• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IHOP says it's changing iconic name; pancake lovers flip out

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
IHOP says it's changing iconic name; pancake lovers flip out
By Zoe Szathmary | Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...-iconic-name-pancake-lovers-flip-out.amp.html

The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) is getting ready for a new name.

“For 60 pancakin’ years, we’ve been IHOP,” the restaurant chain said on Twitter Monday. “Now, we’re flippin’ our name to IHOb. Find out what it could b on 6.11.18. #IHOb.”

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The cynic in me only sees a marketing ploy. After they've stirred up all kind of shit, received an untold number of petitions, been lambasted on social media, they'll make an announcement, "That due to the sentiments expressed by their loyal patrons, they have decided to keep the name … IHOP".

Does anyone remember when COKE did a similar thing many years ago?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
The cynic in me only sees a marketing ploy. After they've stirred up all kind of shit, received an untold number of petitions, been lambasted on social media, they'll make an announcement, "That due to the sentiments expressed by their loyal patrons, they have decided to keep the name … IHOP".

Does anyone remember when COKE did a similar thing many years ago?

Yep
= BIG Publicity Stunt!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Kinda like Dunkin Donuts were supposed to change to just Dunkin.
Don't think it's happened yet.
Not to the ones around here anyway.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well they announced the change to IHOB stood for burgers. My guess on the change would have been breakfast. I never went in specifically for the pancakes, but for breakfast itself. If what I ordered included pancakes that was okay with me. I would never have associated them with burgers though.
I guess they will be selling some new burgers along with the change.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Well they announced the change to IHOB stood for burgers. My guess on the change would have been breakfast. I never went in specifically for the pancakes, but for breakfast itself. If what I ordered included pancakes that was okay with me. I would never have associated them with burgers though.
I guess they will be selling some new burgers along with the change.

Will you have maple syrup with those fries?
:yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
June 12, 2018
Branding meltdown: IHOP is now IHOB
By Ed Straker
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/branding_meltdown_ihop_is_now_ihob.html

In the beginning, there was the International House of Pancakes.

The Earth was young, the continents still forming, but the International House of Pancakes was already there, and it was good, and fruitful, and it multiplied, spreading across the globe.

But then, as time went on, something happened. The management felt it was too limiting to have a restaurant with the word "Pancakes" in the name, so they changed the name to the nonsensical IHOP, to obscure the word "Pancakes," much as Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC to obscure the word "Fried."

And now IHOP is changing its name again, to IHOB. The International House of Burgers.

IHOP is well known as a restaurant whose expertise is pancakes but also serves a wide variety of dinner entrées (including hamburgers). But the branding experts at IHOP decided they wanted to emphasize the burger connection, so they are changing the name to IHOB.

Only some locations are changing the name to IHOB. Others aren't changing at all. And those who are changing from IHOP to IHOB plan to later change back to IHOP again. Does this brand meddling make any sense?

An IHOP in Hollywood is getting new IHOb signs, and some others might get the treatment. But ... the vast majority of the nearly 1,800 other locations will still go by IHOP.

All this does is create brand confusion. Some people will think IHOP no longer specializes in pancakes. Some people will have no idea what IHOB means. And others will not be convinced that a pancakes restaurant can rebrand itself as a burger specialty restaurant.

And then there are other kinds of brand confusion...

Paul R. La Monica

@LaMonicaBuzz
International House of Backlash? IHOP -- excuse me, IHOb -- owner down 3% today. Hmm. But it did go up nearly 5% yesterday though and is still up 26% YTD.
3:57 PM - Jun 7, 2018

See Paul R. La Monica's other Tweets

I'll bet that the management of IHOP paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) on fancy consultants to come up with this rebranding. Just as people go to astrologers or fortune-tellers to predict their future, corporations with too much money to burn go to high-price consultants who claim to know how to market a product better than the company who hired them. Many times, they don't.

If IHOP's parent company (which also owns Applebee's) felt that the pancake restaurant model wasn't working, it could have shut down its IHOP locations, remodeled, and reopened as an entirely new brand focusing on burgers. (Like The Counter, or Five Guys, or In and Out Burger.)

But attempting to rebrand IHOP as a burger restaurant is about as likely to succeed as rebranding Pizza Hut as a steakhouse. The brand is simply too closely identified with something else.

I speak of these things not as an attorney (which I am), but as someone who has advised the retail industry for years on legal, management, and marketing issues. You can't simply switch a brand name back and forth like a light switch in some branches but not others and not expect customers to be confused. Dine Brands Global, which owns IHOP, should stop trying to put wings on a pig and think of other ways to attract more customers.

Thomas Lifson adds: Two words: "New Coke."

Ed Straker is the senior writer at Newsmachete.com.

Attachments

• 54D61845-5565-4B6D-9638-E370C069AF03.jpeg
    54D61845-5565-4B6D-9638-E370C069AF03.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 79

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
. You can't simply switch a brand name back and forth like a light switch in some branches but not others and not expect customers to be confused. Dine Brands Global, which owns IHOP, should stop trying to put wings on a pig and think of other ways to attract more customers.

:thumb: