• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heat pump replacment?

My heat pump stopped working back in Sept, but it's been mild enough here (central MD) to not have it repaired right away.

So the guy comes by yesterday and we go over the whole unit. Turns out there is a blown part (cap?) on the control mod for the fan motor. Could be from a lightning strike or the fact that the motor didn't spin freely (he said they should spin a bit after you spin them by hand) so that put a load on the module.

He guesstimated that a new motor was expensive at $300...he calls from the distibutor and says Bryant (Carrier) has one left and its $1300 plus install!

While he was there, he asked how old the unit was (10 years) and said we should think about replacing it, since 10 was about the avg lifespan.

He called today and said a new 16 seer Rheem 3-ton unit is $7800 - $2200 in tax breaks and rebates = $5600.

So - what would you do?

I'm going to look around this weekend online for the motor and module - but I understand that can be tricky to get it to match the unit I have. That could keep it running for years more or something else could go wrong tomorrow. It may also be nice to save on heating costs with a newer more eff unit, but I wouldn't actually see savings for a few years with the cost of the new unit.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So - what would you do?
Do more shopping!!!

I don't have the receipt handy but I had a new 5-ton heat-pump as well as the interior furnace/air-handler installed for $4-5000 for everything. It's an Amana.

Oh, and a question for you. You said $2200 in tax breaks and rebates. I'm assuming that includes the max tax break for a furnace. Does he knock that off in your price or do you put it on your taxes as a deduction. Big difference.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had both heat pumps replaced last year (I think they are 2 ton-16 seer units) for 10K (Goodman). You need to get lots of price quotes when considering a replacement. I think I had a 10K price range difference in the four quotes I got. I got mine cheap enough that I bought the 10 year parts and labor warranty. I was lucky that the cheapest guy was also the most knowledgeable. Of course, he was a small father/son business so he did sales, install, and service and could answer all my questions. The other bids were by "sales" guys and they didn't seem to have the answers or want to even look at the existing system when I wanted to discuss what worked and didn't work in the old system.

The rule of thumb is to make sure the installer is good. The equipment is pretty much standard in many cases but a bad install can really cause problems.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PS. Consider changes in your house over the past 10 years to see if the same size unit is appropriate. In my case, I was finishing my basement so I needed to get a bigger unit.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Send me your model and serial number. I will get you what the contractor is paying for that motor.

the $2200 included $1500 fed, $400 BG&E, and $300 Rheem

we picked this company because my MIL's sister knew them...guess that doesn't mean we'll get a fair trial.

Are there any brands to go with or avoid?

Anyone ever pay for Angies List to find a good contractor?

the model is FK4CNF003 000AAGA
don't have the serial handy, but can get it tonight as well as numbers off the old motor/mod if needed

THANKS!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I found my guy by word of mouth. I would ask around and see if anyone else in your area has any recommendations.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
First things first. Is it just the capacitor that is blown? It will have a rating plate on it to tell the size and volts. If this is for the fan it should be a cheap part and a quick repair. They fail more from low voltage during heat spells when good old BGE cuts everybody back than from lightning. If it took a storm hit it would most likely have the terminal block on top of it blown off. Do you know any electricians? Ask them if they can hook you up with a capacitor. Should be a $30-50 part if that is all it needs. If it is a 13 seer unit it is certainly worth repairing. You will gain some efficiency from a new unit but if the current one can cool your house properly the return on a new unit will take 5-8 years. Is the outside unit in good shape without a bunch of damaged fins?

this the blower motor in the air handler unit...

here's some photos...arrow points to blown part, circuit board designation for that is PT01

is hd44ae129 the part number i should be looking for? heck, there's one on ebay now for $650 shipped

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

motor1.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck that is your air handler fan motor not the heat pump. R.E. Michel should have that as a stock item. Sid Harvey may also. The biggest drawback is the plugs for it. Hard to substitute another brand.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
That motor is a variable speed DC motor. You will have a hard time picking it up from any local place.

yea, sorry, should have been more clear-er...

the guy took it to a local distributor (don't think it was RE Michaels) they didn't have it and ended up calling Carrier, who said they had one left and it was 1300...

so hd44ae129 is what I need? (which appears to have been replaced by hd44ae132)

here's the one on ebay...(plus i have a 10% ebay coupon - woot!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD44AE129-Carri...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2303d7c0e2

shame the motor is bad - looks like the control mod is about $300

anything else i need to buy?

and the million dollar question - should I even attempt to put this back in myself or is there a chance I'll blow up the new one? I'm not sure i'd call the original guy back...he was a nice old guy - but..

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
You should have no problems replacing it, kind of plug and play. If you get a superceded one there may be some changes.

If it is a 13 seer unit it is certainly worth repairing. You will gain some efficiency from a new unit but if the current one can cool your house properly the return on a new unit will take 5-8 years. Is the outside unit in good shape without a bunch of damaged fins?

yup, just checked - 3 ton 13 seer unit...outside unit is fine...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That motor is a variable speed DC motor. You will have a hard time picking it up from any local place.
I believe if you check the rating plate it is a variable speed ac motor. As far as replacing it you should be fine. The plugs look identical. Make sure you get the blower set screw tight and clean the fan good while you have the chance.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can't totally speak for this motor but a lot of the variable motors that Carrier used the motor itself was actually DC. You wired AC to them but the computer on the end changed it. Originally the motor and computer where separated when they first started using that motor.

benspawpaw

we just replaced with a goodman 3 ton cost us about 2000 less than all the others we priced it works well 10 year parts and labor on everything sold me

if anyone was wanting an update:

I found a new replacement motor on Ebay for $650. I had a 10% off coupon and used Bing Cashback for another 15%, bringing the total down to about $500.

Got, it, put it in and it worked...been 2 weeks now, so far so good.

The original repair guy thought the old motor was bad since the shaft didn't spin freely, but the new one didn't either, so i'm guessing the old motor was still good, just the module was bad...so looks like I have a backup motor now.