• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What did you do to prep today?

Kane

:flowers: we're tight-knit. it's all good.
Methinks we're talking about the wrong "we", luvs. Your "we's" are fine. It's the millions of other ill-prepared "we's" wandering the streets looking in vain for their government to give them more. These are the "we's" you should be concerned about.

So. Do you own a small pistol?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Next time you're at the junk yard, look around for an old 12V CB radio. Could be invaluable.
We have a set of GMRS handheld radios. They work well but I think they are only good when communicating with other people who are using another GMRS radio, I don't think they can communicate with a CB radio.

Another thing about the GMRS is I've only been able to find them in a handheld model. I would like to have a dash installed model so that it's always with me and not dependent on me remembering to keep it charged.

What would you suggest Kane?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Added a 5-pack of tooth paste, 48 boxes of Ramon Noodles, 2-24 can boxes of chicken soup, 100 rolls of toilet paper, noodles, and 2 large bags of dog treats. Everything we bought has a shelf life of at least 2 years. Cept for the t-paper… that should last a little longer. :biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Added a 5-pack of tooth paste, 48 boxes of Ramon Noodles, 2-24 can boxes of chicken soup, 100 rolls of toilet paper, noodles, and 2 large bags of dog treats. Everything we bought has a shelf life of at least 2 years. Cept for the t-paper… that should last a little longer. :biggrin:

Not if you eat all those Ramen noodles. :yum::yum::yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Don't forget Dinty Moore beef and chicken stew. We happen to like it and the self life is very long. Out to 2016 right now I believe. Everyone needs Dinty Moore on their preppers shelf right next to the Spam. :clap:

This is a good thread. Keep the good ideas coming fellas.

I gotta go now, the dog is barking and I wonder if a few zombies have wandered on the property. Bastiges!!

Kane

We have a set of GMRS handheld radios. They work well but I think they are only good when communicating with other people who are using another GMRS radio, I don't think they can communicate with a CB radio.

Another thing about the GMRS is I've only been able to find them in a handheld model. I would like to have a dash installed model so that it's always with me and not dependent on me remembering to keep it charged.

What would you suggest Kane?
I know very little about radios, but it seems the GMRS you speak of are more of a walkie-talkie. No?

On the other hand, the CB radio was the latest and greatest technology amongst the '60s good-buddy crowd and could surf the entire band of citizens' frequencies. Probably the thing to resurrect if the cellular systems would go down (which would be likely in a cyber SHTF scenario). They can take down the cells, but they cannot take out the frequencies dedicated to the old 12V line-of-sight CB. I think.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget Dinty Moore beef and chicken stew. We happen to like it and the self life is very long. Out to 2016 right now I believe. Everyone needs Dinty Moore on their preppers shelf right next to the Spam. :clap:

This is a good thread. Keep the good ideas coming fellas.

I gotta go now, the dog is barking and I wonder if a few zombies have wandered on the property. Bastiges!!
Tinned baked beans, tinned spaghetti... tuna in the pouch (easy zip off).. same with micro rice mixes (can and would eat them all cold)- saltines.
Cheap bottled water.
Baby wipes, kleenex.
The gun and ammo.
I think Gretchen would fit in my bug out bag, AND her food as well :yum:

Oh wait, my shortwave radio (the Grundig Yacht Boy 400)-- and plenty of batteries.
This thing has been dropped numerous times, run over and fell in the lake and it still works like brand new lol

thumbnail.aspx.jpg

2012-06-25 00-50-36.969.jpg

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That radio is a good thing to have.

15 years ago I came to the country after being a big city boy for my whole life. Not quite because I had stayed and worked on my inlaws farm for years but I was totally unprepared for full time country living.

That first year we had 6 friends come out from Dallas for a long week-end of burning meat and drinking beer. On Friday night we had a big storm come through and it knocked out the power and we lost the water. On Saturday, with all 4 toilets full and unflushable (disgusting), I had to ask them all to go home early. That outage lasted till Monday morning. All the freezers defrosted and we lost a lot of foodstuffs too. We managed to get some of it put up with friends and relatives but not all of it. That's when I decided that I was never going to get caught like that again.

The second thing that drove it home that first year was when there were tornadoes on the ground all around us and we had to get underneath the house for safety. Our basement is built like a bomb shelter so we were pretty safe down there but what do you and the dogs do for 6 hours if you don't have a game plan and haven't at least made some preparations? ... Stand and stare at each other. Now we can live reasonably comfortably under there without power and water for a day if need be. It's just like camping. And yes TR, there is a can of Dinty Moore beef stew down there.

No, I'm not a Doomsday Prepper but it's stupid to ignore the certainty of losing power and water and living conditions becoming unmanageable but once the initial game plan is in place it's not too difficult to extend it to cover any length of emergency that you want.

No Luvs, it's not called being paranoid, it's called being prudent. :)

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I helped make some room in the freezer by cooking up some maple sugar sausage for an early lunch!:clap: Wish I could afford to get a bulk tank for gasoline as that is the only thing really lacking around here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I helped make some room in the freezer by cooking up some maple sugar sausage for an early lunch!:clap: Wish I could afford to get a bulk tank for gasoline as that is the only thing really lacking around here.

Mmmm the sausage sure sounds good. :thumb:

As for a bulk tank, how long can you expect our ethanol treated gas to last? I thought it started breaking down in a very short time span so that it would do more harm to your engine than good.
Is there something you can treat it with (like fuel stabilizer) to make sure it lasts longer?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Stabil helps as does buying mid grade or high test. I know i get much better mileage with my mower on mid grade.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, having enough gas is one thing that worries me. How much is enough? I usually keep about 25 gallons set aside exclusively for the generator(s) and about another 20 for all the gas powered equipment. I rotate it out within a year.

I read somewhere once that untreated gas stays usable for about 3 months. That came from one of the oil company webpages or blogs so may be a little conservative. Gas treated with Stab-il remains "fresh" for up to one year. If you double the amount of Stab-il they say (Stab-il) that it remains usable for up to 2 years but I've never tried keeping it that long. I usually double the amount of Stab-il and rotate it after a year.

As Muley said, buying a higher grade of gas also helps.

One of these days I'll have to put a standby natural gas generator on the house or buy a diesel generator or a PTO generator, and stop having to mess with so much gasoline.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a neighbor who not only has 4 roosters that are genetically defective and scream all day, but he literally bought a jackass! Holy shit, you think someone got stabbed when it starts it's earsplitting scream!! WTF is this new 'neighbor' thinking? I honestly have had absolutely nothing to do with his continuous loss of glass in his pickup, but I did fry up a couple of big sponges in bacon grease for the jackass. :flowers: They got really small and smelled great. I just pitched them over the fence as I drove by. Looked like he went right for them. :smile:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As for a bulk tank, how long can you expect our ethanol treated gas to last? I thought it started breaking down in a very short time span so that it would do more harm to your engine than good.
Is there something you can treat it with (like fuel stabilizer) to make sure it lasts longer?
Use the Marine Formula StaBil (which is better) and it'll last a solid year but in year 2, the engines run but don't like it much.

I keep about 500 gallons of gas and 250 each of diesel and kero. Another 1000+ pounds of propane in 100# tanks.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I use Seafoam in all my gas cans 2 & 4 cycle. It's even good for diesel. Better than your run of the mill stabil. More expensive too. If you are going to try and store gasoline I would recommend non ethanol type. I believe it is available most places, at least seasonally during the summer months. That is all a lot of boaters only use.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
okay, yinz got me thinkin'. i'll pack surgical scrub, 2 washcloths- 1 for wet, another for drying, purell, a toothbrush, screw the toothpaste; a box of baking soda is versatile, cleans teeth, etc. (pop, i say- baking pop!). i have cases & cases of nutritional supplements. meds- called in last nite fer extras. girly items, t.p., deoderant & soap.
other than 'at, my home is well-stocked.

Kane

okay, yinz got me thinkin'. i'll pack surgical scrub, 2 washcloths- 1 for wet, another for drying, purell, a toothbrush, screw the toothpaste; a box of baking soda is versatile, cleans teeth, etc. (pop, i say- baking pop!). i have cases & cases of nutritional supplements. meds- called in last nite fer extras. girly items, t.p., deoderant & soap.
other than 'at, my home is well-stocked.
Oh, and don't forget a fresh box of bullets for that little pistol you own. :flowers:

If I must say, that's a very nice piece.

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good Luvs, at least we got you thinking about it. Everybody's needs and requirements are different. Some just want to scrape by for a couple of days and others want to lead as normal a life as possible, however long it lasts.

Can I ask you what you are going to cook on in this well stocked house of yours if the power goes off.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
the gas stove or the grill my buddy owns. much of my food is sustainable. only dairy would be tossed. dry ice & the coolers for the items i like enough to keep, like steak, seafood, lamb lollipops, veal cut 4 scallopine.....

& should all else fail, there's nutren. it's like ensure.

kane, my niece has got me covered.

Attachments

• IMG_007116.jpg
    IMG_007116.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
the gas stove or the grill my buddy owns. much of my food is sustainable. only dairy would be tossed. dry ice & the coolers for the items i like enough to keep, like steak, seafood, lamb lollipops, veal cut 4 scallopine.....

kane, my niece has got me covered.

I knew what the answer would be when I asked the question. All you people who like to cook have natural gas. Hey, I'm 6 miles away from the nearest town and we have natural gas ..... because my wife likes to cook. If the house hadn't had it I doubt that I would have been allowed to buy it. You foodies are all the same. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Hey, I like the menu, invite me over.

Your niece is a sweetheart. She may not protect you but there are lots of people who would protect her, me among them.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
thanx- raynin is the luv of my life. i'd give anything feasible for that 'lil baby-luv. my nephews, my brother/sil, too.

btw, dinner is tbd, so how 'bout crabcakes sammiches w/ wasabi aioli or remoulade, roast veggies, & potatoes w/ cream & truffles~

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
so how 'bout crabcakes sammiches w/ wasabi aioli or remoulade, roast veggies, & potatoes w/ cream & truffles~

get cookin'. :clap::clap::clap:

The only thing is that I'm borderline diabetic so no bread and potatoes at the same meal so serve the crabcake "naked" and I'll be a happy little camper.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i cooked. where 'ya at~

i thought of a few other items. dry or aseptecially packaged milk. mori-nu silken tofu. that's shelf-stable, too. k'bossy. nuts. pasta. a wristwatch. trash can liners. so many uses, there. oh, yeah, a personal fan that takes batteries. if it's summertime, anyhow.

Last edited:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
topped up at the butchers on steak....and also prepped a road map for my wife for her holiday.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hear is a utube vid that i ran across that really hit home,the beginning has a short movie clip that is part of what this man is trying to convey.how many friends do you really have?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzeNyIOJvKw"]One of the most important Preps to make and I can't tell you how. - YouTube[/ame]