• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1948 Tucker Ford Flathead V8 restoration

vintagebike

I'm starting to collect the parts needed to get a rather unique Sno Cat back on the mountain next winter. The steering was long ago "repaired" using boat outboard motor pullys and cables- the original steering shaft, bottom chain gear and chain to cable links are long gone. The entire front steering/ski carrier assembly has been abused too many times to repair. Anybody have some of these bits? Thanks

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Flathead V8? Any chance this was the 424 (4 door, 2 pontoon, 2 ski) unit that was sold a year or two ago?? Could be a different machine since I think that one had a straight 8.

Any pictures you would be willing to share?

David

vintagebike

This one was a special build in red with full Ford flathead V8 running gear for the Steam Boat Springs Winter Sports Club and was used for mountain rescue. Most of the history was lost when Bill Guthrie passed last year. We pulled it out of his shop just a few short months before he died. There is no data plate but if anybody knows anything... The magazine cover shot shows her in January 1950 and the other was taken in the dark this last winter.

cat1.jpg
cat2.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely different from the machine I thought it was. Found my post, but it was a '49 in the Finger Lakes region of NY and had a straight 8. But if I remamber correctly, it looked just like yours, only streched out to add another set of doors. Don't know why I didn't save a picture from the Craigs list posting? Regret that now since it was unique and it hasn't turned back up yet.

vintagebike

Actually all the running gear is 1948 and up 8ba Ford truck- engine, transmission and rear end. It looks like nothing there was changed much, just fiddled with and patched up over the last 60+ years.

griz01

FWIW a 48 would be a 89A, 49 is the 8BA, car and truck motors are the same, unless it is a 8RT.

I really just though most would like to see the article.

48 was the last year Ford used the Torque Tube drive, is that this cat has?

vintagebike

Good news from Ben at Tucker. His search of the hand written sales records shows our cat to be 423-148038 that came with the 1947 or 48 Mercury V8. It was first sold to the Colorado State Patrol in Denver for mountain rescue use by the SteamBoat Springs Winter Sports Club. Now the work can go on.

Greg364

SUPER Site Supporter
FWIW a 48 would be a 89A, 49 is the 8BA, car and truck motors are the same, unless it is a 8RT.

I really just though most would like to see the article.

48 was the last year Ford used the Torque Tube drive, is that this cat has?

Ford trucks had the 8BA motor in 1948, a year earlier than the cars.