• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wider tracks or narrower????

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Been comparing notes with the two snowmobile clubs closest to us. We're all running Bomabardier BR160's. Ones got the narrower tracks, the one we've got used to have wide tracks but they were cut down and the the other machine's got the wider setup. I'm not sure on the exact measurements on each machine but, when comparing the performance of each machine, of course the one with the widest set of tracks performed the best in the deep powder. Followed by ours, then the one with the narrow tracks.......which is exactly what I expected. But, when it came to maintenance, the guys with the wider tracks keep cursing their machine every time they go out due to grousers/cleets breaking all the time. They also claim that they have a harder time keeping idlers on and the sprockets wear out faster and that it's way easier to tear a track belt with wider tracks. Anyone out there got any experience with this. I realize for floatation, you would want to go wider but when it comes to maintenance, do you guys with the wider tracks ever have problems like that?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard that asymetrical tracks are higher maintenance than symetrical tracks where the idler wheels are right down the center line of the track. I'm wondering if the wide track unit is using a asymetrical design?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Wide tracks naturally will put more strain on all components. Try turning the wider track machine and compare to a narrow track machine of the same model. This is one of the reasons the manufacturers have gone to hydraulic drive units to be able run the tracks at different speeds to lesson the problems of brake type steering associated with wide snow cats. It also takes more fuel, horsepower and maintenance to run the wide track machines. The wide tracks are for a purpose and if you do not need them use the narrow tracks and save some dollars. I am not sure the reason of "just because I might need them someday" is a valid reason to have wide tracks. Wait that someday out and go out the next day when you can do fine with the narrower tracks and think about your savings.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know our machine used to have the wider tracks but after several episodes of changing broke grousers/cleets on the side of the trail at -30, the guys who were running it at the time decided to narrow up the tracks by one belt width.