Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Debate Forums > Religious Debate Forum

Religious Debate Forum Warning: The posts/threads contained in this section of the forum can get heated.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,125 Posts
Catavenger will become famous soon enoughCatavenger will become famous soon enough
Default 'It's what Jesus would do': Televangelist asks followers for $54m to buy private jet

Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz, or a really expensive jet airplane!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-jesu...145127518.html

Quote:
It's what Jesus would do': Televangelist asks followers for $54m to buy private jet
The Independent Samuel Osborne,The Independent 9 hours ago

A televangelist has asked his followers to donate money so he can buy a $54m private jet.

Jesse Duplantis, 68, based in Louisiana, sought the donations in a video posted on his ministry’s website.

“You know I’ve owned three different jets in my life and used them and used them and just burning them up for the Lord,” he said.

“Now, some people believe that preachers shouldn’t have jets. I really believe that preachers ought to go on every available voice, every available outlet, to get this gospel preached to the world.”

In the video, he points to pictures on the wall of previous jets he’s bought, before moving on to the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek.

“This is the Star Trek Enterprise,” he said. “This is where I’m going, praise God. What I’m believing God for.”

He went on to say: “Let me just say this: we’re believing God for a brand new Falcon 7X so we can go anywhere in the world in one stop.”

Justifying his choice of jet, he said: “Now people say ‘my Lord, can’t you go with this one?’” as he pointed to one of his older jets. “Yes, but I can’t go at one stop.”

He said he could fly cheaper with his own private jet because he has his “own fuel farm” and he “can avoid all those exorbitant prices for jet fuel all over the world”.

The televangelist went on to say God told him he needed the Dassault Falcon 7X.

“He told me: ‘Jesse, you want to come up to where I’m at?’ He said: ‘Before you ask, I’ll answer: Isaiah 65:24.’ He said: ‘I want you to believe me for a Falcon 7X.’"

He said he then wondered how he was going to pay for the jet, then claimed God told him: “Jesse, I didn’t ask you to pray for it. I asked you to believe for it.”

Mr Duplantis asked his followers to become a partner in buying the plane and help him and his wife fund the purchase, which he said would be made in cash.

“We never ask you to give anything that me and Cathy don’t give ourselves.”

He added: “I really believe that if Jesus was physically on the Earth today he wouldn’t be riding a donkey. Think about that for a minute. He’d be in an aeroplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

It comes months after another televangelist, Kenneth Copeland, brought a new Gulstream V jet “debt free” for “the Lord’s work.”

When the plane entered the market in 1998, it cost $36m.

Maybe what Jesus might do is tell him this . . .

Quote:
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Matthew 6:24
NIV
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catavenger For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (05-29-2018), mla2ofus (05-29-2018), pirate_girl (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 PM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 14,670 Times in 5,853 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'It's what Jesus would do': Televangelist asks followers for $54m to buy private

Televangelists worship money.
I'm sure some of them may start out differently.
Sooner or later the root of all evil becomes their God.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pirate_girl For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (06-17-2018), Catavenger (05-29-2018), jim slagle  (05-29-2018), mla2ofus (05-29-2018)