• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

220v on a switch

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple 220v things I would like to put on switches.

One is my well pump as I frequently switch between well and city water. I currently flip the breaker.

The other is a fan/motor off a heat pump. I pulled a heat pump out last summer but the fan motor and blades were new. My intent is to use as an exhaust fan in my building.

So, what's the correct way to put these on switches? I would like to use something similar to a regular light switch if at all possible.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
you should be able to find wall switches that are double pole to break both sides of the 220

Jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Jim,

Think a box store would have those or do I need to try an electrical supply place?

Someone told me that I only had to break 1 of the 110v lines but that didn't seem right. What does a 220v motor do it if only gets one of the 110v input lines?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A big box store might have them.

you could use a single pole and just break one leg of the 220. The motor is across both legs and doesn't use neutral unless there is a controller that needs 110. The HUGE problem is that although the device is off, there is still 110 volts on it and someone assuming since it wasn't running there wasn't any power to it could be shocked. It's also a code violation.

Jim

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What you need to ask for is a DPST switch. Double Pole Single Throw is what the letters stand for. You might also want to put a indicator light on the circuit so you know when you are on city water vs. well at a glance. Paul

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing more I can add, except make sure both wires get disconnected.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OhioTC18 said:
Nothing more I can add, except make sure both wires get disconnected.
Junkman said:
Before you start to wire in the switch....... :thumb:

You guys take the fun out of it...

Do I assume correctly on that Grainger page that I should be getting the 6th one down (Item HBL 1222)?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
You guys take the fun out of it...

Do I assume correctly on that Grainger page that I should be getting the 6th one down (Item HBL 1222)?

That is a 20A 2 pole switch. If 20A/1HP is enough then yes that is what you're looking for.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
you should get the switch before you select a box for it. The double poles are a little wider and deeper than a residential single pole. You might want an extra deep 2x4 box or use a 4x4 with a single switch adaptor cover.

use the screw terminals instead of the push ins on the back. Lot more reliable.

Jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jim slagle said:
you should get the switch before you select a box for it. The double poles are a little wider and deeper than a residential single pole. You might want an extra deep 2x4 box or use a 4x4 with a single switch adaptor cover.

use the screw terminals instead of the push ins on the back. Lot more reliable.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get boxes at the same time. The wall they're being mounted to doesn't even exist yet so I have plenty of flexibility.

I ALWAYS use the screw terminals on switches and receptacles.