My choice would be an EA81 (1.8). What would be interesting is what trans did they use, VW or subaru. The subaru ones up to 85 were 4 speeds, 85-92 were 5 speed. Would having a low range be of any help ( high/ low) or could you change the finial drive ratio to give a higher top speed. The subi transmissions for a carbed car are 23 spline, turbo models are 25 spline. How are the variators driven? spline, keyed? I know choices, choices, choices...:unsure:
Ed

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
My choice would be an EA81 (1.8). What would be interesting is what trans did they use, VW or subaru. The subaru ones up to 85 were 4 speeds, 85-92 were 5 speed. Would having a low range be of any help ( high/ low) or could you change the finial drive ratio to give a higher top speed. The subi transmissions for a carbed car are 23 spline, turbo models are 25 spline. How are the variators driven? spline, keyed? I know choices, choices, choices...:unsure:
Ed
over drive would be nice for some of the long flat areas that we have around here but in the intrest of keeping things simple i would go wih a kep adaptor and the vw trans all me rigs have the older padle drive axles and i wont sat its impossable but i don't think it would be worth the effort to put in a subaru trans the sub motor wil also rev a bit hugher wich will give a little more speed anyway and and i also want to stay away from timing belts they seem to have a bad track record in the cold its not uncommoon to leave town on the coast at 5 above and go inladn to wake up at -30

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 cats with the subaru engine in them. EA81- Hydro combo. One has been in the snow at 9000ft elevation. Not a power house but it is useable. They did make a few EA81T turbo models that would be my choice. At sea level like you will be In I think it would be great!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you have to remember the origional motor was a 34 hp motor the one i runnig now is 60hp and the only time i need anymore than that is pulling a steep grade in deep snow however being a diesel freak i miss the low end grunt of the oil burner

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the other option that interest's me is a little 3 cylinder kubota i have its only 30 horse but produces mugh more torque might not pe a power house but i bet uou could go for eve on a tank of fuel and i would also wory about the weight penalty i thint it weighs a couple hundred pounds.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ed

The hard part would be the limitation of connecting the transmission to the Snow Trac's VARIATOR. That variator is built to connect up to the VW transmission and unless there was some sort of an adapter plate that could be designed or that exists, to connect up a Subaru transmission to the variator in the Snow Trac then I believe that any engine swap would still require the use of the original VW transmission to drive the vehicle.

The variator is the magic part inside the Snow Trac. Our member Lyndon forgot more about them then the rest of us hope to ever learn, but basically it is a proprietary part that is unique to the 2000 odd Snow Tracs that were built over a nearly 30 year period. Finding anything to match up to them that was not specifically designed to match up would be highly unlikely.

mtmogs

The hard part would be the limitation of connecting the transmission to the Snow Trac's VARIATOR.

That being said, the ST4 Villi posted pics of uses a 5 speed suby transmission with hi/lo range. Who knows if he had to machine adapters for the trans. output to the variator castings. I still see some '80's vintage subaru brats for sale that have this tranny.

I came very close to attempting to install a more modern suby 2.5L sohc engine in my snow trac a few years ago but got a little "costrophobic" at the last minute and pussed out. It's a pretty tight fit in the engine compartment. Of course there's all the other issues of cooling system, exhaust, engine management, etc. - all resolvable with cost and time. All in all, I would still like to try it someday.

FYI, attached is a pic showing dimensions of my ST4's engine compartment. If you have an engine that has a footprint less than 32" x 15.5" then it may fit. Note that the KEP adapter plate for a subaru 2.5 engine is 1/2" thick. I think the 2.5 sohc is something like 31.5" x 15.5" and would just fit without modifications. Of course the transmission can slide backwards a bit to accommodate more length in the short dimension.

Attachments

• engine_compartment.jpg
    engine_compartment.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,357

leadvillerpm

I am currently looking for a snow trac and have thought about the conversion. I own an auto repair shop and have done several conversions on bugs and buses. The motor I would use is an EJ22. It is by far the best motor suby ever ran. They started using them in 1990. The best way to do the conversions is to get a donor car as you will need the wiring harness and ecm as well as the motor, intake and exhaust.

Here is my latest conversion...1978 Champagne edition westfalia 2.2l suby
(KEP adaptor, reversed intake, radiator mounted under bus, two heater cores)...DOUBLE THE HP - DOUBLE THE FUN

For sale by the way and will take an st4b as partial trade

bus 002.jpg

bus 006.jpg

I know the vw trans can handle 150hp, but does anyone know if the variator, chains, ect can?

Ryan

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
nice looking work i have lived in alaska most of my lif and i to am a mechanic professionaly i worked flat rate and ran a shop in anchorage than got away from automotive they were getting smaller and i'm getting bigger started working hd diesel and never looked back with that said the 2 problems i remember with that motor were cam lubercation on the right side due to the lack of proper service and timing belts dont like long streaches of cold weather cold starts are prone stripping teath on distributor side.

leadvillerpm

I think you are thinking of the ea81 engines. The ej22 is direct ignition (no distributor). It has a single timing belt and i have not seen any cam issues on this engine. It has around 135 hp stock, but with no catalytic converter and cold air intake I imagine it is pushing out around 145-150.

There are a ton of subaru's in colorado and this is by far there best engine. Ea81's were chronic leakers and had t-belt issues. Ej25 have head gasket problems and premature lower end failures (I have 3 dead 2.5 subies in my shop right now).

Ryan

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe the E81 where pushrod engines (no timing belt to break) the E82 had OHC (timing belt).

gschutte

Here are some photos of a ST4 that I installed a Subaru EA82 in. I got the transmision adapter from Kennedy Engineering and the rest of the install was fabricated. While I was installing the new engine I installed disk brakes that were salvaged from the rear of a 2007 VW Beetle. The engine puts out close to 90 hp and is a good match for the Sno Trac chassis. I have put close to 60 miles on it since the new motor was installed and am very happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG00019-20120212-1737.jpg
    IMG00019-20120212-1737.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,007
  • IMG00018-20120212-1722.jpg
    IMG00018-20120212-1722.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG00022-20120212-1738.jpg
    IMG00022-20120212-1738.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG00026-20120212-1819.jpg
    IMG00026-20120212-1819.jpg