• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980s Cushman Trackster

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can anyone comment on the Tracksters performance in deep snow?

Also I've seen several people recommend a ring and pinion change when doing a 4 stroke conversion. However my searches come up with nothing as to the correct gears to purchase and install. Conversion kits appear to be available as well as most other necessary parts.

If someone has a link to the correct parts for the ring and pinion swap that would be helpful.

Just doing some initial research on what appears to be a very capable machine although not with out it's issues.

I've been lurking around here for a few months... Lots of excellent information and a great group of people thank you all in an advance.:smile:

If you search around the forum, you will see some pictures of guys going deep on it, up the high country.

Unfortunately this year has been dry in Oregon (you might know), thus we havent had any snow for me to try my machine out.

It is a smaller size snowcat, basically an ATV - something to keep in mind if you are planning to purchase, and thats where it shines...

easy to maneuver, get on/off and haul your junk around as needed.

I loved having it there that past weekend to take us onto the lake with the fishing gear and just to have fun (although a short distance).

I've got mine on CraigsList already listed, since I just still linger for that SuperImp size machine...

CRockett

Did you solve your problem with the RPM's. Did it take a sprocket change to the 7 tooth or did you go for the ring and pinion. My nieghbor is going thru much the same. Thanks for any info that you can supply. By the way nice job!!!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you solve your problem with the RPM's. Did it take a sprocket change to the 7 tooth or did you go for the ring and pinion. My nieghbor is going thru much the same. Thanks for any info that you can supply. By the way nice job!!!

I guess its just how hydro's work, talked to few guys about it, they said unless you get the engine to 5000rpms and running strong, it wont make much difference, most just run it this way.

It performs well, just not as well as some of us like it... :)

OregonShooter

I contacted Rick at trickster.com (thanks for the tip Snowtrac).

He said they do not offer a DIY gear change parts kit. The will do a gear change by exchanging hydrostat units for about $2000. He also stated that engine swaps under 30hp just cause the Trackster to be underpowered. I did a little Google searching and a 30hp Kawasaki motor is also around 2K. At this point you getting into real snow cat money. I could see having 10K into a Trackster to get everything working reliably and with the designed performance.